Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarker Sound Upgrade of 3 Front 4" speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, there are a lot of confounds and complexities.
I’m glad you worked through these complexities with me, and that we agree. Adding a tweeter would not be what I think solves the problems either. I’d be interested in seeing your sweeps, although I can seriously doubt that the tweeters would pick up perfectly where the stock midranges fall off (off-axis).

I like your solution and feeling positive that this fix is cost and time efficient. The sub install is a must for me though ;)

Last point of contention. You are saying that you have an Sr+ and despite what people are saying, that middle midrange is indeed active (I know the middle tweeter is supposed to be, what about that one?)

I’m glad you worked through these complexities with me, and that we agree. Adding a tweeter would not be what I think solves the problems either. I’d be interested in seeing your sweeps, although I can seriously doubt that the tweeters would pick up perfectly where the stock midranges fall off (off-axis).

I like your solution and feeling positive that this fix is cost and time efficient. The sub install is a must for me though ;)

Last point of contention. You are saying that you have an Sr+ and despite what people are saying, that middle midrange is indeed active (I know the middle tweeter is supposed to be, what about that one?)

We have two model 3 Performance versions with the premium stereo.

Hi folks, it appears that there is a new version of the speaker noted in this post out, the 4032.
Is there any reason to go with the old vs the new?

Infinity Reference REF-4032cfx

@dfwatt you stated your replaced 5/7 ... does that mean you replaced another pair of 4' speakers in the rear doors 4022's? ...

related, what are the speakers in the rear deck? are they larger 6x9's, or more 4" like the above?

Also, not sure how to edit a post... what are bass blockers? an in-line freq. filter? ... i was under the impression that Tesla's EQ is already rolling these things way off below 200-250hz - Thus these bass blockers they come with are not required, correct? (the 4032's come with them apparently)

Bass blocking if you want to call it that is done at the amplifier level on those front dash speakers. So you don't need something on the driver itself. The driver simply not fed any signal I believe much below about 200-250 Hz. This protects the driver from long excursions which would get it into a nonlinear zone.

Long story short you don't have anything to worry about and you don't have to provide any extra crossover filtration to remove low bass signals from the front dash drivers. That's already done for you.

Bass blocking if you want to call it that is done at the amplifier level on those front dash speakers. So you don't need something on the driver itself. The driver simply not fed any signal I believe much below about 200-250 Hz. This protects the driver from long excursions which would get it into a nonlinear zone.

Long story short you don't have anything to worry about and you don't have to provide any extra crossover filtration to remove low bass signals from the front dash drivers. That's already done for you.

Thanks for the clarification.

Any thoughts on the new version of the speakers above? and on replacing the rear-deck speakers as well?

Thanks for the clarification.

Any thoughts on the new version of the speakers above? and on replacing the rear-deck speakers as well?

By new version you mean the Infiniti 4032? Don't know anything about it other than that it costs slightly more than the 4022. It's probably slightly better so what the heck! Probably worth using that instead given the modest price difference.

I hear you there.
The specs appear the exact same.

Am i reading correctly that the factory speakers are 4ohm, and these infinity's are 3ohm? No concerns with more draw on the factory amp?
That's probably a non significant difference. May help draw bit more power out of the amp without overloading it. So no I would not see that as a big concern. A single value often times is a misleading average in terms of the speakers impedance - its resistance at various frequencies. The real question is does it drop well below 2 ohms at any point. And the proof is in the pudding on this one. We've had the 4022s in both cars for now almost a year, and they've been played at plenty high-volume especially in mine, without any issues.

Which speakers in the car can be replaced with the 4022 / 4032?

Basically all speakers noted "7" here: https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47361

?

The proverbial low-hanging fruit are the 3 drivers in the dash. The two outboard ones are very easy to replace, the central one a bit more challenging due to its proximity to a sharply sloping windshield which necessitates the special screwdriver tool. But they make a big difference. Replacing the 4 inch drivers in the doors is a whole lot more challenging. I would not recommend it for most guys on the Forum here, because you're going to actually have to modify the door sleeve with a grinder to get the outer door covering to fit. I might consider actually the Parts Express Fatal 4 inch driver the smarter choice for those drivers in the rear door panel. I'll see if I can find the link and post it.

here it is: Faital 4 inch 4 ohm full range

Last edited:
Reactions: FreqFlyer
Would replacing just the outer two on the front dash make sense, or does it have to be all 3, as in... will just replacing 2 do more bad than good because it's then 'mixed' with the center stock speaker. I guess not because it's a different channel right?

Would replacing just the outer two on the front dash make sense, or does it have to be all 3, as in... will just replacing 2 do more bad than good because it's then 'mixed' with the center stock speaker. I guess not because it's a different channel right?

Flashflooder who did the original pioneering work on this initially just replaced the first outer two. He reported that the difference was discernible audibly. I was probably the first person or one of the first to tackle the middle speaker. It wasn't too bad but getting the magnet to fit required moving or slightly relocating a wiring harness. There are no acoustic anomalies at least from my understanding if you only replace the two outer front dash speakers.

• Helpful
Reactions: YisSerL
Cheers! I'm Carlos, from Barcelona in Spain and waiting for the delivery of my Model 3.

The Infinity speakers are not available in Spain and difficult to source in Europe. Anyone can recommend the JBL Club 4020 for this use? Thanks!

Looks like the identical speaker. If it's 4 Ohms it probably is the same speaker that we've been using here. I think both infinity and JBL are now owned by the same parent company, Harmon International which is now owned by Samsung. They also make Revel speakers.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a Tesla M3 Performance (purchase) and a BMW 530e, and the lease is expiring on that soon, and it has a couple of speaker upgrades I had done last year before I bought my Model 3.

I was wondering if the two Match speaker sets linked below will replace the TM3 front door and dashboard speakers. I spoke with my audio guy, he said that the Match woofers below will NOT replace the front door 8” subwoofers. Not sure why!!

MATCH Under-seat 8" Subwoofers:
MATCH MW 8BMW-D Package Two 8" shallow-mount component subwoofers — designed to fit select BMW vehicles with under-seat subs at Crutchfield

MATCH 4" Front Door Mid-Range Speakers and 1" Dome Tweeters:
MATCH MS 42C-BMW.2 2-way component speaker system designed for select BMWs at Crutchfield

Thanks