Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarker Sound Upgrade of 3 Front 4" speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you got better sound or resolution with a high end mid replacing a lower end coax? I think its weird a full signal is being to sent to the driver in the first place. No crossover between driver and amp.

That Scanspeak, no doubt, will sound better than any Alpine mid........Well maybe the same as an Alpine F1 driver.

Why not use a Hertz 4 inch mid too?
I have it on my roadmap to try the Hertz MP70.3 and/or ML700.3 as well. I'm looking to make 3D printed adapters for drivers that provide value and performance and make worthy upgrades. The Infinity Ref make a decent upgrade to the factory speakers, so that's where I started, I always had the intention to upgrade further.

I have two more of the ScanSpeak 10f's on order to replace the rear door speakers as I can still hear them as the tone is quite different than the new front stage.

There is no "right" answer, everyone has different taste, and there are already some brackets available for the Alpine, Infinity and Faital drivers, I'm just looking to diversify the options. I have decades of audio experience and a decade of 3D printing experience, I design rigid brackets that aren't flimsy/thin while being optimized for 3D printing using the best materials practical. If anyone has other speakers they'd like brackets designed for I'm happy to help, the size limit is basically equal to the size of the Infinity Ref-4032 as it barely fits in the dash.

My immediate focus is a subwoofer solution for RWD cars using the factory subwoofer enclosure (orderable from Tesla) and a variety of subwoofers plus a very small Kicker amplifier that goes on a bracket, it should be possible to make this bracket compatible with other tiny mono amplifiers.

• Love
Reactions: FreqFlyer and Adam3
I'll have to drive down south to give your ratchets back - are you doing the focal door speakers so I can get some hand me down Hertz? haha
I'm not sure if the Focal would be an upgrade or not, if it was a higher tier Focal maybe. I just made a set of brackets for the Focal's for someone in the USA, I'll get some feedback on the sound to see if I want to try them.

I don't have the sub in yet, the amp is still in transit. I'm in no rush for the ratchet, I can let you know when I have the front tweeters and sub installed and you can give it a listen.

I actually have a 2nd set of Hertz (still new in box) that I bought for the F150 but they probably won't ever get installed if you really want a set (got them on sale for about $380CAD).
How do the Infinity's sound in the premium system?

My immediate focus is a subwoofer solution for RWD cars using the factory subwoofer enclosure (orderable from Tesla) and a variety of subwoofers plus a very small Kicker amplifier that goes on a bracket, it should be possible to make this bracket compatible with other tiny mono amplifiers.
You can order just the empty enclosure? How much does that run? Ive considered the NVX box, but factory would allow it to be completely hidden.

You can order just the empty enclosure? How much does that run? Ive considered the NVX box, but factory would allow it to be completely hidden.
You can order the factory sub (with woofer). It was just over $300Cad I believe, I bought one from Ingenext in Quebec as they had a used one cheaper, and the local Tesla service centre couldn't give me an accurate time frame. The part number is 1079747-00-D. The stock enclosure is very close to 0.75cuft, I posted the tuning frequency in another thread, but I believe it was around 40-42hz.

I grabbed the oem sub enclosure (no speaker) off ebay for $100 usd a couple weeks ago. It just got here and was in perfect shape. Be careful and look at the pics/rating of the person. Several were described as fine, but in pictures you can see big cracks/defects. It's beefy plastic, so they had to be in a pretty serious crash.

Replaced the three dash mids, took me about 90 minutes. Wasn't as bad as I expected - now wish I did it sooner. Watching a couple different youtube videos first helped. Haven't had much listening time but definitely notice an improvement.

20230418_214856.jpg

20230424_171847.jpg

Reactions: RWAudio
As a FYI to anyone interested since I couldn't find it mentioned elsewhere. . Faital 4fe35 fit fine in the left and right dash position. I didn't try the center, but I wouldn't bet on it due to the lack of clearance. I'm not making a statement if they're the bees knees or not, just letting folks know since they appear to be the same as the 4fe32 without the neo magnet and are ~35 percent cheaper.

The 35's do not fit in the rear doors. Well, reasonably fit might be a better description. It's made for that more conical shape the 32's have.

Reactions: SoCalArgento
I've completed the final step in Stage 1 of the system upgrade which was replacing the rear door speakers with ScanSpeak 10F's to match the front stage.
This is a 2023 RWD car, with what Tesla calls "Upgraded audio".
Dash, 3x ScanSpeak 10F/4424G00 (no centre tweeter in my car)
Door tweeters, Hertz MP25.3 Activated using the Hansshow Ryzen Diy harness (slightly modified to put the 47ohm resistor of the harness in series with the pillar speaker instead of parallel as it arrived, and door woofer signal tapped into for the subwoofer amplifier)
Door woofers, Hertz MP165.3
Rear doors, ScanSpeak 10F/4424G00
Subwoofer, Kicker L7T82 powered by a Kicker Key 500.1 in a factory subwoofer enclosure

First impressions: the rear speakers don't make the massive difference they do in the front, but it definitely completes the car. The veil is lifted and the staging seems higher. There was some "fatigue" when listening at higher volumes, (All upgrades listed above but stock rear speakers) that's gone now. For those of you who have done the 10F upgrade in the front, you get the same clean, clear, unveiled, dynamic and natural sound in the whole car now.

Is it worthwhile? For me a wholehearted yes! Given the tonal difference, I'd probably suggest it for whatever speakers you upgrade to in the front, if they fit use matching ones in the rear if there's a suitable bracket available. I have a feeling the Infinity Ref 4032s won't fit the rear, but the Ref 3032s probably will.

Installation, I was able to use the same brackets in the rear as the front, just flipped upside down and without screwing the speaker to the bracket, as it now clamps the speaker to the door, just made 1mm thicker, which would likely work in the front.

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

Instead of drilling out the plastic welds, I used flush cutters (wire cutters) to simply cut off the cap. This would have been much easier if I disconnected all the connectors and moved the panels to a surface suitable for working on, in the car the angles weren't exactly friendly but the process was very quick and easy.

Next steps:
There's too much bass at times, I think I need the kicker bass knob to make the level adjustable.
There's quite a bit of resonance throughout the car, it needs to be fully sound deadened, both plastic panels as well as the inner and outer door skins, and probably the floor, wheel wells etc.

Reactions: Rohhee and Adam3
Hi everyone,
Been reading multiple threads on M3 speaker upgrades and learning lots of new and good info.
I have Focal ISU200’s on the way for the doors and tweeters. Now deciding what to upgrade the dash speakers with.
I have a set of Morel Maximo Coax 4 speakers from a previous car, was wondering if anyone has experience with these using Tesla stock amp?

Additionally, anyone know what’s the max sub mounting depth that will fit in factory enclosure?

I have a set of Morel Maximo Coax 4 speakers from a previous car, was wondering if anyone has experience with these using Tesla stock amp?

Additionally, anyone know what’s the max sub mounting depth that will fit in factory enclosure?

Morel magnet looks too large, but maybe they would fit. Popular dash choices seem to be Infinity, FaitalPro, ScanSpeak. FaitalPro and ScanSpeak are more compact because they use neodymium magnets (similar to the OE speakers).

Morel magnet looks too large, but maybe they would fit. Popular dash choices seem to be Infinity, FaitalPro, ScanSpeak. FaitalPro and ScanSpeak are more compact because they use neodymium magnets (similar to the OE speakers).
Hi Adam3,
That was my initial thought as well I suppose if they don’t fit I’ll go with the Faitals.
The ScanSpeak seem amazing from others reviewers but a bit over the budget I’m looking to put in right now.
What’s peoples take on using Infinity’s on all 3 dash speakers accounting that all 3 speakers have their own tweeter, basically having 8 tweeters in the front??
I was thinking Infinity for for L/R dash and Faital for center? Not sure if this mismatching would muddle up acoustical coherence.

Hi everyone,
Been reading multiple threads on M3 speaker upgrades and learning lots of new and good info.
I have Focal ISU200’s on the way for the doors and tweeters. Now deciding what to upgrade the dash speakers with.

I've posted more info here: Model 3 factory subwoofer enclosure, volume, port tuning, adapters etc

But the depth is roughly 4.5" if using a 10mm adapter, the inside is an odd shape though, so if it has a large diameter magnet that gets reduced.

Reactions: SoCalArgento
So out of curiosity, we know that the depth of the 4" midrangers and what fits and what doesn't. My question now goes more to the 8" midbass drivers in the door, and what kind of depth there is to work with there. I'm just wondering because Scanspeak makes a nice looking 8" midbass in the same Discovery family as the 4"(22W/4534G00), and because I'm a whore for matching drivers in the same family to keep sonority and driver tone consistent I'd like to see if it's a possibility. It's a pretty efficient driver (92db) and I think would make a more worthwhile upgrade from the stock midbass and likely the Focal ISU200 8".

Also kicking around the idea of using the Scanspeak D3004/6020-00 tweeter since it's a nice 1" but may need hacking up the tweeter sail panel to get it to fit...

• Love
Reactions: Adam3
So out of curiosity, we know that the depth of the 4" midrangers and what fits and what doesn't. My question now goes more to the 8" midbass drivers in the door, and what kind of depth there is to work with there. I'm just wondering because Scanspeak makes a nice looking 8" midbass in the same Discovery family as the 4"(22W/4534G00), and because I'm a whore for matching drivers in the same family to keep sonority and driver tone consistent I'd like to see if it's a possibility. It's a pretty efficient driver (92db) and I think would make a more worthwhile upgrade from the stock midbass and likely the Focal ISU200 8".

Also kicking around the idea of using the Scanspeak D3004/6020-00 tweeter since it's a nice 1" but may need hacking up the tweeter sail panel to get it to fit...
That's an interesting choice (22W) it's got a pretty large diameter, the mounting bolt (door) pattern is smaller than the diameter of the driver so be careful with the design of the adapter to hold them. As for depth, I neglected to measure when I installed my door woofers, but sometime in the near future I need to sound deaden the doors so I'll grab some numbers in the next couple of weeks (sorry it's not sooner). When I was looking at scanspeak woofers I stopped at the 18W/4434G00, but the response curve on the 22W looks really good for some upfront bass. Be prepared to do a lot of work on the door though, it's going to resonate like crazy!

As for the D3004, I've been looking at that too. I'm tempted to see if I can buy the tweeter sail panel from Tesla so that if I modify them a lot I can still revert back to stock if I want to, or try a different tweeter.

I'm not sure why there are two part numbers for each side tweeter assembly...

2023-05-08 19_37_59-Window.png

2023-05-08 19_42_19-Window.png

Reactions: Adam3
Actually I think I found what I'm gonna go with... Stereo Integrity has their whole lineup on sale right now, so I think I'm going to grab their M25 mkII tweeter, M3 carbon midrange, and the new TM8 8" midbass. Physically the TM8 is almost the same diameter as the Focal ISU 200 8", but about 4mm more shallow so even better. And with an Fs of 58hz, this thing will play pretty low. The M3 midrange was pretty well reviewed by Erin (Erin's Corner) and dimensionally should fit without issue in the dash (don't care about the rear doors), so I'll just use 2 and disconnect the middle of the three mids. The M25 tweeter is about the same size as the Scanspeak D3004, but about 3mm smaller diameter.

Regarding the tweeter sail panels, Travis Llado made some 3D-printable sail panels for his Focal Utopia M tweeters (Free CAD Designs, Files & 3D Models | The GrabCAD Community Library), so I might take a look at that and see what's up.

Now to get this whole harness situation in order...

Reactions: drpheta
Hello forum, new member with 2023 Model 3 RWD. Just installed the 3 front dash speakers with the Infinity REF-4032CFX. Sound is clearer and cleaner, mid-base is more prevalent, treble is crisp.

The sound with the new dash speakers are a definite improvement. I'm not a bass head and prefer a balanced base which the stock door woofer speakers are providing. Is it necessary and what sort of improvements if I replace the door woofer speakers with Focal ISU200?

Also had a slight issue in reinstalling the front dash speaker grill panell due to shape of mount and center speaker. Support post on center of the grill panel was hitting on speaker attachment tab causing a noticeable bump in the grill panel. Could not get the center area to lie flat. Had to slightly trim the center support post (left of center speaker) to get the grill panel to lie perfect. Has anyone else had this issue ?

Hello forum, new member with 2023 Model 3 RWD. Just installed the 3 front dash speakers with the Infinity REF-4032CFX. Sound is clearer and cleaner, mid-base is more prevalent, treble is crisp.

The sound with the new dash speakers are a definite improvement. I'm not a bass head and prefer a balanced base which the stock door woofer speakers are providing. Is it necessary and what sort of improvements if I replace the door woofer speakers with Focal ISU200?

Also had a slight issue in reinstalling the front dash speaker grill panell due to shape of mount and center speaker. Support post on center of the grill panel was hitting on speaker attachment tab causing a noticeable bump in the grill panel. Could not get the center area to lie flat. Had to slightly trim the center support post (left of center speaker) to get the grill panel to lie perfect. Has anyone else had this issue ?
I have the center hump too. I just left it.