Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarker Sound Upgrade of 3 Front 4" speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering installing the Infinity Reference REF-6530cx component woofers in the doors. They are 6.5" woofers and should fit without any issues. Has anybody had any experience with these woofers? Like the Infinity Reference REF-4032CFX they are 3ohm speakers. Someone informed me that the 3ohm woofer will not work properly for the door and must be 4ohm. They stated at 70% volume the amp will go into protection mode..

Reading this forum has been helpful. However I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I was considering doing the Ref 4032 then saw Scanspeak10f, saw the price and thought either to hold off or go another direction. Already spent about 1,500-2k on a subwoofer(Idmax12) install, so I want to limit my speaker budget.

First, does anyone know if these Hertz speakers will fit in the 3 front dash speaker area? It’s 99 dollars a pair and will work with my budget. I’ve heard great things about hertz but never tried them, so I’ll be going in blind. Hoping they will sound better than the infinity‘s. If anyone have any input on these speakers on sound quality please let me know.

D6B1F930-0028-4A55-B7B1-7B1476F6E611.jpeg

Now if I do go scanspeak option I noticed there is no tweeter attached to it. My main concern is wanting the speakers to play the Brighter sounds, and have clarity/crisp. I don’t fully understand midrange speakers so please inform me. I assume mid range is more for mid bass, and has that thump sound, but unsure if it plays vocals or limited vocals. Will these midrange hit those highs and bright sounds, or do only the tweeters do that? If so I think I would rather avoid scanspeak and go infinity or hertz if that’s the case.

I had infinity kappas back in the day and really enjoyed those. I do want something better now that I’m older.

If I do go Scanspeak or hertz, can I use the same harness from ampedgarage.com? Where can I get brackets for both speakers as well?

Sorry lots of questions, if you have partial answers please respond. Any suggestions/answers will help me tremendously.

Thanks for the post! Now I have to decide between FaitalPRO 4FE32 or Scanspeak 10F/4424G00 ....

Good thread here...
Rated power of Scanspeak 10F/4424G00 just 15W. I am wondering not loud enough when fan speed set at 10….

The more I read the more difficult it is to decide what speakers to get. I have a 2022 RWD, so the tweeters are not active. I was about to get the infinity 4032s then I keep hearing a lot of great things about the scanspeak, and fatial. I had the fatial speakers in an old BMW, and they sounded great. So I’m leaning towards those. Have most people ran those along with the tweeters?

The nice thing about the infinity’s is that there is no need to activate the stock tweeters so it will be a simpler install.

Heard good things about them on this forum and adapters were easy to find. Also weren’t too expensive. They sound great.

The outer dash mids are not full range, so using a 2-way speaker in that location doesn’t make sense.
Not entirely true. Although they are popularly referred to as mid-range drivers that really doesn't describe how they are driven at least on the 2018s. Don't know if they've changed anything on the new stereo system on the project Highland cars. In any case, though they're referred to as mid-range, and they have a high pass filter on them to protect them from bass drive (which would quickly get them out of their non-linear zone), they have significant output into the treble. So you need a driver that has good high-end and the faitals have that. Indeed if you listen to systems that have had these four inch drivers swapped out you will note significant Improvement in what is on the stock system of somewhat depressed treble shelf which makes vocals sound far less immediate. Both the Infinity's and the faitals mitigate that along with some other drivers.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
Not entirely true. Although they are popularly referred to as mid-range drivers that really doesn't describe how they are driven at least on the 2018s. Don't know if they've changed anything on the new stereo system on the project Highland cars. In any case, though they're referred to as mid-range, and they have a high pass filter on them to protect them from bass drive (which would quickly get them out of their non-linear zone), they have significant output into the treble. So you need a driver that has good high-end and the faitals have that. Indeed if you listen to systems that have had these four inch drivers swapped out you will note significant Improvement in what is on the stock system of somewhat depressed treble shelf which makes vocals sound far less immediate. Both the Infinity's and the faitals mitigate that along with some other drivers.
Good info. All I know is that they sound night and day better than stock, and it was a pretty easy process.

I have infinity installed, would be sound better with Faital? I can't find a set with decent price on the web.
Unclear that one is superior to the other. Both significantly better than stock but I've never seen any head-to-head listening analytics or data. So I wouldn't rush out to buy them but you could get a couple and try them and report back!

Actually I think I found what I'm gonna go with... Stereo Integrity has their whole lineup on sale right now, so I think I'm going to grab their M25 mkII tweeter, M3 carbon midrange, and the new TM8 8" midbass. Physically the TM8 is almost the same diameter as the Focal ISU 200 8", but about 4mm more shallow so even better. And with an Fs of 58hz, this thing will play pretty low. The M3 midrange was pretty well reviewed by Erin (Erin's Corner) and dimensionally should fit without issue in the dash (don't care about the rear doors), so I'll just use 2 and disconnect the middle of the three mids. The M25 tweeter is about the same size as the Scanspeak D3004, but about 3mm smaller diameter.

Regarding the tweeter sail panels, Travis Llado made some 3D-printable sail panels for his Focal Utopia M tweeters (Free CAD Designs, Files & 3D Models | The GrabCAD Community Library), so I might take a look at that and see what's up.

Now to get this whole harness situation in order...
Did you ever do the Stereo Integrity install? I’m working on the same install and wanted to see what you figured out with the tweeters.

If the three speakers in the dash are full range, why not drop in some high quality coaxes like Morrel?

Are there benefits to replacing the rear door and deck 4 inchers? I know they are rear fill.

No one talks about the three inch (?) ambient speaker near the headliner for replacement.