Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Aftermarket CF goodies for the Roadster - Feeler - Lets make it happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next step in our process is 3-D scanning the tail light housings. We're using design software and 5-axis milling to ensure the fitment is accurate. I've included pics from earlier today. We're scheduled for scanning next week.

IMG_5887.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg

CF Tail Lights:
1) bonnie
2) NigelM
3) Habious
4) spaceballs
5) bart513
6) m0rph
7) AltPowr
8) djp
9) Seth Pascale
10) marco2228
11) mookhead
12) jbadger
13) asgard
14) Jaff
15) ibcs
16) 7racer
17) spiderguy (3x)
18) rudy sanchez
19) Private TMC buyer
20) Botbldr45

CF Door Sills:
1) ecarfan
2) Seth Pascale
3) asgard
4) Nvbob
5) rudy sanchez
6) Curt

CF Rear Spoiler:
1) bart513
2) samcarney
3) m0rph
4) djp
5) jbadger
6) spiderguy (2x)
7) rudy sanchez
8) Habious
9) Private TMC buyer

CF Exterior Side Vents:
1) bart513
2) djp
3) Seth Pascale
4) marco2228
5) mookhead
6) rudy sanchez
7) Private TMC buyer

CF Hood:
1) samcarney
2) m0rph
3) jbadger
4) asgard
5) rudy sanchez

CF Front Spoiler:
1) jbadger
2) rudy sanchez

CF Mirror Caprs:
1) m0rph

The more pre-orders we receive, the faster we can stream line production. We've spent a lot of time on R&D and want to make sure these CF parts are finished correctly the first time. We're flexible to start on the CF rear spoiler next. Please let me know if you're interested; your fellow TMC members will thank you.

Hello Roadrunner2013

Thanks for your interest in the tail lights. The design we're going with is a full carbon fiber part. I've included sample pics of our fabricator's work. We'll share images from the 3-D scan upon completion.

CFTrim.jpg

CFPanel.jpg

The rear spoiler should be in the $1000 range. We'll confirm pricing and pre-orders next week.

P.S. Is there interest in updating the brake and turn signal lenses? We'd convert them to LED Halos.

IMG_5153_640x480.jpg

Last edited:
P.S. Is there interest in updating the brake and turn signal lenses? We'd convert them to LED Halos.

If I were doing this, I'd want to make a whole new design for the tail light cluster. I never liked the red-eye look. It always seemed to me that the appeal of LEDs was the flexibility to make shapes other than circles. I'm not a designer, but I think something like a curved line would be more distinctive.

I completely agree. I don't know if we are too far down the path, but if someone with great design skills took this on, the tail lights could be VERY nice and much more elegant. I'm thinking Model S, Aston Martin, Audi - look at those tail lights at night. We have a pretty nice shape in the housing, now just imagine the whole surface completely flat - no round projections. Then built into the surface level a nice lighted LED design - something simple, not tacky, maybe at least an outline of LEDs around the shape of the housing maybe an inch inwards from the edge. The maybe another line or LEDs inside of that for flashers, another smaller inside of that for backup lights, etc. I'm not a design person, but I think they could be very classy and smooth out the rear end. I imagine the stock lights were done in a way for Lotus to reuse parts or for ease of manufacturing.

+1 for sure...
AltPowr;930505[B said:
[/B]]I completely agree. I don't know if we are too far down the path, but if someone with great design skills took this on, the tail lights could be VERY nice and much more elegant. I'm thinking Model S, Aston Martin, Audi - look at those tail lights at night. We have a pretty nice shape in the housing, now just imagine the whole surface completely flat - no round projections. Then built into the surface level a nice lighted LED design - something simple, not tacky, maybe at least an outline of LEDs around the shape of the housing maybe an inch inwards from the edge. The maybe another line or LEDs inside of that for flashers, another smaller inside of that for backup lights, etc. I'm not a design person, but I think they could be very classy and smooth out the rear end. I imagine the stock lights were done in a way for Lotus to reuse parts or for ease of manufacturing.

We'll come up with a completely new tail light redesign that includes LEDs. I agree that this would definitely update the overall look of the rear. Next week I'll share 2 to 3 different options for the redesign.

We're still continuing production of the original carbon fiber housings. We'll offer the redesign to all who want to upgrade their order.

@samcarney Thanks for your kind words. We appreciate the feedback! You're on the list for mirror caps.

@felixtb We can definitely produce a carbon fiber rear diffuser. We can even do a full styling kit. It helps us design and plan accordingly when we know exactly what the demand is first. You're on the list for tail lights.

To clarify, we can still take orders to produce hand-laid carbon fiber overlays of any part. Immediate 1-off overlays of most parts ranges from $1500 to $3500 per order. Pricing depends on the complexity of the piece and number of pieces you'd like finished. For reference, we're overlaying a 5-piece interior set for $2500. We underquoted and will still honor the OEM overlay price for the tail light housings at $800. To begin production, we'd just need a core exchange or we'll source the OEM part ourselves. Newly fabricated parts will be 3-D scanned and either 5-axis milled or 3-D printed for production. We understand some may be interested in custom parts outside of a group buy.

Hey I'm far from proficient with Photoshop, but attached is somewhat what I was thinking about. The reverse lights are hardly ever needed, so with a dark tinted lens over the LEDs, you should not notice them much. Most of the time you would see the red only - maybe dim for running lights and bright for brakes. Then the amber would be turn signals only. I would assume these would all be white LEDs that have the ability to light up red, amber, or white. I built the design around the drivers side light because that one has the keyhole, so just mirror the design on the passenger side leaving that little corner open for style.

I don't know if LEDs put close together would look clean like this, but I was thinking more along the lines of what is used on the Model S. I assume those are LEDs, but in some type of housing or lens so they look like smooth light tubes. First picture is without the reverse light on, second with it - but in reality the reverse light could be put anywhere, I just feel they need to be a nice fixed chunk of lights to light up the back well.

Option2.jpg

Option3withreverse.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I just looked at my Model S lights closely and there is nothing special - just very tightly designed reflector design inside the plastic lens so the lights refract evenly. Also, something to think about is I didn't account for an actual red reflector in the light somewhere - that is required in the US on the back of the car somewhere.

Correct on both counts. My assumption would be these would come with a "for off road use only" warning. I'm perfectly fine with using them that way on my car, others may not. If I were to sell the car some day, I would probably change back to the stock lights.

We've received our order of carbon fiber to produce the first 20 tail light sets. The foam for the 5-axis milling is scheduled to arrive by tomorrow. As soon as it arrives the next step is 3-D scanning the core and milling the mold from foam.

Our designer is working on an updated tail light for the Roadster. I'll share the design later today.

We anticipate by the end of next week to have the first set finished for test fitting. Is there a Bay Area or Los Angeles based Roadster owner that could lend their vehicle for test fitting? We'd also like to use the vehicle to develop the remaining carbon fiber parts.:biggrin:

We've received our order of carbon fiber to produce the first 20 tail light sets. The foam for the 5-axis milling is scheduled to arrive by tomorrow. As soon as it arrives the next step is 3-D scanning the core and milling the mold from foam.

Our designer is working on an updated tail light for the Roadster. I'll share the design later today.

We anticipate by the end of next week to have the first set finished for test fitting. Is there a Bay Area or Los Angeles based Roadster owner that could lend their vehicle for test fitting? We'd also like to use the vehicle to develop the remaining carbon fiber parts.:biggrin:

I'm in Sac & in the Bay Area frequently. How long would you need a Roadster in the shop?

Great...can't wait to see the updated design!

I'm in Sac & in the Bay Area frequently. How long would you need a Roadster in the shop?
Thanks bonnie. A LA TMC member has reached out to us for test fitting. I'll definitely be in contact if we need further assistance.

ibcs, we're some time away considering we still need to come up with a redesign that everyone wants. I'll make sure you're included.

I spoke with our fabricator this morning. We're about a week and a half away from wrapping up the production of the tail lights. In an effort to move onto the next carbon fiber project, we'd appreciate if all listed preorders have been paid by the end of this week. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you again for your business.

1) bonnie
2) NigelM
3) Habious
4) spaceballs
5) bart513
6) m0rph
7) AltPowr
8) djp
9) Seth Pascale
10) marco2228
11) mookhead
12) jbadger
13) asgard
14) Jaff
15) ibcs
16) 7racer
17) spiderguy (3x)
18) rudy sanchez
19) Private TMC buyer
20) Botbldr45
21) Roadrunner2013
22) felixtb

Here's a quick edit of a tail light redesign. Thoughts?
tesla 01.jpg

Last edited: