Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered one of these (version without SIM card). I'm guessing it will get here in a few weeks as it's shipping from China.
I just found this thread and ordered the same (non sim) version which was marked down to $69.99 on the main site with current promotion. We shall see...

There is a setting to change resolution (SD/HD). One of these will work the best.

So I took delivery of my car today. The CarPlay works fine - a little sluggish but does the job nicely.

I now understand the need for the USB switch - the unit was holding on to my iPhone CarPlay connection in the house and needed to be manually disconnected. I too have ordered a switch!

Reactions: timeshifter
You’re probably very close to the car so it maintains a connection, stays awake. When further away the car should eventually disconnect and sleep. When you return, it will reconnect pretty quickly. When I’m home I switch off but when out and about I will leave it powered on.

Reactions: Mandingo
Post #61 just before yours has a link, “CARLINKIT WIRELESS CARPLAY ANDROID AUTO MINI BOX ADAPTER FOR TESLA MODEL 3/X/Y/S CARPLAY WIRELESS ACTIVATOR NAVIGATION SPOTIFY SIRI IOS16 NEW”
Thank you for pointing me. However, there are two devices, looks pretty similar, but have different prices. I know here is Model Y discussion, and I would appreciate if sub can share any experience with this device in Model S Raven.

Question - when I return to my car after a break it often has already switched Wi-Fi off - it says “Wi-Fi is off and will restart the next time you drive”. It’s not a big deal but it’s one more step to go through to get the car connected to the T2C:

Plug in T2C
Wait for boot up to finish (30-50 seconds)
Switch on Wi-Fi using Car menu
Join Autolink network (10 seconds)
Direct browser to tslpush.com

Any ideas how to keep Wi-Fi switched on?

Question - when I return to my car after a break it often has already switched Wi-Fi off - it says “Wi-Fi is off and will restart the next time you drive”. It’s not a big deal but it’s one more step to go through to get the car connected to the T2C:

Plug in T2C
Wait for boot up to finish (30-50 seconds)
Switch on Wi-Fi using Car menu
Join Autolink network (10 seconds)
Direct browser to tslpush.com

Any ideas how to keep Wi-Fi switched on?
The Wi-Fi in your car needs to remain connected to some Wi-Fi network for it to stay up.
Mine is connected to T2C at all times when I am not at home/work. It will disconnect completely if the car falls asleep.

Also, for WiFi to remain connected while driving you should select this option within the Tesla WiFi menu.

Mine reconnects after I return to the car. Only when leaving my home do I need to connect manually and I believe this is expected behavior due to my previous connection to my home wifi.

Also, for WiFi to remain connected while driving you should select this option within the Tesla WiFi menu.

Mine reconnects after I return to the car. Only when leaving my home do I need to connect manually and I believe this is expected behavior due to my previous connection to my home wifi.
Yes, I have that going, that how the CarPlay stays connected while I drive. I just noticed that the car switches off Wi-Fi completely overnight even though it is connected to my home Wi-Fi after parking in the garage.

I believe Wi-Fi will only come on when needed (Tesla updates or maybe other things) or when the car wakes up. This is very similar to what I see in the morning when leaving my home. As I pull away from my home, it will disconnect from my home Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi will be turned off. I have to manually turn on Wi-Fi, and if the T2C is powered on it will automatically connect.

I should have stated that better. What I meant to say was, "Previous posts imply that when away from home, the car auto connects to T2C if you park and come back to the car. But I wonder if the car reconnects to T2C only when the car has not been parked long enough to go to sleep".
This may be the case. I haven’t timed it but I’m doubtful though. I think it has trouble switching WiFi networks or simply connecting due to WiFi being off.