TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Aero Wheels on MX to improve range!?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Brandon332, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

Are aero wheel covers on a MX possible? The removable "Aero" wheel covers on the Model 3 improve its range by 10%, which is a ton. Would be awesome if they/someone come out with covers for MX wheels that did that. Is this possible? :O

• Like x 1
  2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I know some people have made covers for S wheels before the original aero wheels were a thing, but haven't seen anything for the X. However, I would take the stated 10% supposed improvement with a grain of salt. That is most likely under ideal conditions at steady highway speed with no wind. Lower speeds, stop and go traffic, cross winds, etc. will lower or altogether negate the improvements. It is hard to estimate what the range improvement would correlate to on the X. The 3 is already lighter, more aerodynamic, smaller tires for better rolling resistance, etc compared to the X. These issues with the X may mask any efficiency gain achieved by wheel covers.

Worth testing and experimenting with. May want to search over in the S forum for some posts.

• Like x 1
  3. jrichey

jrichey Member

I was actually just thinking the same thing. Even if it isn't 10%, a 5% improvement for highway driving would be awesome.

4. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

buy a set that are meant for the S and let us know how it goes! (same bolt pattern)