Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Wheels on MX to improve range!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know some people have made covers for S wheels before the original aero wheels were a thing, but haven't seen anything for the X. However, I would take the stated 10% supposed improvement with a grain of salt. That is most likely under ideal conditions at steady highway speed with no wind. Lower speeds, stop and go traffic, cross winds, etc. will lower or altogether negate the improvements. It is hard to estimate what the range improvement would correlate to on the X. The 3 is already lighter, more aerodynamic, smaller tires for better rolling resistance, etc compared to the X. These issues with the X may mask any efficiency gain achieved by wheel covers.

Worth testing and experimenting with. May want to search over in the S forum for some posts.

Reactions: TOBASH
Are aero wheel covers on a MX possible? The removable "Aero" wheel covers on the Model 3 improve its range by 10%, which is a ton. Would be awesome if they/someone come out with covers for MX wheels that did that. Is this possible? :O
I was actually just thinking the same thing. Even if it isn't 10%, a 5% improvement for highway driving would be awesome.

Strongly considering getting a set of these wheels and testing them out on the X with all-season tires. But I’m curious if anyone that has the 19” aero wheels (part 1008796-00-B)
that were designed for the Model S knows the max load rating? Was there a manual or info sheet that included this information?

The good old days! ...........Moon Hub Caps

full-moon-hubcap-wiz-larg.jpg
IMG_3242.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Are aero wheel covers on a MX possible? The removable "Aero" wheel covers on the Model 3 improve its range by 10%, which is a ton. Would be awesome if they/someone come out with covers for MX wheels that did that. Is this possible? :O

Here's a side thought to derail the conversation a little.

I recently plasti-dipped my 20" wheels. I had dipped my 22" wheels prior, but this was the first time I did the 20's. When I finished I picked up the wheel off the ground and saw there was very little paint underneath the wheel. That's when I realized how little space was available between the spokes compared to the 22's. I then wondered - what if the primary factor to the 10-15% range loss on the 22's isn't due to weight or increased contact patch; what if it was due to aero?

Reactions: Bogobec