Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Affording a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, find someone to give you an apartment.

If that's how you see it. Like I said, I'm fully aware of how it helped but we would've been in a good position to afford one within a few years without it.

Even with the apartment, if our monthly finances weren't in order, we would be in no position to be buying one. That's the point. Good job on dismissing everything else!

Nice work hitting all of your financial goals while still purchasing a new X 100D in mid 20s. No easy feat. Keep on tracking your finances, and enjoy your new ride. Hopefully you'll be able to ride it till it dies, and hopefully that will be many years from now!

Thanks! Ecstatic that we had this door open to us earlier than we expected, but like you're saying, the work isn't done yet... It's continuous. Looking forward to all the fun rides to come. Happy to join the family!

Reactions: Scoopa
I've got a question for you guys...I know its going to come down to personal preference, but I'd love to hear different schools of thought:

What is a good amount of $ to be saving monthly after all expenses? I know there are blogs and sites out there, but I'd like to know what real people do/think. If we were to purchase a Tesla, after all our expenses, we would be saving about $2,500 a month, which comes to approximately 35% of our post tax income.

We do not have any children (yet) but are thinking about starting a family in the next year or so if that makes a difference.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: jbcarioca
I've got a question for you guys...I know its going to come down to personal preference, but I'd love to hear different schools of thought:

What is a good amount of $ to be saving monthly after all expenses? I know there are blogs and sites out there, but I'd like to know what real people do/think. If we were to purchase a Tesla, after all our expenses, we would be saving about $2,500 a month, which comes to approximately 35% of our post tax income.

We do not have any children (yet) but are thinking about starting a family in the next year or so if that makes a difference.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would say that's a hard question to answer without having all your financial info (and I'm not asking for all your financial info).

Someone saving 35% of their post tax income after maxing out their 401ks and IRAs and HSAs and FSAs and 529s and Dependent daycares (which you don't have kids, I realize you don't do this) and and and and... is very different than someone saving 35% and not contributing to their 401ks/IRAs/529s/etc. at all.

I would say that's a hard question to answer without having all your financial info (and I'm not asking for all your financial info).

Someone saving 35% of their post tax income after maxing out their 401ks and IRAs and HSAs and FSAs and 529s and Dependent daycares (which you don't have kids, I realize you don't do this) and and and and... is very different than someone saving 35% and not contributing to their 401ks/IRAs/529s/etc. at all.

FWIW we are maxing out all of those that apply to us. I am putting around 15% of my pre tax income to 401k (company match to 6%) and my wife is putting about 10% to hers. I got the post tax income from what actually hits our bank accounts each month.

Just looking for different ideas as I've read things from all over the place and having a car payment of around $1,000 kind of scares me as I currently drive a Focus ST which was purchased for $26k in 2014.

FWIW we are maxing out all of those that apply to us. I am putting around 15% of my pre tax income to 401k (company match to 6%) and my wife is putting about 10% to hers. I got the post tax income from what actually hits our bank accounts each month.

Just looking for different ideas as I've read things from all over the place and having a car payment of around $1,000 kind of scares me as I currently drive a Focus ST which was purchased for $26k in 2014.
The car payment was a little scary too, our previous car was about 1/3 of the Tesla price.

Post Tesla payment we're in the same ballpark (somewhat higher $, somewhat lower %), but besides 401ks/etc. we also contribute to both kids 529s and pay for preschool and kids activities.

So take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: Struja

My spouse and I have no children and are now in our 70's. So, reflecting, this is what we did.

From 18-27 everything I made I spent on education. In cash build I did not save except to pay for my next degree, but I ddi make enough money to pay for all my education from Bachelors to PhD on my own without help other than those invaluable, no longer existing, US Federal Government Grants and also education reimbursement by a couple of employers.

Second, through 15 years we travelled, lived in 16 countries and visited/worked in >150. That can be expensive, but somebody else paid for most of our travel. During that time I started businesses controlled by others, there were a half-dozen, located in a variety of LDC's. We saved nearly all our income in some of those years because there was no easy way to spend.

The next 25 years I started and ran companies controlled by me, there were five in total. One went broke, two I sold for substantial profits, one was more than that. One I kept.
During the business formation period we saved in two ways, building they businesses and real estate. We kept enough cash for six months running.

During all that time I never had an explicit goal to save x% of income. I did concentrate on building a business and did buy real estate and make improvements ranging from big city apartments to houses, usually doing gut rehabilitations. Those generated capital as did the company sales.

Once I effectively 'retired' I switched my emphasis to investment management and have had as a goal spending less than 80% of my income. Thanks to good luck in several situations we have yet to spend more than 70% of cash income.

This may not be helpful, but my personal advice is to do what you love doing, and avoid debt as much as possible. Maintain high liquidity, but expect to begin 'saving' vs 'investing' sometime around 45-50 years of age. before then make sure that what you do will help you be better prepared to handle whatever life throws your way.

I know investment advisors don't recommend this approach, after all they don't make much transactional income this way.

I am biased.
I loved travel, so I got jobs that made me travel;
I loved airplanes, so I started three aviation businesses, so I got to fly a lot;
I love cars, so I got auto maker clients which helped my car fixation;
My spouse and I both loved rebuilding houses, so we bought wrecks and rebuilt them;
We love skiing , so we rebuild a couple of ski houses;
We love diving, so we bought an island and rebuilt it.

Basically I think it is hard not to be financially successful if you study hard, learn about fundamentals, do what you love to do and avoid blowing money on frivolities, except when you sometimes cannot resist.

This may sound undisciplined but it does demand lots of long hours studying things and doing things you really love while making a living doing those things does make a risk of no longer loving the things in question. I have had this type of discussion with a number of people who are in a situation similar to mine. All of us are well enough off that we will not run out of money. None of us ever really had a long term financial plan and none of us do today. of my closest colleagues, all of us have had financial planners and all of us eliminated them. All of us do have at least one accountant and at least one attorney. Those last two go with the turf.

I realize I did not exactly answer your question. I hope it might be useful anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Max* and stan23
Jesus..........tell us more!!

I'm assuming that 'an island' means the same in the US as here in UK? I know you guys have funny names for things :)
It actually was in the Bahamas, near Great Exuma. It has a different meaning than in the UK since "Great Britain" is a group of islands, IIRC, rather larger than are "The Exumas, even though the Exumas are rather more numerous than are the islands nearby the island containing most of England, Wales and Scotland. The island I owned was a trifle less than 60 hectares.

Although we had 100% photovoltaic power we did not have a BEV since there are no roads on the island, so we crudely had motorized marine vessels.

kmistry1986, thank you for sharing your question and your situation. Without really peeling the hood back on your finances, it's hard to say whether or not what you are doing, both in terms of saving and in terms of potential car acquisitions, is optimal. With that said, saving 35% of after tax income while that being in addition to retirement savings is excellent! A car purchase is a personal preference, as well as how much to allocate towards it. I will say that I love my 2017 Model S 100D, and am happy I purchased it, despite not having spent more than $30K on a car before. Good luck, and do share if you snag a new ride!