Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarker Sound Upgrade of 3 Front 4" speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the three speakers in the dash are full range, why not drop in some high quality coaxes like Morrel?

Are there benefits to replacing the rear door and deck 4 inchers? I know they are rear fill.

No one talks about the three inch (?) ambient speaker near the headliner for replacement.
Not quite full range. They are on a high pass filter at the amplifier level to protect the driver from high cone excursions that would push it out of its linear Zone. The most common replacement speaker if you poll everybody would be probably the infinity 4022 family which is a coaxial and high quality. Overall I think there are now some better options such as the faital 4fe32. I don't know if it's actually acoustically better - it might be - but it would be a lot easier to install and it's a lot more compact due to its more expensive neodymium magnet. The infinities are almost impossible to install in the rear door - I did it but I would not repeat that experiment and I would not recommend anybody trying to do it either. There is just no space in the rear doors and for that reason the faital option with the smaller neodymium magnet is much more sensible.

Last edited:
There is no real benefit if you don't sit at the back, and I don't hear much from the ambient speaker.

Again, I had 3 infinity, ISU200 Focal + extra dome, plus kickers 8" + amp, dynamat the whole car including *sugar* load of sound deadening material behind the alcantara headliner. I am very happy with the DIY setup, but always excited to try something better.

I was never happy with the sound from the very sub-par audio system in my Model 3 SR. I knew I had to do something, but there are many different opinions and choices as to what direction to head. The Hansshow upgrades were a possibility, but the results seemed mixed. Some loved the newly activated speakers, some didn't. Now it seems their audio upgrades aren't available anymore. A sub-woofer would be nice, but I wasn't too confident about tying in an amp into the Tesla 12 V system. I decided on the following and am very happy (so far) with the results:

I installed Focal's in the doors last week, there was some improvement, but not what I was hoping for. I think I have to go back in and add some matting and insulation to the door frames to improve the soundstage. They sound muddy and I don't think it's the speakers.

Today I installed three Faital Pro 4FE32-8's in the dash, very impressive. A definite increase in volume over the OEM speakers, and good clarity. I feel like I'm 80% of where I want to be now. I put all of the equalizer settings at midway straight across and the sound is nice, even at highter volumes. Listened to David Bowie's Scary Monsters and Robert Fripp's guitar was clear as a bell. (Sorry if I lost you there)

The Faital's have much stronger magnets, a pair of pliers got stuck to the magnet and were hard to pull away. The OEM's, have very weak magnets.

Now to put matting in the door frames, which many have recommended, that should get me to maybe 90% of where I want to be. I know I'll never get to 100% but so far everything has been worthwhile. I'm happy with the path I took. And who knows, maybe some day the sub.

There were 1 or 2 t20's where I couldn't even get the little ratchet in there. I had to use a 1/4" open end wrench to turn the bit. It took a while since the screws are self- tapping and are screwed into nylon blocks.

Attachments

• 20230901_130548.jpg
    20230901_130548.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 114
  • 20230901_124141.jpg
    20230901_124141.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 73
I used this one. Amazon.com
Had to flip the bit for the center speaker screw closest to the windshield.
That’s the one I initially ordered but there isn’t enough clearance for the center screw. How’d you flip the bit to fit center screw?

Edit- you’re a genius. Didn’t realize you can flip the bit to get little more clearance. Still very tight fit and had to protect my tint on my glass but I was able to remove the screw.

Last edited:
got some 4” faitals in there. The front soundstage is a bit louder. Noticeable but not night and day. The system as a whole sounds really good now. I’d note the SR folks upgrading the dash speakers will notice the biggest difference. The upgrade from a premium system isn’t as big. The stock speakers are tuned very well already on the premium system.

I did run into issues reinstalling the speaker grill. With windshield tint, it was a fight trying to reinstall it. And it’s still not fully aligned. A couple of metal clips popped out and they’re lodged behind the driver vent. Will removing the dash free access to them?

IMG_5392.jpeg

Last edited:
got some 4” faitals in there. The front soundstage is a bit louder. Noticeable but not night and day. The system as a whole sounds really good now. I’d note the SR folks upgrading the dash speakers will notice the biggest difference. The upgrade from a premium system isn’t as big. The stock speakers are tuned very well already on the premium system.

I did run into issues reinstalling the speaker grill. With windshield tint, it was a fight trying to reinstall it. And it’s still not fully aligned. A couple of metal clips popped out and they’re lodged behind the driver vent. Will removing the dash free access to them?

View attachment 974153
Had the same thing happen. I was able to pull them out with a pair of really long/thin needle nose pliers.

I had to trim some inner plaster off the dash speaker grille to get it to fit with the new adapters and speakers.

I just wanted to give a other option that I am using for my bmw. It's the Seas MU10RB-SL (H1658-04) 4" Woven Poly Cone Midrange.

I think it's better than the scanspeak discovery drivers and the cone is 100 percent UV resistant etc. I use them as a midrange from 200 to 2000 and they sound fantastic and should fit perfectly. I wish they had neo motors but that's ok they are great.

Unclear that one is superior to the other. Both significantly better than stock but I've never seen any head-to-head listening analytics or data. So I wouldn't rush out to buy them but you could get a couple and try them and report back!
I tried Infinity 4032 on 2023 RWD and didn’t like them. They are no better than stock speakers for clarity and distortion to my ear. I actually quite like the stock dash speakers after comparing the sound with 4032. Just saying, 4032 aren’t for everyone. Stock dash have amazing sound on tracks like “You and your friend” by Dire Straits.

I was never happy with the sound from the very sub-par audio system in my Model 3 SR. I knew I had to do something, but there are many different opinions and choices as to what direction to head. The Hansshow upgrades were a possibility, but the results seemed mixed. Some loved the newly activated speakers, some didn't. Now it seems their audio upgrades aren't available anymore. A sub-woofer would be nice, but I wasn't too confident about tying in an amp into the Tesla 12 V system. I decided on the following and am very happy (so far) with the results:

I installed Focal's in the doors last week, there was some improvement, but not what I was hoping for. I think I have to go back in and add some matting and insulation to the door frames to improve the soundstage. They sound muddy and I don't think it's the speakers.

Today I installed three Faital Pro 4FE32-8's in the dash, very impressive. A definite increase in volume over the OEM speakers, and good clarity. I feel like I'm 80% of where I want to be now. I put all of the equalizer settings at midway straight across and the sound is nice, even at highter volumes. Listened to David Bowie's Scary Monsters and Robert Fripp's guitar was clear as a bell. (Sorry if I lost you there)

The Faital's have much stronger magnets, a pair of pliers got stuck to the magnet and were hard to pull away. The OEM's, have very weak magnets.

Now to put matting in the door frames, which many have recommended, that should get me to maybe 90% of where I want to be. I know I'll never get to 100% but so far everything has been worthwhile. I'm happy with the path I took. And who knows, maybe some day the sub.
Did you get to insulating the door frames and was there any improvement? If you did can you share where you did you added insulation and what material you used?

I also installed the Focal into the doors and feel there is an improvement over the stock but still missing something. The Amped Garage brackets I received had 2 holes the size of a half dollar on the sides near where the cable connector runs through the bracket. Do you think I'm losing low end sound through these holes? Thinking of duck taping these holes to cover them up.