Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thing is going back to Amazon. After I was finally able to get it to connect and display CarPlay yesterday, I tried again this morning and nothing. Tried a factory reset, tried the autoconnect toggle, tried resetting both bluetooth and wifi connections, nothing. Initially, it wouldn't connect to the phone's hotspot, now it finally does but doesn't start up CarPlay. I've tried in the car, on a laptop, etc. What a giant waste of time.

EDIT: Got it to work again after testing with my wife's phone, which had a name without a special character (mine has a dash). I then removed the dash from my phone's name and it worked again after testing. This was all on a laptop though, so I'll have to try again the next time I'm in my car.

Last edited:
This thing is going back to Amazon. After I was finally able to get it to connect and display CarPlay yesterday, I tried again this morning and nothing. Tried a factory reset, tried the autoconnect toggle, tried resetting both bluetooth and wifi connections, nothing. Initially, it wouldn't connect to the phone's hotspot, now it finally does but doesn't start up CarPlay. I've tried in the car, on a laptop, etc. What a giant waste of time.

EDIT: Got it to work again after testing with my wife's phone, which had a name without a special character (mine has a dash). I then removed the dash from my phone's name and it worked again after testing. This was all on a laptop though, so I'll have to try again the next time I'm in my car.
Sounds like you might have a defective device.

What's the inconvenience if you don't have a on/off USB switch?
I initially purchased my switch for my Raspberry Pi that I use with the Tesla-Android solution. As with the T2C instead of unplug/plugging the cable under the armrest when I enter and exit, I use the switch and keep the armrest closed. The switch hangs out slightly on my drivers side and I simply turn it on/off.

Thanks. What I meant was, what's the effect if you just have a normal non-switch USB... does the tesla keep trying to connect to it even when you're not in the car?
I think that is what happens, if your car is too close to the house CarPlay stays connected, and so does the tether to the phone I think. At that point, I'm not sure if the T2C interferes with the Tesla trying to connect to the home wifi as well.

I think that is what happens, if your car is too close to the house CarPlay stays connected, and so does the tether to the phone I think. At that point, I'm not sure if the T2C interferes with the Tesla trying to connect to the home wifi as well.
This is the challenge I had. My garages are connected and close to the main areas of my house. If I forget to disconnect when I park the car my iPhone hotspot remains connected to the T2C, Wi-Fi is still tethered and audio routing is still through CarPlay.

The car meanwhile continues using the iPhone hotspot for connectivity through the Autokit Wi-Fi connection until the car sleeps and powers down the USB ports.

Reactions: jerome8283

mine went back…

everything connected as it should…in the browser it showed it was connected…but it just didn’t display carplay…

many emails and amazon messages…

essentially never got beyond the “clear your browser cache…update your firmware…”

i concluded it must be defective…

huge waste of time…terrible support…communicating with people on the other side of the world with 12 hour delays between messages…

in the meantime i got use to not having it…

i took the refund…people seem to like it…i would never recommend it…

Has anyone else seen the phone overheating issue when the hotspot is enabled and the phone is on a wireless charger?
I don’t use T2C but that shouldn’t matter. try to Keep phone out of direct sunlight when wirelessly charging. wireless charging produces more heat and you are already having phone be wi-fi hotspot, wireless CarPlay and streaming Bluetooth audio all at same time. If your phone is in a case, this makes heat dissipate more slowly too.

I have a third party wireless charger stuck to the rear of my infotainment. phone‘s rear ends up facing air vents. This might help cool my iPhone 13 Pro Max (no case) but I also do not use my phone as hotspot To my CarPlay device.

I don’t use T2C but that shouldn’t matter. try to Keep phone out of direct sunlight when wirelessly charging. wireless charging produces more heat and you are already having phone be wi-fi hotspot, wireless CarPlay and streaming Bluetooth audio all at same time. If your phone is in a case, this makes heat dissipate more slowly too.

I have a third party wireless charger stuck to the rear of my infotainment. phone‘s rear ends up facing air vents. This might help cool my iPhone 13 Pro Max (no case) but I also do not use my phone as hotspot To my CarPlay device.
I had the same problem with my prior BMW wireless charger. In that case it was due to the location of the charger, no ventilation. The phone will get warm but with the bad location it created an excessive heat problem.

So far, it's confirmed that somehow the special character (a dash, so nothing unusual) in my iPhone's name was keeping it from kicking off the hotspot and CarPlay features. I removed the dash-character and it's now working as intended. However, I'm now learning that aside from the novelty of it all, I wasn't missing all that much in CarPlay - I don't use Waze much, and if anything I might use it for the more-responsive than Tesla Apple Music app)

mine went back…

everything connected as it should…in the browser it showed it was connected…but it just didn’t display carplay…

many emails and amazon messages…

essentially never got beyond the “clear your browser cache…update your firmware…”

i concluded it must be defective…

huge waste of time…terrible support…communicating with people on the other side of the world with 12 hour delays between messages…

in the meantime i got use to not having it…

i took the refund…people seem to like it…i would never recommend it…
I saw a lot of people complaining that they bought from Amazon and couldn't get the corresponding technical after-sales help, so in the end, most of them chose to return the adapter to Amazon, the other of them encountered problems after a few months, but Amazon ignored them at all. That's probably why Amazon's rating is less than 3.5. I ended up buying the device from another website store.

I saw a lot of people complaining that they bought from Amazon and couldn't get the corresponding technical after-sales help, so in the end, most of them chose to return the adapter to Amazon, the other of them encountered problems after a few months, but Amazon ignored them at all. That's probably why Amazon's rating is less than 3.5. I ended up buying the device from another website store.
I thought Amazon didn’t provide support and it’s the seller/vendor who provides support?