Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick heads up - there is a new T2C firmware update that has MUCH faster screen update/smoothness (like 3-5 times faster). Date stamp [2023-03-07] V4.4.

Attachments

• 75F65DBE-1883-4DE6-BA97-68D730B69846.png
    75F65DBE-1883-4DE6-BA97-68D730B69846.png
    429.3 KB · Views: 120
Quick heads up - there is a new T2C firmware update that has MUCH faster screen update/smoothness (like 3-5 times faster). Date stamp [2023-03-07] V4.4.

I discovered this update yesterday evening. Installing it immediately resolved the issue I was having with my M3 connecting to the T2C with the T-Mobile SIM. I am no longer seeing the "Could Not Connect to Network. Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings." error message. I am still running into inconsistencies after leaving the car and coming back to it. But I think that might be resolved by using the USB on/off switch that others have suggested. Going to give that a try tonight.

Reactions: beachmiles
What the T2C ideally needs is a switched power supply in the car rather than the USB outlets that stay powered on for an indeterminate time after you leave the car. Then the T2C Wi-Fi won’t be trying to hold on to your phone after you have left it and will automatically power back up when you enter the car again.

This thread on radar detectors has identified a switched circuit that is designed for towing and to access it there is a harness you can buy for $4:-

I am thinking that with an adapter like this:-

We could take this circuit and create a USB female outlet that is switched and just connect the T2C to this and leave it there. There is a question for some models whether this socket is powered - some people say yes and others no and it doesn’t seem to depend on whether they bought the tow hitch package or not.

@Mandingo that is a super exciting find. That's been the holy grail of this project, and others like it, for a long time.

I read almost all of that thread that you linked, part of one linked from that and skimmed a couple of YouTube videos. My summary: looks like the tow package adapter may not work anymore as there is now some kind of software activation involved. I guess it works if you have the tow package, but non-tow package owners can't add that harness anymore.

But, there seems to be some good info on a switched 12V that you can tap in the passenger footwell. One video is linked to is by Obsessed Garage, seems thorough and complete. There's another video by a guy who's talking about footwell lights for his Model 3.

The good stuff starts around post 75 here

and the charge is led by user @Pics999 who I'm tagging, so if you're that person and can share any updates here that would be great!

I'll probably read and re-read those threads in the coming days. It sounds great.

Finally, I still have that MCU harness connected from my Hansshow 9" Linux display. I'm betting one of it's two leads (that I'm not using, since I removed the device) is that same thing, not sure if it'll be 12V or not, but I may just be able to tap that.

Reactions: Mandingo
Sounds like this may work. I have not read the thread yet. Obsessed Garage is a great resource. Used this guy to get my car wash project going a couple of years back. Also I have the tow package and will find time to check that option.

help…

firmware uodated
iphone bluetooth connects to box
box connects to tesla wifi
iphone hotspot on
iphone bluetooth for box set to carplay
no sim

go to website and i get a management screen for the device…some have shown it in posts…

in videos where carplay comes up…this screen is shown for a fraction of a second then carplay launches

but with me the browser stays on this management site…

the browser window says “connect to bluetooth “ and it is connected …but it does not connect

spent a lot of time…

think i have all the connections…

it connects but does not display car play…stuck on last step

really have given up unless i can get some advice

help…

firmware uodated
iphone bluetooth connects to box
box connects to tesla wifi
iphone hotspot on
iphone bluetooth for box set to carplay
no sim

go to website and i get a management screen for the device…some have shown it in posts…

in videos where carplay comes up…this screen is shown for a fraction of a second then carplay launches

but with me the browser stays on this management site…

the browser window says “connect to bluetooth “ and it is connected …but it does not connect

spent a lot of time…

think i have all the connections…

it connects but does not display car play…stuck on last step

really have given up unless i can get some advice
I would unpair the phone and T2C box and do that pairing connection over again.

1) On the iPhone go to Settings-General-CarPlay and select the Autokit_C1234 pairing (1234 is whatever your device uses for its name). Then select “Forget This Car”.
2) Make sure in your Wi-Fi settings you “Forget” the Autokit_C1234 network too and in Bluetooth the same.
3) Once you have cleared out all the old pairing go to Bluetooth and look for the Autokit_C1234 and connect.
4) Wait until it asks you about Syncing contacts (say yes) and (most importantly) wait until it asks you if you want to use wireless CarPlay and say yes.

See if this helps?

As a newbie, it's quite difficult to get through this thread. On the one hand, different CarPlay solutions are obviously being discussed here, without it always being clear which solution a contribution belongs to.
So it would be nice if the thread was split up.
On the other hand, many fundamental questions are discussed in different places, since there are also software updates, it is difficult to judge what is relevant and what is not.

I have the following basic questions about the CarLinKit T2C Wireless, which I would like to summarize here. Maybe someone can answer these coherently and make it easier for all newbies to get the basics:

1. How does the wireless version connect to the Tesla? WLAN? Bluetooth or cable and wireless only refers to the connection to the iPhone?

2. For the power supply, the part has to be plugged into a USB port anyway. What is the best USB port to use for this?

3. If the adapter is plugged in, does the Tesla still go to sleep 'well-behaved'? What happens when I start the Tesla? How long does the adapter take to start? Does it work automatically or do you have to trigger something manually each time?

4. How is the connection to the iPhone done? Bluetooth or WiFi? The question here is also does it work automatically when boarding or does it have to be coupled manually? How long will it take before CarPlay is actually available?

5. When my Tesla is at home, does it automatically connect to the house WiFi (e.g. for updates) does this also work when the adapter is plugged in?

6. How is the interaction between the CarPlay and premium connectivity? Does this run in parallel? Or if you do without Premium and want to use the corresponding functions (as far as possible) using a hotspot on the iPhone, is that possible in conjunction with the CarLinKit?

As far as the questions I have at the moment, maybe others can come up with other basic things.
As I said, maybe you can find answers somewhere in the thread. But that's too confusing for me. If someone thinks I can search myself, I accept the opinion, there is no need to write that now.
Thank you if someone can be found who will answer the questions anyway. If nobody can be found, then that's just the way it is.

• Informative
Reactions: jerome8283
On the one hand, different CarPlay solutions are obviously being discussed here
I’d be glad to try to help, but I want to clarify the statement you made. This thread is about a specific device, the T2C. This device is basically a knock off of the Tesla Android. Tesla Android is the project by Mike Gapinski that uses a Raspberry Pi with a Carlinkit dongle that is being discussed in a separate thread on this board.

There are two versions of the T2C device. I’m not sure that anybody has the newer version yet. The only difference that I’m aware of is that the newer the version does not have a Sim card slot and you can only use the hotspot feature.

Does that make sense?

1. How does the wireless version connect to the Tesla? WLAN? Bluetooth or cable and wireless only refers to the connection to the iPhone?

2. For the power supply, the part has to be plugged into a USB port anyway. What is the best USB port to use for this?

3. If the adapter is plugged in, does the Tesla still go to sleep 'well-behaved'? What happens when I start the Tesla? How long does the adapter take to start? Does it work automatically or do you have to trigger something manually each time?

4. How is the connection to the iPhone done? Bluetooth or WiFi? The question here is also does it work automatically when boarding or does it have to be coupled manually? How long will it take before CarPlay is actually available?

5. When my Tesla is at home, does it automatically connect to the house WiFi (e.g. for updates) does this also work when the adapter is plugged in?

I can help to answer some of your questions with the caveat that I have the T2C, but don't have my Tesla yet.

1. The device has two (well more, but trying to keep it simple) things going on, it is a wifi hotspot and a tiny little web server. You connect the Tesla to the wifi network the T2C brodcasts. The divice intercepts the web traffic and hosts the web page for carplay, https://tslpush.com , and lets everything else pass through. This is why you need either a SIM card or to tether to th iPhone. The T2C does not pass audio, this is handled with a direct bluetooth connection from the phone to the Tesla.

2. Doesn't matter that I know of, I was figuring arm rest.

3. This one I can't answer, but it seems that a USB on/off switch is a good idea. I would think the phone will connect most of the time within a minute of getting in the car, or turning the switch on. But just like my current BMW with factory Carplay, there will be times when nothing happens and the T2C, and sometimes the iPhone will need to be restarted.

4. See answer number one. The iPhone needs to be connected to the Tesla with bluetooth first. The T2C needs data, either a SIM or tehtered to you iphone (ive tested this at home and it works). Then the Tesla needs to be connected to the T2C wifi network. Now go to the carplay settings on the iphone, and wirelessly connect to the T2C, there is no wired option. Open the browser and go to https://tslpush.com/ , this will display the carplay interface. Remember this is hack, so expect to fiddle a bit each time you connect. But it has been seemless on my laptop so far, I expect eh car to be more hit or miss.

5. This is where the USB on/off switch comes in. Not sure how all this works in real life. Probably a good idea to get one.

All that said, this is not a factory Carplay experience. Go into with open eyes and expect it to work most of the time. I have a 45-60 min commute each way. I live by Waze and Audible to keep me sane. I will spend the time at the beginning of the trip to make sure it works. For short hops around home, if it doesn't work it isn't the end of the world.

Adding a few more details to @mclark2112 great reply.

2. It just needs power from USB so stick it anywhere that is most convenient for you.
3. There is an issue here which is that the USB ports stay powered up for an indeterminate period of time after locking the car which means your iPhone might stay connected to CarPlay while in your house. This messes up things like audio routing and basic Wi-Fi. To address this people (including me) have a USB power switch to power off the unit when leaving the car at home. We are experimenting with a switched power supply from the tow harness.
4. Once the unit has booted-up CarPlay connection to the iPhone is automatic - initial pairing is a one-time exercise.
5. USB switch makes this simple.
6. I have premium connectivity (new car trial) and both work at the same time.

3. This one I can't answer, but it seems that a USB on/off switch is a good idea. I would think the phone will connect most of the time within a minute of getting in the car, or turning the switch on. But just like my current BMW with factory Carplay, there will be times when nothing happens and the T2C, and sometimes the iPhone will need to be restarted.

All that said, this is not a factory Carplay experience. Go into with open eyes and expect it to work most of the time. I have a 45-60 min commute each way. I live by Waze and Audible to keep me sane. I will spend the time at the beginning of the trip to make sure it works. For short hops around home, if it doesn't work it isn't the end of the world.
I cannot get #3 to work consistently either with or without my switch. My prior BMW x7 worked flawlessly, expect when I first enabled it but it was all new to me at that time. Once I had it configured, it worked.

I don’t consider the T2C a solution to the CarPlay-less issue with Tesla. It’s a workaround and that I can live with until something else comes along.

I don’t consider the T2C a solution to the CarPlay-less issue with Tesla. It’s a workaround and that I can live with until something else comes along.
Agreed. It works but requires a minute or two setting it up each time the car starts from sitting idle for a while, namely powering it up, waiting for it to boot - 45s, switching wifi on in the car/ensuring it has joined Autolink then waiting for/hitting refresh on the browser.

The power up sequence could be made to happen automatically with the switched power source but getting the Tesla to *automatically* join the right wifi network appears hard to overcome - it appears to switch off Wifi when it goes to sleep.

I am going to try the Hansshow 9" Linux unit and see if that experience is more seamless.

Agreed. It works but requires a minute or two setting it up each time the car starts from sitting idle for a while, namely powering it up, waiting for it to boot - 45s, switching wifi on in the car/ensuring it has joined Autolink then waiting for/hitting refresh on the browser.

The power up sequence could be made to happen automatically with the switched power source but getting the Tesla to *automatically* join the right wifi network appears hard to overcome - it appears to switch off Wifi when it goes to sleep.

I am going to try the Hansshow 9" Linux unit and see if that experience is more seamless.
Correct, when pulling away from home it doesn’t turn WiFi on, or back on.

I think I mentioned this before…I had experiences when going into a store and leaving the device powered on, returning and it connecting without me doing anything. I have to test this again because someone made a good point that I may not have given enough time to power down.

I'll tell you about my experience with it.

First, installation is a BITCH. That's because you have to get to the MCU in the passenger footwell and put in a jumper. I almost broke my neck and or my car doing it. Very nerve racking. I got it done by laying some boxes on the ground to make it level with the car so I could lay across the boxes and the floor of the car to get to it. If I had to do it again (just thinking of this now) I might remove the passenger seat first.

The other trim pieces and mounting are pretty easy.

Operation has a few pluses and minuses. The beautiful thing about this setup is it behaves like part of the car. When the Tesla screen comes on the Hansshow screen comes on. Turns off just the same.

CarPlay operation is a different animal. It doesn't play well with the Telsa like the T2C does in terms of routing things through Bluetooth (calls and other audio). You can get it to behave the same by playing / pausing audio sources with the steering wheel, etc. Sometimes it would stick, other times you'd have to do it again.

It usually connected to CarPlay without incident. When it didn't there were a few onscreen buttons to click to restart the unit which would resolve it just about every time as I recall.

Reaching around the steering wheel to operate a touchscreen is a horrible experience, probably not too safe.

I don't like having an extra display. Never felt like I was missing out by not having a center display. It doesn't offer anything I can't get from the main display.

I don't like the cluttered look and extra illumination at night. I like the simplistic look of one screen in the Tesla. The second one (Hansshow) makes it feel busy.

I had experiences when going into a store and leaving the device powered on, returning and it connecting without me doing anything. I have to test this again because someone made a good point that I may not have given enough time to power down.
I've started experimenting with this too. Sometimes it will reconnect magically, which is nice. Another time it didn't, so I still have to revert to turning it off and on anyway.

Reactions: jerome8283