Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Shield Panel

Have you had to replace a M3 aero shield panel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I had my 2018 for 34k miles and had to replace it once. Never again. My 2020 has over 20k miles now and has not required replacement.

I think the key is not to hit the standing water at high speed. That's what did it for me in the first place. And no, I did not pay. The front shield ripped and they replaced both.

That being said, what is the stance of other automakers on replacing damaged "fabric" undercarriages?

Tesla do not want to cover the cost as part of the warranty.... which in Scotland is total BS as its wet and snowy a large percentage of the year!

As for the sound absorption point... why not wrap a hard plastic part in fabric to achieve both audio dampening and a part that doesn't essentially melt when it gets wet!!!
I'm pretty sure it doesn't melt when it gets wet. It may be felt-like, but it's still made from plastic. It's not like it's made from paper. As far as I can see, the people who have it fall of had it ripped out, not that it "melted".

Register an account just to share exactly the same issue with my 2021 Tesla Model 3, with only 2000 miles. The problem occurred when we were driving at normal city speed (40mph) while raining. We are not sure if we have bumped into any deep speed bump, but we had certainly driven through one or two water puddles. Tesla insisted that the damage was caused by "outside forces" and refused to repair it under warranty. I paid $204 for the repair.

I suppose tesla is designed to stay in a garage to avoid "outside forces".

Attachments

• tesla_aero_shield.jpg
    tesla_aero_shield.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
My Chevy Volt had the same issue. Lots of cars have aero panels now, and they are prone to possible shredding if you're not careful.

Do you need it? No.
^^^ This. Every car I have owned for the past 15 yrs has had some sort of underbody Aero type cover. I have seen them made from the fiber material usu. because they need the flexibility to fit into nooks of the undercarriage. Most have enoiugh fasteners to keep them in place and rigid once installed. My 2009 Benz SL550 had plastic underbody panels as did my 2018 Kia Stinger. I had to replace the one on my 2009 Accord as my Gf ran thru a rutted up dirt road. It was one of the fiber type units and i purchased a replacement from Amazon for short money. Can't speak to my M3 as i have not had it long enough to run over too much stuff yet and I live in the desert so it doesn't see water unless I run the hose under it.

Register an account just to share exactly the same issue with my 2021 Tesla Model 3, with only 2000 miles. The problem occurred when we were driving at normal city speed (40mph) while raining. We are not sure if we have bumped into any deep speed bump, but we had certainly driven through one or two water puddles. Tesla insisted that the damage was caused by "outside forces" and refused to repair it under warranty. I paid $204 for the repair.

I suppose tesla is designed to stay in a garage to avoid "outside forces".
I does look like it got hooked on something and torn out but that leading edge should be protected by another body panel so it doesn't act like a scoop. If it is not, then it is a poor design as Aero wind running against that leading edge would certainly be caught, causing it to sag and act as a scoop, eliminating any 'Aero' effect it is intended to create. Most undercarriage shielding blends and is tucked under the body panel in front of it starting at the front bumper cover and continuing to the rearmost panel. Now you'll make me look at mine to see how this panel is fitted.

There are some skid plates on amazon that look exactly like the RPM ones. Has anyone bought any of these? Both are aluminum.

Thanks for the explanation of high water. It also sucked off two of my aero covers as well.. I couldn't figure out how I ripped the cover and yet there was no damage to the underbody around it....now it all makes sense! Lesson Learned!

There are some skid plates on amazon that look exactly like the RPM ones. Has anyone bought any of these? Both are aluminum.

Thanks for the explanation of high water. It also sucked off two of my aero covers as well.. I couldn't figure out how I ripped the cover and yet there was no damage to the underbody around it....now it all makes sense! Lesson Learned!
All the plates that look the same are made in China, so I'd buy whichever is cheapest. Might be cheaper on AliExpress, but will have to wait a while for it to arrive.

I've got a 2021 MYP and the aero shields for front and rear are all a thick plastic (Looks like either ABS or PP to me, couldnt see die marks with material identification without lifting the car). The rear one was knocked loose last week when I was driving in the rain. It buckled and folded back, making a horrific noise. I was able to (in the rain) manage to get it unfolded and enough back into position to get home driving slowly. I did a bit of surgery at home to get it stable enough to last until mobile service, which should be today. They are quoting $364 for the repair, crossing fingers that a coffee and pleasant demeanor will help get that waived.

I'm personally not outraged that they would charge for replacement of this, nor that older designs used a felt material. It seems likely that the most common failure would be due to outside factors that would not fall under warranty. Stuff happens and I'm not an automotive engineer with the experience to critique their design choices. The panels that failed on my vehicle certainly seemed remarkably stout (judging by how hard I had to kick them to get them back into position). Building anything involves tradeoffs, otherwise every car would be build from all-titanium and would cost $750,000.

Reactions: android04
I've got a 2021 MYP and the aero shields for front and rear are all a thick plastic (Looks like either ABS or PP to me, couldnt see die marks with material identification without lifting the car). The rear one was knocked loose last week when I was driving in the rain. It buckled and folded back, making a horrific noise. I was able to (in the rain) manage to get it unfolded and enough back into position to get home driving slowly. I did a bit of surgery at home to get it stable enough to last until mobile service, which should be today. They are quoting $364 for the repair, crossing fingers that a coffee and pleasant demeanor will help get that waived.

I'm personally not outraged that they would charge for replacement of this, nor that older designs used a felt material. It seems likely that the most common failure would be due to outside factors that would not fall under warranty. Stuff happens and I'm not an automotive engineer with the experience to critique their design choices. The panels that failed on my vehicle certainly seemed remarkably stout (judging by how hard I had to kick them to get them back into position). Building anything involves tradeoffs, otherwise every car would be build from all-titanium and would cost $750,000.
I'd look closely at that panel to make sure that all the bolts were installed.

Reactions: MarkThisDay
My PD3+ is an August 2018 build (purchased Sept 2018), and has 56,000 miles. Had my rear one to rip once, about 2 years ago, and have never had an issue since. Fixed as “goodwill’ at the time, as they didn’t think I had done anything to cause it.