Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that if I'm already driving and the Tesla hasn't connected to the T2C WiFi before I got started, rather than struggling with turning on WiFi and selecting the network, I can just put the car in Park. Did this a couple of times. Today I timed it, 10 seconds from the moment I put the car in Park.

Reactions: jerome8283
I'm running Tesla release 2023.6.8 without issues.
Although it looks like the browser change is on version 2023.6.9. Listed under undocumented changes.

Has any tried a different USB-C cable with their unit? Mine will not power on with any of my longer cables. I tested cables with my phone prior to experimenting them with my T2C unit. It seems as if only the cable provided works.
USB cables can have different configurations of wires, which can affect whether or not they can transmit power. A standard USB cable has four wires: two for power and two for data. However, some USB cables, such as those used for charging-only devices like some Bluetooth speakers, may only have the two power wires.

I've noticed that if I'm already driving and the Tesla hasn't connected to the T2C WiFi before I got started, rather than struggling with turning on WiFi and selecting the network, I can just put the car in Park. Did this a couple of times. Today I timed it, 10 seconds from the moment I put the car in Park.

I just turn it on from the menu. Takes 5 seconds, easier than parking the car if I’m in motion.

On another note, I signed up for a $15/3-month 5gb/m SIM card from boost mobile and it works perfectly! Highly recommend grabbing a cheap SIM card for anyone using Bluetooth only. Makes it even more seamless.

Has any tried a different USB-C cable with their unit? Mine will not power on with any of my longer cables. I tested cables with my phone prior to experimenting them with my T2C unit. It seems as if only the cable provided works.
It's possible that the data lines provided with T2C unit are specially made with specific resistance to ensure proper power delivery and device compatibility. USB-C cables can vary in terms of their power delivery capabilities and compatibility with different devices, so using the cable provided by the manufacturer can often be the best option for ensuring proper operation.

That being said, if you need a longer cable or want to use a different brand of cable, it's important to make sure that the cable is compatible with your device and meets the necessary power delivery specifications. Not all USB-C cables are created equal, and using the wrong cable can potentially cause damage to your device or prevent it from working properly.

If you're unsure about the compatibility of a specific cable, it's always best to check with the manufacturer of your device or the cable manufacturer for guidance. They may be able to provide information on recommended cables or specifications to look for when selecting a cable.

Sorry to jump in here and I've tried to find a basic answer :)

I have ordered this device and plan to use a Sim. I want (need) to plug it in to the 12v adapter in the arm rest so bought a 12v USB A and C. If I dont get an on/off switch what annoyance does that basically mean I am dealing with? It's nothing to do with the car auto-connecting to the devices wi-fi I assume. And using the 12v adapter, can I use an on/off switch or will that not generate enough power (I can use USB C right)? If that set up would work, could someone please provide a link to what this on/off switch looks like? Is it this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Openii-Ras...246&sprefix=usb+c+on+off+switch,aps,92&sr=8-3

Finally, will using a sim and not a hotspot reduce all the connections set ups when re-entering the car?

Many questions so thank you!

Last edited:
I usually pull away from my home and turn on WiFi and it connects within secs. If I had BT selected when I left the car it will automatically start playing Apple Music. If not I have to select BT and always need to browse to tespush for Waze.

By the way, Apple Music sounds much better via T2C then the in build Tesla version.

Reactions: timeshifter

I have ordered this device and plan to use a Sim. I want (need) to plug it in to the 12v adapter in the arm rest so bought a 12v USB A and C. If I dont get an on/off switch what annoyance does that basically mean I am dealing with? It's nothing to do with the car auto-connecting to the devices wi-fi I assume. And using the 12v adapter, can I use an on/off switch or will that not generate enough power (I can use USB C right)? If that set up would work, could someone please provide a link to what this on/off switch looks like? Is it this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Openii-Raspberry-Switch-Female-Extension/dp/B08HSY6P94/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3O4XUKCYE8XXY&keywords=usb+c+on+off+switch&qid=1679739246&sprefix=usb+c+on+off+switch,aps,92&sr=8-3

Finally, will using a sim and not a hotspot reduce all the connections set ups when re-entering the car?

Your on/off switch states it’s unavailable for me. I purchased this one in the US. If you don’t get the on/off switch you will simply unplug it instead. The on/off switch is a convenient way to turn it on/off. Turning the T2C off for some avoids the device powering on when the car wakes when using remote functions. At this point I’m unsure whether the device coming on interferes with a software update or Sentry mode etc. For me I think its safer to turn it off rather than not and its not a big deal especially with the on/off switch. I chose not to use a SIM card simply because I did not want the added cost. Some here use a SIM and can share their experience.

Reactions: timeshifter
This flat out won't work for me. Did everything as instructed. Checked to ensure that the phone is connected to the T2C unit via bluetooth, car to the T2C unit via wifi, hotspot on, CarPlay enabled, the tespush.com page comes up in the browser, signal led flashes blue/green indicating a connection, but it never kicks off CarPlay (the phone led doesn't light up). Just sits there trying again and again. I've updated the firmware, factory reset the unit, power cycled it, made sure to remove my home wifi SSID altogether, tried different power sources, nothing. Any ideas?

@sbtz There's a slider for "autoconnect" in the menus somewhere (I'll post a pic later along with a description of where it is). Under that it shows your phone name. One time when I had some trouble getting my phone to connect to CarPlay I switched autoconnect off and back on. When it switched on my phone connected to CarPlay and all was fine.

I have ordered this device and plan to use a Sim. I want (need) to plug it in to the 12v adapter in the arm rest so bought a 12v USB A and C. If I dont get an on/off switch what annoyance does that basically mean I am dealing with? It's nothing to do with the car auto-connecting to the devices wi-fi I assume. And using the 12v adapter, can I use an on/off switch or will that not generate enough power (I can use USB C right)? If that set up would work, could someone please provide a link to what this on/off switch looks like? Is it this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Openii-Raspberry-Switch-Female-Extension/dp/B08HSY6P94/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3O4XUKCYE8XXY&keywords=usb+c+on+off+switch&qid=1679739246&sprefix=usb+c+on+off+switch,aps,92&sr=8-3

Here's how I switched power on and off when I was using that 12V connection under the armrest.

Got my Model Y today. Setup the T2C in about 3 minutes. Worked as expected in the driveway. Actually worked really well. Will see how it holds up on my commute tomorrow.
70146776194__10D9B490-2B63-44DF-A4CA-9BD5C6791A34.png

@sbtz There's a slider for "autoconnect" in the menus somewhere (I'll post a pic later along with a description of where it is). Under that it shows your phone name. One time when I had some trouble getting my phone to connect to CarPlay I switched autoconnect off and back on. When it switched on my phone connected to CarPlay and all was fine.

Thanks. That worked for me. That or the ten more resets and messing with the settings. Strange how it's pretty much plug and play for some, and near impossible for others. I must've spent a good two plus hours on it.

I’m curious what others see on your phone when connected to the T2C. Do you see this Ethernet option showing while connected? Also, if you use Wi-Fi hotspot which device version do you have, one that supports hotspot and sim or sim only?

Attachments

• 7E894DE2-699D-4AA0-B22B-0C9FA5CDF9BE.jpeg
    7E894DE2-699D-4AA0-B22B-0C9FA5CDF9BE.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 44