Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After being in on the Model Y now I am considering the CyberTruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just a little background. I originally put in an order for the Model Y in January and then when everything started happening I decided to cancel my order. What was funny in March a week after I cancelled I got a call that my car was ready for delivery. But I decided that right now it was best to cancel and see how everything plays out. So things for me and my family so far have been stable and good and I am feel very lucky for that. So I was considering putting in a new order for a Model Y. I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse that I was looking to replace. Originally I was looking at the LR AWD 19", White exterior and black interior. Now since I have been seeing all the various Y's on this forum I think I have definitely decided that the 20" Induction Tires are the ones I would go with.

Now after waiting and seeing all the various videos and forum post, part of me has thought about waiting for the CyberTruck. I love the Y and the look and feel and am super excited that it seems much bigger in person. However the idea of 6 passengers and then that 500 mile range keep making me pause on the Model Y. But the idea of also waiting another 3 plus years based on probably where I would sit in the queue for the CT seems like a very long time.

So I am torn for sure. Everyone here is so helpful so any thoughts or insights are definitely welcome and appreciated. Also I would be a first time Tesla owner.

Thanks again.

After having sacrificed so much to own three Teslas, I would give you my opinion to be patient and wait for the Cybertruck. It is so different and yet so functional. However, owning a Tesla is marvelous no matter what route you choose. I also used to own a Chevrolet Traverse - loved the 8-passenger seating.

Brent

After having sacrificed so much to own three Teslas, I would give you my opinion to be patient and wait for the Cybertruck. It is so different and yet so functional. However, owning a Tesla is marvelous no matter what route you choose. I also used to own a Chevrolet Traverse - loved the 8-passenger seating.

Brent
Thank you. Really appreciate that and the 8 passenger seating is surprisingly solid in the Traverse.

I have both on order. The cybertruck I would be SHOCKED if they actually can start production by next summer...given they don't even know where to build the plant. The idea they can build a plant and be up and running in just over a year seems quite far fetched to me.

I suspect by the time I'd actually be able to take delivery of a Cybertruck, I'd be looking at 2+ years so the Model Y will be our introduction to Tesla and give us enough time with it to both financially prepare for the Cybertruck, but also get a feel for whether or not we'd want another Tesla.

I would definitely consider your timeline for purchase...are you willing and able to wait for years for the order to be fullfilled?

So just a little background. I originally put in an order for the Model Y in January and then when everything started happening I decided to cancel my order. What was funny in March a week after I cancelled I got a call that my car was ready for delivery. But I decided that right now it was best to cancel and see how everything plays out. So things for me and my family so far have been stable and good and I am feel very lucky for that. So I was considering putting in a new order for a Model Y. I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse that I was looking to replace. Originally I was looking at the LR AWD 19", White exterior and black interior. Now since I have been seeing all the various Y's on this forum I think I have definitely decided that the 20" Induction Tires are the ones I would go with.

Now after waiting and seeing all the various videos and forum post, part of me has thought about waiting for the CyberTruck. I love the Y and the look and feel and am super excited that it seems much bigger in person. However the idea of 6 passengers and then that 500 mile range keep making me pause on the Model Y. But the idea of also waiting another 3 plus years based on probably where I would sit in the queue for the CT seems like a very long time.

So I am torn for sure. Everyone here is so helpful so any thoughts or insights are definitely welcome and appreciated. Also I would be a first time Tesla owner.

Thanks again.
I'm in a somewhat similar position to yours so perhaps the conclusion I arrived at might help you to think about what to do. I'm eager to get a Cybertruck, but I would not buy any vehicle without first test driving it. With the Fremont factory closed and a large backlog of orders for the Model Y, I figure it will be at least three years, probably more, before it's possible to test drive the Cybertruck. I also figured out that I'm 155,000 behind in reservations. (I reserved mine less than a month ago.) I want to own a Tesla mainly for its safety and secondarily because it looks to be an enjoyable toy. It is generally a bad idea to get a vehicle in its first model year so I plan to buy a Model Y in the early Fall of 2021. By then I will have saved enough for a substantial down payment plus the proceeds of selling my collector BMW. I want to be able to haul my 86" long recumbent trike so I would buy the Model Y with the tow package and connect it to a utility trailer.

If I like the Cybertruck, I'll trade in my Model Y. If I don't like the truck, then I'm left with a nice car that I can still haul my bike with. I've never owned a Tesla, but I test drove a Model 3 in early January and I loved it. Right now I own a 2005 Honda Odyssey with 125,000 miles and a 2000 BMW M Coupe with 89,000 miles. These cars would last me until I die (I'm 82), but the safety and the future self driving capabilities of the Tesla make sense to me. I also would like to enjoy one last expensive toy before it's too late.

I have both on order. The cybertruck I would be SHOCKED if they actually can start production by next summer...given they don't even know where to build the plant. The idea they can build a plant and be up and running in just over a year seems quite far fetched to me.

I suspect by the time I'd actually be able to take delivery of a Cybertruck, I'd be looking at 2+ years so the Model Y will be our introduction to Tesla and give us enough time with it to both financially prepare for the Cybertruck, but also get a feel for whether or not we'd want another Tesla.

I would definitely consider your timeline for purchase...are you willing and able to wait for years for the order to be fullfilled?

That is a great point on the plant not being even decided yet. Never even thought about that. Thanks.

I'm in a somewhat similar position to yours so perhaps the conclusion I arrived at might help you to think about what to do. I'm eager to get a Cybertruck, but I would not buy any vehicle without first test driving it. With the Fremont factory closed and a large backlog of orders for the Model Y, I figure it will be at least three years, probably more, before it's possible to test drive the Cybertruck. I also figured out that I'm 155,000 behind in reservations. (I reserved mine less than a month ago.) I want to own a Tesla mainly for its safety and secondarily because it looks to be an enjoyable toy. It is generally a bad idea to get a vehicle in its first model year so I plan to buy a Model Y in the early Fall of 2021. By then I will have saved enough for a substantial down payment plus the proceeds of selling my collector BMW. I want to be able to haul my 86" long recumbent trike so I would buy the Model Y with the tow package and connect it to a utility trailer.

If I like the Cybertruck, I'll trade in my Model Y. If I don't like the truck, then I'm left with a nice car that I can still haul my bike with. I've never owned a Tesla, but I test drove a Model 3 in early January and I loved it. Right now I own a 2005 Honda Odyssey with 125,000 miles and a 2000 BMW M Coupe with 89,000 miles. These cars would last me until I die (I'm 82), but the safety and the future self driving capabilities of the Tesla make sense to me. I also would like to enjoy one last expensive toy before it's too late.

Thanks for the response. I love your logic and really appreciate the reply. It helps hearing your thoughts for sure.

I too have a cyber truck on order. In the mean time, I am really enjoying my Y and all its glory. However, the Y being a cross over that fits in my garage is very different from a pick up truck. I will weigh in my need and priorities once the cyber truck gets produced and decide whether or not I need a truck over a small SUV when that time comes.

Many agonize over whether to wait for the next Tesla product or the upgraded version of a current product. Unless you have a very strong preference for a particular product, going with the best choice at the time is not a bad choice. Otherwise, you could keep waiting forever for the next better thing. If you go with the Y now, you could change to the Cybertruck (or just add it) later. Better than continuing with ICE and you get to enjoy a Tesla sooner.

Many agonize over whether to wait for the next Tesla product or the upgraded version of a current product. Unless you have a very strong preference for a particular product, going with the best choice at the time is not a bad choice. Otherwise, you could keep waiting forever for the next better thing. If you go with the Y now, you could change to the Cybertruck (or just add it) later. Better than continuing with ICE and you get to enjoy a Tesla sooner.

Thanks that is a good point also. Appreciate the feedback.

I love my Y and also have a Cyber dual motor reservation. I agree the Cybertruck is a long ways off so I will probably get a Rivian to fill in the gap until Cyber goes to production. Of course Rivian may be on hold as well due to Covid. But I do have a Reservation on a R1T.

In general Teslas hold their value better than most cars. So if you buy a used or inexpensive Tesla today while you wait for the CT, then you will have all the benefits that an EV powertrain offers, and come close to breaking even when you trade it in towards a CT.