Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone asked about satellite maps without premium connectivity with CarPlay - if you use Google Maps you have the option to enable satellite view.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpeg
    IMG_0593.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 659
Do you have another phone you can try, a family member perhaps?

Does the same black screen appear if try to connect from a PC or Laptop?

I hadn’t thought of testing from Laptop!

So I tried two different phones on the Tesla, same black screen. On three different laptops, it worked fine from within chrome.

So it’s definitely specific to the car.

Is anyone running FSDb with this device ? I got the device the same day I got the new FSD, it was working prior to the update .

Connection to the Ownice T3 seems to be a bit quicker/more stable to connect without using the hotspot, and since my Premium connectivity wasn't working with the hotspot not sure what the point is.

A couple questions:
- Is there a way to have the Tesla browser default to the Ownice URL vs saving it as a favorite
- Curious, when I try to mirror my phone, I can't get things like Netflix to mirror or send sound, just shows a black screen?

I hadn’t thought of testing from Laptop!

So I tried two different phones on the Tesla, same black screen. On three different laptops, it worked fine from within chrome.

So it’s definitely specific to the car.

Is anyone running FSDb with this device ? I got the device the same day I got the new FSD, it was working prior to the update .

I just updated to FSDb 11.4.2 - tesla software version 2023.7.10 - and I am having the same problem. No resolution after clearing the browser cache or rebooting the Tesla system. I think the upgraded Tesla software has some changes to the bowser that is causing this problem. Of note, both Ownice and T2C are not working but interesting enough the Tesla Android latest version 2023.20.1.1 is working!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Connection to the Ownice T3 seems to be a bit quicker/more stable to connect without using the hotspot, and since my Premium connectivity wasn't working with the hotspot not sure what the point is.

A couple questions:
- Is there a way to have the Tesla browser default to the Ownice URL vs saving it as a favorite
- Curious, when I try to mirror my phone, I can't get things like Netflix to mirror or send sound, just shows a black screen?
Yes, I think the hotspot and premium connectivity are both redundant once CarPlay is running. I don’t use either.

If you leave the browser running it will often restart on the right screen (see my video Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices) but sometimes it doesn’t - haven’t quite worked out this behavior yet.

There is also a link for recently used URL’s on the default browser page too - this gets you back to CarPlay more quickly than going through favorites.

Last edited:
Hmm..someone mentioned a while back that one day Tesla would update something that would impact these 3rd party solutions.

It did not impact the Tesla Android so far but since Tesla Android just had a large upgrade including some browser functionality it could be that the Ownice and T2C are using some older browser functionality that is not supported by the Tesla browser any longer. Or Tesla could be catching up to stop this hack and it is a matter of time to stop the Tesla Android also.

Reactions: jerome8283
It did not impact the Tesla Android so far but since Tesla Android just had a large upgrade including some browser functionality it could be that the Ownice and T2C are using some older browser functionality that is not supported by the Tesla browser any longer. Or Tesla could be catching up to stop this hack and it is a matter of time to stop the Tesla Android also.
If you and the other folks can submit a bug report to CarLinkit and Ownice with your version number they can hopefully get started on the fix. The fact that Tesla Android still works demonstrates there are workarounds.

They just have a glitch in their frontend tbh, not hard to find with the inspector. Karma is finally getting to them

Hi Mike, thanks for providing the insight. It would be great if you could add two functionalities to Tesla Android that the Ownice has - additional resolution (e.g., more icons on the screen) and iPhone WiFi Hotspot usage in addition to the tethered solution. Thank you.

Hi Mike, thanks for providing the insight. It would be great if you could add two functionalities to Tesla Android that the Ownice has - additional resolution (e.g., more icons on the screen) and iPhone WiFi Hotspot usage in addition to the tethered solution. Thank you.
For tesla android You can get more icons on screen by changing the resolution in autokit app to be higher…or did you want even more icons than what appears at highest resolution.