Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I w
I'll tell you about my experience with it.

First, installation is a BITCH. That's because you have to get to the MCU in the passenger footwell and put in a jumper. I almost broke my neck and or my car doing it. Very nerve racking. I got it done by laying some boxes on the ground to make it level with the car so I could lay across the boxes and the floor of the car to get to it. If I had to do it again (just thinking of this now) I might remove the passenger seat first.

The other trim pieces and mounting are pretty easy.

Operation has a few pluses and minuses. The beautiful thing about this setup is it behaves like part of the car. When the Tesla screen comes on the Hansshow screen comes on. Turns off just the same.

CarPlay operation is a different animal. It doesn't play well with the Telsa like the T2C does in terms of routing things through Bluetooth (calls and other audio). You can get it to behave the same by playing / pausing audio sources with the steering wheel, etc. Sometimes it would stick, other times you'd have to do it again.

It usually connected to CarPlay without incident. When it didn't there were a few onscreen buttons to click to restart the unit which would resolve it just about every time as I recall.

Reaching around the steering wheel to operate a touchscreen is a horrible experience, probably not too safe.

I don't like having an extra display. Never felt like I was missing out by not having a center display. It doesn't offer anything I can't get from the main display.

I don't like the cluttered look and extra illumination at night. I like the simplistic look of one screen in the Tesla. The second one (Hansshow) makes it feel busy.
I was never sold with the Hansshow. Maybe because early on the experiences were terrible. They seemed to have gotten better but the items you mention are still a showstopper for me considering the cost. I have both Tesla-Android and T2C at a much lower cost.

Did you try what @Mandingo suggested? Also, did you try from a desktop?
i cannot get it to work…

as i said it’s got 3/7 firmware; wi-fi connects to tesla; bluetooth connects to device…set as carplay; iphone set as hotspot; iphone shows device as carplay vehicle…

it opens the tespush.com page…

it sees the device…

it just does not make that last step of passing through the carplay display…

periodically “connecting” comes on the tesla screen…my phone show the hotspot icon for a second…it just never connects

i have booted; rebooted; looked at any carplay or hotspot setting..

look at the tesla screen…it’s close…it says connect to the bluetooth but it is connected

Attachments

• 340F03A9-5425-47EA-BF33-ABD34164C0A2.jpeg
    340F03A9-5425-47EA-BF33-ABD34164C0A2.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 161
@Mandingo is your car AMD or Intel?
Mine is a Feb 23 build so is AMD. The install looks easier since it doesn’t require direct connection to the MCU.

In terms of controlling CarPlay I saw a video that shows you can use the right scroll wheel to move around the UI instead of touch screen - was that easier?

He is using the scroll wheel here from 13m:30s:-

Attachments

• 1F69AEC7-7A03-4328-BF1A-FA62D6E596DA.jpeg
    1F69AEC7-7A03-4328-BF1A-FA62D6E596DA.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
i cannot get it to work…

as i said it’s got 3/7 firmware; wi-fi connects to tesla; bluetooth connects to device…set as carplay; iphone set as hotspot; iphone shows device as carplay vehicle…

it opens the tespush.com page…

it sees the device…

it just does not make that last step of passing through the carplay display…

periodically “connecting” comes on the tesla screen…my phone show the hotspot icon for a second…it just never connects

i have booted; rebooted; looked at any carplay or hotspot setting..

look at the tesla screen…it’s close…it says connect to the bluetooth but it is connected
Unit may be faulty.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the issues are heat related. I see this a lot with small devices. Look at the tesla android project, you need some decent cooling for that, and I would guess this is the same. The fancy T2C case may have trumped adequate ventilation.

Just did another test with my PC, connects great. It does take a minute or two, but this little guy probably has a very minimal processor, so not surprised.

Anyone here use T2C in 2018 or 2019 model 3? I don’t care about newer model 3’s. Was wondering where you ended up placing the T2C in the older model 3 in order to have responsive carplay interface? Older cars cars have different wifi antenna placements & range so curious if T2C has stronger wifi to compensate.

Can anyone help me out here, I’m so confused. Last week I bought a T2C direct from the carlinkit Amazon store, but they had 9 different product listings for Tesla, all with different prices. I read all the descriptions and cannot tell the difference between any of them. I’m pretty sure all of them said SIM + hotspot.

For example, here are 4 product listings from the official Carlinkit store:

1. Carlinkit Tesla Wireless Carplay Adapter for Tesla Y & Tesla 3, Plug&Play, 5G Chip, for iPhone Fastest Speed Wireless Apple Car Play Dongle, Auto Connect, Online Update, USB/Type C 2Cables https://a.co/d/aL9GSF4 - $129
  2. CarlinKit 3.0 Tesla CarPlay T2C , Wireless Apple Carplay Adapter for Tesla Original System Cars, Plug and Play, sensorless Connection (Keep Your car Online), 2.4G+5G WiFi https://a.co/d/hNTymqE - $89
  3. Tesla CarPlay CarlinKit 3.0 T2C Wireless CarPlay Adapter for Tesla's Original System car, Instantly Upgrade to Wireless CarPlay, Keep Your car Machine Online, (SIM Card not Included) https://a.co/d/3h6bTHx - $99
  4. Carlinkit T2C 2023 for Tesla carplay Wireless Adapter, Tesla wirelessly Connect Apple carplay, The Latest Version for Tesla Model 3 and Model Y After 2019 https://a.co/d/fU9iAIe - also $99

I ended up buying the one for $89 since it was cheapest, but that item shows as no longer available on Amazon. Is it an old unit? Should I return it and get one of the other ones? It’s weird because it has the same availability date of November 3, 2022 as the $99 unit previously linked in this thread.

And on their site they had two listings:
  1. CarlinKit Wireless CarPlay Android auto Mini Box Adapter For Tesla Model 3/X/Y/S CarPlay Wireless Activator Navigation Spotify Siri iOS16 New
  2. T2C Carlinkit Mini Carplay Android Auto Wireless Wifi Box Bluetooth Adapter For Tesla Model 3/X/Y/S Apple Carplay Dongle OTA Online Update
One is $89 and one is $139 and when I looked last week the product descriptions were identical. I did email them asking about it so maybe they’re updated now, havent checked yet.

I am so confused.

Thanks.

Really bad advertisement!

The $89 #1 above comes without the SIM option which is why it’s cheaper. It only show’s the Bluetooth connection method. You purchased the correct one.

If you scroll down on #2 you will see mention of two connection options. See the attached pic. #1 does not show this.

0A186A2A-31EB-4C4F-B597-6C156C6152BF.jpeg

Reactions: mylapore
Really bad advertisement!

The $89 #1 above comes without the SIM option which is why it’s cheaper. It only show’s the Bluetooth connection method. You purchased the correct one.

If you scroll down on #2 you will see mention of two connection options. See the attached pic. #1 does not show this.

View attachment 917679

The $89 one I bought does have sim though. Here’s a pic of the box:

Attachments

• D774D488-52FF-47DD-B96A-F6D058A52CE5.jpeg
    D774D488-52FF-47DD-B96A-F6D058A52CE5.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 98