Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on service plans for new Model S 85 (drives 600 miles/week, 31,200 miles/year)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the links, I read every one. I hope that is still the case because Jerome Guillen has been "on leave" for at least 6 months and all those posts are from 2014.
Those weren't all from Jerome, some were from ownership (the predecessor to servicehelpna) and I mentioned one from Elon himself, but I couldn't easily find it. But recall my initial caveat:
Green1:1333436 said:
of course as it's not written in the plan, they can change their mind at any time...

Thanks for all the links, I read every one. I hope that is still the case because Jerome Guillen has been "on leave" for at least 6 months and all those posts are from 2014.

I emailed ownership and specifically asked if I could do it once a year. They confirmed by email that it was indeed the case.

The service department knew about the once a year regardless of mile option, and has been doing it that way for my cars.

Also a high mileage drive, looks pretty close to your mileage. At about 30 months of ownership, I have 75K miles. I bought both the prepaid service plan and the ESA with my car.

I took my car in for annual service once a year--as other folks have discussed, Tesla is ignoring the milage as long as I bring it in every year. My advice is to do the annual service (prepaid or not is your choice)--your car is a $100K+ investment, to me it makes sense to be proactive with maintenance. I am not sure if I would buy the ESA again--my car has been pretty trouble-free. If things continue as they have, I am not going to get my money's worth with the ESA. In fact, for our MX, I'll not be signing up for the ESA again.

When I was at the Service Centre less than 2 months ago (prior to delivery) I spoke to an employee in some detail about the prepaid service plans and was told same as what's mentioned in the above link, i.e. you can use the 4 prepaid service visits whenever you want, whether every 12months, or 6 or 18 months - they are just 4 prepaid visits. I wish they would update the written details in the agreement itself to avoid confusion, the document clearly says otherwise

Hello,

Recently took delivery of a new Model S85 and we *love* driving this amazing car.

We use it to commute to work (115 miles/day round trip) and also use it on the weekends, so I estimate we'll be putting about 600 miles/week and 32,200 miles/year on the car.

With that in mind, was hoping to get some advice on which (if any) of the Tesla service plans would be right to purchase for our car:

Annual inspection (every year or 12,500 miles): $600
*We'd hit 12,500 miles about 4.5 months from now

Four year prepaid service (one inspection per year, up to 50,000 miles): $1,900
*We'd hit 50,000 miles about 16 months from now

Eight year prepaid service (one inspection per year, up to 100,000 miles): $3,800

. We live nearby the Burbank Service Center in Southern California, so getting to a Service Center quickly is not an issue.

For high mileage drivers (like you and me) I don't think the pre-paid service plans make sense. Nor does the extended warranty. And the annual service is just that, at most.

I passed 50K miles in 20 months. I didnt extend the warranty, didnt pre-pay the service plans and have only had 1 "annual" service so far (at 24K). When I get to 24 months ill consider a second annual service.

With lower miles its a different story, but these plans are written for low mileage drivers (even if emails etc claim different behavior) and the extended warranty wouldn't last 2 years at the pace you go.