Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket paint protection

What do you do to keep your Model S nice and shiny?

• I got XPEL or similar put on (partial or full coverage)

Votes: 45 42.9%
  • I got opticoat or cQuartz or similar put on

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I just wash and wax it, its just a car

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • I don't own a Model S, but have a valuable opinion to share.

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I have posted in other threads, I got OptiCoat Pro applied by my detailing pro shortly after I picked up my multi-coat red, and could not be happier. Had a 'tune-up' at 18 months and application of OptiGloss. Car always looks great, resists dirt and marks (especially from bird droppings), water beads up. Plan on doing the same with my wife's S70D when we pick it up in a couple of weeks (...but my pro suggests cQuartz for black cars).

So I asked around and it seems like they still recommend to detail and wax if you want to look new. I came to the conclusion that the film protection is probably the best. The full cover would be the best, but it can get expensive (~$7-$8K). Hence why I was looking to install myself. I have done smaller install and have seen plenty of videos on how to do it. I just need a large enough sheet to cover. I might end up using multiple pieces and hope I can get them close enough to do the protection.

IMO, if you want the cheap route:

1) DIY
2) Cover the hood, side panels, and doors. Hood/sidepanels for the rocks. The rear and top are rarely needed unless you plan to park it in parking lot with a lot of stray shopping cart. The bumpers are just bumpers and their shine should last for years.
3) wash the car as usual

I am still looking for the solution where I don't have to maintain the paint for years. The small stuff like washing the car is OK. Something applied once every decade would be best solution. The Film cover solution seems to be the best solution right now. There are a lot of them out there. I know people recommend Xpel, but I have seen 3M and other brands. So shop around and read up on reviews. I think you can't go wrong with either if properly installed.

Hello all, (without sounding like my sales team, since i'm here to provide support and help anyone with paint protection film questions and concerns)

XPEL ULTIMATE is a great product as ‘bonnie’ has shown. A great benefit with XPEL ULTIMATE is that it’s warrantied for 10 years, covering defects such as yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering, and delaminating. Its also self-healing so it will help prevent damage to the film such as swirl marks and other fine scratches.

Now as far as the DIY installation, we highly recommend a professional installation. It may look easy, but it is a difficult process. Half the battle is finding a great installer to put the paint protection film on your vehicle. If you are interested in going with XPEL, please click: XPEL DEALER LOCATOR. to find an installer near you.

We have full body patterns for the Tesla Model S and the Model S is one of the most popular cars to protect. In fact, last year alone we had one independent installer in Seattle complete 43 full body Model S wraps. To get a better idea on the process, click this YOUTUBE Link to view an installation video on a white Model S from here at XPEL HQ in South Texas.

After you have the film installed you can use everyday detailing products, as long as they do not contain naphtha or kerosine. As most people will use coatings on both the film and untreated areas that do not have film installed. Because XPEL ULTIMATE has a very low surface energy, this causes contaminants to not stick as easily. If they do, it also makes it much easier to clean off, making the maintenance much much lower.

@chriSharek, one of the reasons we developed the film was to battle the lovebugs, they do some serious damage! Due to the self-healing properties and the protection XPEL ULTIMATE gives you, its a great solution to protecting your vehicle.

We are proud to support the Tesla community and will be sponsoring TMC Connect next month. If you’re going feel free to stop by the XPEL booth and ask questions or just say hi.

Thank you for the response XPEL. Unless this is a biological film, it can't be called "self-healing". I've seen some new products in my day, but I'm not sold on super thick saran wrap for our cars as the best solution.

Does anyone have a typical cost for an MS? I'm currently leaning towards a high-quality liquid sealant myself.

Thank you for the response XPEL. Unless this is a biological film, it can't be called "self-healing". I've seen some new products in my day, but I'm not sold on super thick saran wrap for our cars as the best solution.

Does anyone have a typical cost for an MS? I'm currently leaning towards a high-quality liquid sealant myself.

Chris,

Let me add a bit, I have NOT gotten XPEL etc. yet, but I have talked with plenty of installers/detailers, and watched plenty of youtube videos, and also talked with plenty of Model S (and similar fancy car owners).

XPel downsides,
- Hella expensive
- You need a good installer
- and if you observe around edges, you may see a plastic edge (but you'd really have to be looking for it) .. best if you go to a shop that does this in person and see it for yourself.
- In case you get in an accident, the xpel film has to be removed and reapplied = more $
- It doesn't look bad, but cQuartz etc. will make things look glossier, but they don't offer the same protection. Some liquid protection will offer protection from bugs etc. but here is the difference, cQuartz, you get a lovebug hit, you want to get it off soon. With xPel, you have more leeway (since the film is thicker). Nothing protects against everything, but xpel is better protection than liquid.
- It gradually yellows out, very apparent on white. But you can always remove it, and replace it - and your paint pretty much stays like brand new underneath. This is no overstatement.

XPel upsides,
- With Tesla it is almost a must have, the paint is too weak.
- XPel protects your paint like nothing else
- It also protects against flying rocks etc. on the freeway, and
- It will also protect against bug juice, bird poo etc.
- It will protect against minor scratches (bushes etc.)

As far as self healing, yes it does self heal. If you get minor scratches, when in sunlight it will even itself out.
I mean yes it is a good product, but the price really puts a damper on it.

Prices vary installer by installer, but here is a typical price,
- Front end (where you will most likely get rock chips etc.) - 1500-2000$
- Entire car - 4000 - 8000$

I don't think majority of Tesla owners go for full wrap, the cost puts a full wrap in the bentley category IMO (some, but not all).
But a lot of them do go for front end protection.

I don't want to be an XPel salesman either, unless they give me a discount (HINT! HINT!)

@chriSharek,

No problem we’re here to help!

Self-healing refers to the way the elastomeric polymers in the clear coat mend over time when exposed to sunlight, engine heat, etc. while the car is operated normally. This means that the fine scratches and swirl marks that used to be a problem in older generation paint protection films (especially since the older films could not be buffed out) are no longer anything to worry about. You can see a video demonstration at Self-Healing Demo

The main difference between paint protection film and a high-quality sealant is their primary purpose. Sealants are designed to (and do a great job of) protecting from environmental concerns such as hard water stains, bug acids, bird droppings etc. These sealants are about 2 microns in thickness when applied to the paint (about 0.00007874 inches), and while they do a great job for environmental stuff, they are not ever going to stop a rock from chipping the paint.

Paint protection films are are designed to stop rocks and other hard debris from chipping the paint as you drive down the road. Ours is 216 microns thick (about .0085 inches) and is a multilayer construction. The layers consist of a soft spongy polyurethane layer that absorbs impact, the clear coat layer with the elastomeric polymers in it to keep it shiny and swirl free, and an acrylic adhesive layer to keep it bonded to the paint.

Hope this helps!

Thank you both for the XPEL lesson. I watched some of the install videos and can appreciate the time it would take to do a proper install - not something I would consider installing/applying myself. I tinted my own windows once when I was 18. Never again.

I'm one to never let the lovebugs sit - ever. I drive across Florida to see my folks and rinse them off as soon as I get there. Must be my OCD. I do want to protect the $100k investment of a car though. I just have no intention of spending another $4k-$8k for it. Again, I can understand the cost/time of the install, but just not something I would consider.

Thank you again for the informative post. cs

Last edited:
We have full body patterns for the Tesla Model S and the Model S is one of the most popular cars to protect. In fact, last year alone we had one independent installer in Seattle complete 43 full body Model S wraps. To get a better idea on the process, click this YOUTUBE Link to view an installation video on a white Model S from here at XPEL HQ in South Texas.

But, as my bank balance can attest, you don't have full body patterns for the Roadster :). That was a custom job.

How long after the Model X comes out before you anticipate having patterns? I ask because I have Signature #2 reserved - and would gladly work out a deal with you to bring it to San Antonio so that all the measurements could be done. I have friends in Austin, Cuero, and Victoria so could keep myself occupied, depending on how long you'd need it.

But, as my bank balance can attest, you don't have full body patterns for the Roadster :). That was a custom job.

How long after the Model X comes out before you anticipate having patterns? I ask because I have Signature #2 reserved - and would gladly work out a deal with you to bring it to San Antonio so that all the measurements could be done. I have friends in Austin, Cuero, and Victoria so could keep myself occupied, depending on how long you'd need it.

Please PM me your information please bonnie, email name etc...Thanks! I will be sure to get it to the right people to see what we can do

I got Opti-Coat Pro followed by Full body XPEL Stealth (the matte version) back in December. I can personally attest that partial thickness, light scratches smooth themselves over some how. I cleaned them off, poured some warm water over them (not sure if this was necessary, but seemed like a good idea at the time!), left it alone in the garage and they were gone! No such luck on full-thickness scratches, though :( Going to have the rear re-done because of a really stupid accident with a security gate. Definitely not cheap stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's saved me from several deep paint scratches.

A lot of people also like Suntek, I think it's a bit cheaper, but the warranty is only like 7 years.

. . . but the warranty is only like 7 years.

Do you hear yourself?! That's a GREAT warranty! I realize the 10 years of XPEL might be better, but let's remember where we have come from - the days of Simonize! I put a 2-coat black wax on my Volt this past weekend (showed the kid how to do it) and I don't mind taking really good care of my car once a month spending 2-3 hours first thing on a weekend morning. Having said that, I would still like some sort of insurance - but $4-$8k is just way too much insurance.

I wonder what an entire new paint job would cost . . . I'd bet at a great shop it might be $4-$8k. :)

Do you hear yourself?! That's a GREAT warranty! I realize the 10 years of XPEL might be better, but let's remember where we have come from - the days of Simonize! I put a 2-coat black wax on my Volt this past weekend (showed the kid how to do it) and I don't mind taking really good care of my car once a month spending 2-3 hours first thing on a weekend morning. Having said that, I would still like some sort of insurance - but $4-$8k is just way too much insurance.

I wonder what an entire new paint job would cost . . . I'd bet at a great shop it might be $4-$8k. :)

I have done loads of research into this :)

XPEL vs Suntek - the raw material for suntek is cheaper, but installation effort is the same. So for the extra little bit, you might as well go with the better stuff.

But also remember, XPEL unless you get a full body wrap (super expensive), won't protect the entire car. There are nano glass coatings that cost less, and give you full coverage (albeit xpel's protection is superior).

A full repaint - anywhere from $6K to $15K, and its hard to get it back to factory condition.

This poll has been enlightening. Would love to see a follow-on poll that surveyed how much people spent on wraps and paint protection for their Model S. For example:

[ ] Under $500
[ ] $500-$1000
[ ] $1000-$2000
[ ] $2000-$5000
[ ] More than $5000

As for me, I haven't spent a dime on wraps or anything, and my car (25k mi) has all sorts of paint chips, mostly tiny white dots, on the hood and one or two on the sides and it bugs me a great deal.

Haha, yeah, I didn't mean to belittle a 7 year warranty on an item that receives so much wear and tear. It is an extremely good warranty, but 10 is amazing :)

Like kuttakamina said, it's really tough/impossible to restore the true original factory finish, and if you are:
1. Anal/OCD (like me!) and hate any minute scratch on your car, or
2. Want to keep up the resale value by avoiding paintwork,

then films like XPEL might make sense on a higher cost car.

Haha, yeah, I didn't mean to belittle a 7 year warranty on an item that receives so much wear and tear. It is an extremely good warranty, but 10 is amazing :)

Like kuttakamina said, it's really tough/impossible to restore the true original factory finish, and if you are:
1. Anal/OCD (like me!) and hate any minute scratch on your car, or
2. Want to keep up the resale value by avoiding paintwork,

then films like XPEL might make sense on a higher cost car.

NoMO & Kutta, I hear you completely. I really WANT to protect my investment - don't get me wrong - I just think some of these costs are exorbitant. It's almost like the installers know what you spent on the car and just charge x% of the car's purchase price because most of us (1) can afford it and (2) will pay it!

I can see the XPEL for the high impact areas - front, side mirrors, hood. Then, a sealant of some sort over the rest of the car makes sense. Not sure the XPEL over the entire car makes any sense - but I'm sure it makes cents to the installers!