Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading your posts and comments and I don't really understand what you are trying to do with Premium Connectivity. Once you got the CarPlay working, the only two remaining benefits of having Premium Connectivity are:
1. Real Time Sentry Monitoring
2. High Quality Audio

Lastly, I will be happy to address your concerns via a private chat.
Take care
I have never heard of premium connectivity providing high quality audio. It provides a cellular connection and the streamed music has been the lower end of quality unless they changed something recently (kinda doubt it, I would have heard).

I have never heard of premium connectivity providing high quality audio. It provides a cellular connection and the streamed music has been the lower end of quality unless they changed something recently (kinda doubt it, I would have heard).
Yeah I think the list goes:
1 Satellite maps and traffic visualization
2 Streaming music/theater apps
3 Live remote camera views

CarPlay provides 1 and 2 for “free” (Live traffic is on all the CarPlay map apps, Google Maps has satellite view, use Hotspot for video). After the novelty wore off of #3 I don’t miss it because I stopped using it.

Premium connectivity is $99/yr and these CarPlay devices are around $75-85 so you break even in under 12 months.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Yeah I think the list goes:
1 Satellite maps and traffic visualization
2 Streaming music/theater apps
3 Live remote camera views

CarPlay provides 1 and 2 for “free” (Live traffic is on all the CarPlay map apps, Google Maps has satellite view, use Hotspot for video). After the novelty wore off of #3 I don’t miss it because I stopped using it.

Premium connectivity is $99/yr and these CarPlay devices are around $75-85 so you break even in under 12 months.
Yup. Exactly why I do not use premium connectivity either.

Just added a new refinement - when wireless CarPlay connects I now use a shortcut to automatically switch to low power mode to stop the iPhone from overheating. It got especially hot if I was using the wireless charger at the same time.

Ironically maps are smoother in low power mode since the iPhone stays cooler and the OS is less likely to throttle the CPU and GPU down.

Low Power mode doesn’t affect anything CarPlay related so there’s no downside (I think).

Reactions: timeshifter
Anyone using the t2c wireless CarPlay have it stop working on the newest Tesla software 2023.7 or 2023.12 ?

All I get is a black screen where the CarPlay should be. CarPlay is running because even though the screen is black you can still interface with CarPlay.

Anyone using the t2c wireless CarPlay have it stop working on the newest Tesla software 2023.7 or 2023.12 ?

All I get is a black screen where the CarPlay should be. CarPlay is running because even though the screen is black you can still interface with CarPlay.
I'm on 2023.12.9 and it works fine.

Have you tried factory reset on the device (when connected use the browser on the iPhone to go to 192.168.3.1 then select Factory Reset)?

I’m running 2023.12.5.4 and it works for me.

I did notice recently from time to time while in CarPlay it switches back to the Tesla home screens for no reason that I’m able to identify yet. Not sure if this started with this new Tesla version.

I have been using Ownice with Android auto for a couple of weeks now. It mostly works, but one issue I can't seem to resolve is using voice commands with the google assistant. In AA this is the only way you can search for songs in the YouTube music app. It could also be useful for me with setting destinations with Google maps(at least this app has a keyboard based search option). But I just can't seem to get it to work. Anyone else facing this issue or know of ways to fix it?

Try clearing tesla browser cache and reboot Tesla MCU.

Did that - reset the device , reset the car , cleared cache , forgot device etc

I got the unit the same day as the software update to the Tesla. Was working fine before the FSDb was installed.

The unit connects fine, it’s just when the browser comes up it flashes the config page but then where the CarPlay should be it’s blank.

This just happened to me right now but I use tesla android (android os) + carlinkit cpc200-ccpa dongle . I’ve experienced the black screen once a month usually.
Today I fixed it by turning off CarPlay on my phone AND quitting autokit app (the software for carlinkit hardware which emulates a car stereo/ CarPlay head unit). Just disability CarPlay on phone & renabling did not help.
Maybe disable CarPlay on phone & reboot T2C when this happens.

This just happened to me right now but I use tesla android (android os) + carlinkit cpc200-ccpa dongle . I’ve experienced the black screen once a month usually.
Today I fixed it by turning off CarPlay on my phone AND quitting autokit app (the software for carlinkit hardware which emulates a car stereo/ CarPlay head unit). Just disability CarPlay on phone & renabling did not help.
Maybe disable CarPlay on phone & reboot T2C when this happens.

Working fine for me on 2023.12.9. Reboot your car.

Oh this black screen issue pops up every now and then. Been using the systems for a year, multiple tesla vehicle updates. probably phone and or the system which masquerades as a carpkay head unit getting confused.

Car rebooted (two button steering wheel reset)
Reset the t2c via web interface
Cleared cache on car from service menu
Rebooted phone
Forgot the device from Bluetooth and CarPlay menu

There is NO setting to disable CarPlay afaik in iOS 16.5

Repaired phone , phone shows up on tespush , then the spinning connect happens and when it should drop to the CarPlay screen it’s just black.

Really don’t know what to do ..

Car rebooted (two button steering wheel reset)
Reset the t2c via web interface
Cleared cache on car from service menu
Rebooted phone
Forgot the device from Bluetooth and CarPlay menu

There is NO setting to disable CarPlay afaik in iOS 16.5

Repaired phone , phone shows up on tespush , then the spinning connect happens and when it should drop to the CarPlay screen it’s just black.

Really don’t know what to do ..
I use iOS 16.5 . In iOS there is a setting to enable & disable carpkay per device. Click on CarPlay in setting. Click on entry in the list of cars / devices that provide carplay connection. You will see enable/disable.
IMG_9893.jpeg

I use iOS 16.5 . In iOS there is a setting to enable & disable carpkay per device. Click on CarPlay in setting. Click on entry in the list of cars / devices that provide carplay connection. You will see enable/disable.
View attachment 942307

Thanks
Enabled and disabled this - still getting the black screen unfortunately

Ran through everything again - same result. It is definitely “connected” , just the image is black but you can still hit the screen and it will perform actions like skip a song or pause