Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

advice: what should I offer for this 2016 S 70 transferable SC01?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
private owner, red, under 16K miles, 238 range@100%, mint condition, garage-kept;
warranty will expire in early 2024?
looking to offer good deal for me without insulting friendly owner;
was priced at $46.5K, dropped to $43.5K, dropped to $41.5K...
listed at least month without selling;
only red comparables are dealer-held, double the miles, & $34.5K;
don't know if dealer includes their own warranty...
Should it be $36K? $37K? $38K? $39K? lower? higher?
(please don't post link to it, might disturb owner)
😱 😱 😱 😱 😱
thanks in advance, regards.

Last edited:
Challenge here is that seller wants a lot (too much) for the low mileage, but the S70 is not that sought after in the used market. If car still has MCU1, I would use that as the rationale for starting low. Don't worry about insulting the friendly owner; if you submit your bid respectfully, owner will be willing to come back to you if no one else is interested. I'd probably start around 34K.

The under 16K mileage is not as valuable as it might seem, given that the warranty is going to run out in ~1 year. You can get a lot more car for the same money - what you would be paying for here is the shiny red low mileage and SC01, but less power, range, and a 7 y.o. battery.

Thanks for responses.
234 or 238, long distance driving will be station spacing dependent, right?

Another question, if known: Tesla boosted trade-in $$ for SC01, is trade-in $$ for this vehicle known?
I want to be reasonably above that, right? 🫣 🫣 🫣

Have just queried seller wrt MCU...

Last edited:
private owner, red, under 16K miles, 238 range@100%, mint condition, garage-kept;
warranty will expire in early 2024?
looking to offer good deal for me without insulting friendly owner;
was priced at $46.5K, dropped to $43.5K, dropped to $41.5K...
listed at least month without selling;
only red comparables are dealer-held, double the miles, & $34.5K;
don't know if dealer includes their own warranty...
Should it be $36K? $37K? $38K? $39K? lower? higher?
(please don't post link to it, might disturb owner)
😱 😱 😱 😱 😱
thanks in advance, regards.
Holy crap, thats almost what my 90D range is at 100%, I only get about 245 rated miles at 100% on my Model S 90D!

Thanks for specific suggestion.
If willing to say, what is too much, back off & wait...?
I agree with other posters that seller needs to show you the actual rated range, not ideal. Then you need to decide how much you value an older car with not great range, not much warranty left, and a large rear drive unit that's known to be not very reliable. I suggested offering less than 35K because you would need to be prepared for large out-of-warranty costs. In this market, 35K is already a lot for a Tesla that has little warranty left, but you'd probably need to pay that for the shiny red low mileage SC01 aspects.

To be quite honest, overall, Mileage isn't much of a factor on these cars. A lot of battery wear is age as well.
Locally, in Wisconsin, I'm seeing 90D Model S's going for 40k or less. You'd be much better off that route. for the price. I'd offer $32k for that, and I'd go as high as maybe 38 if it's extremely clean.

(EV newbie)
$32K & $34K thanks.

My bad on 238 range.
😱 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱
Seller in first email stated,
"Mine, due to its very low mileage, has very minimal degradation as original maximum mileage was 234 and remains there."
Shortly after I may have gotten 238 from an EV range estimator that was mentioned in this forum...?
Maybe that estimator's 238 was "ideal"...?
Ideal = perfect conditions??

Are there reports of older batteries being replaced by Tesla at owners' expense? How old?
Can replacement be bigger, say, 100kWh, without stripping SC01?

Does anyone know Tesla's current trade-in value for this vehicle? SC01 was raised recently, right?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
(EV newbie)
$32K & $34K thanks.

My bad on 238 range.
😱 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱
Seller in first email stated,
"Mine, due to its very low mileage, has very minimal degradation as original maximum mileage was 234 and remains there."
Shortly after I may have gotten 238 from an EV range estimator that was mentioned in this forum...?
Maybe that estimator's 238 was "ideal"...?
Ideal = perfect conditions??

Are there reports of older batteries being replaced by Tesla at owners' expense? How old?
Can replacement be bigger, say, 100kWh, without stripping SC01?

Does anyone know Tesla's current trade-in value for this vehicle? SC01 was raised recently, right?
Thanks in advance.
Not sure what trade in currently is, but, they are usually the lowest in terms of trade in value compared to others like carmax, or carvana. Private party will usually yield considerably more than teslas valuation.

It don't. Seller advised,
"My MCU has been replaced. The service advisor reported to me after the recall was
performed about a year ago that I now had the latest, high memory MCU available."
👍 👍 👍 👍 👍
The recall didn't upgrade the MCU, so the only way it's MCU2 is if the seller PAID the ~$1500 to have it done. I can't tell if the seller is just naive or if they're being deliberately disingenuous.

If you want to buy this car you need to either go inspect it thoroughly in person or start asking for some photographic evidence of the complete state and configuration.

I'd start with pictures of the "software” and "additional vehicle info" screens in the MCU.

A picture of the mileage display under "controls->display" showing that it's set to "rated" instead of "ideal".

A picture of the rated range with the car charged to 100% (if this car truly has NO degradation whatsoever 7 years after being produced, it's the only one in existence I've ever come across).

You could also just share the listing so that people who know this stuff can offer up commentary directly instead of guessing based on third-hand partial information. Not sure why all the hush-hush.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Ok, so it's this one:

Autotrader - 2016 Model S 70

Seller has a picture showing the car charged to 238 miles at 100%. The ONLY way that's possible is with the range set to ideal (i.e. "liars mode"). That car probably charges to ~210 miles when set to rated.

Software version shown on the MCU picture (2022.8.10.5) is a MCU1 release. Car definitely doesn't have MCU2.

The seller is either clueless or not being honest. Maybe both.

It don't. Seller advised,
"My MCU has been replaced. The service advisor reported to me after the recall was
performed about a year ago that I now had the latest, high memory MCU available."
additionally, seller stated,
"Don't know if it is a 1 or 2, but there have been no problems with it."

As to 238, 234, or 210 when set to "rated", emailing seller asap.
Thanks for advice. Only reason for not posting link was fear of other buyer swooping in... 😱 😱 😱

There are a lot of options that the car could or could not have and that could make a big swing from 28K to 35K in my opinion. Using a site like @EV-CPO (https://ev-cpo.com/) you can get a rough estimate of how some cars have been sold with that configuration from Tesla directly as a used car (or find used cars directly from Tesla for $46k):
1679360280544.png

If you look at private sellers a site like https://OnlyUsedTesla.com can also give you a rough idea as well.

Looks like the listing was found by @ucmndd . While the car is VERY clean it is missing a few of the more premium options like air suspension, Ultra Hifi sound package and I think the power liftgate, additionally it doesn't have the $1500 MCU2 upgrade. With the battery/motor warranty expiring Dec 2023 I would assume a build date of Dec 2015.

I would put a price that I would be willing to pay about $28k but that is because I know I would want the MCU2 upgrade as soon as I got it to make it feel much more modern. Also because I value dual motor, performance (This is just about the slowest Tesla you can buy with a 0-60 at 5.5 seconds), ride comfort (air suspension) and a snappy user interface (MCU2) more that what this car can provide.

If you don't value those items as much as me then I think that maybe $34k-35k just because the car is so clean but I feel that you would be overpaying.

Attachments

• 1679358309994.png
    1679358309994.png
    351.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited: