Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ownice

Super weird issue popped up out of the blue. If I’m listening to music say on tidal, and switch the screen to show Waze while driving, the Tidal music pauses. So I can’t listen to music while viewing Waze.

I don’t recall changing a setting anywhere.

Any ideas?

Ownice

Super weird issue popped up out of the blue. If I’m listening to music say on tidal, and switch the screen to show Waze while driving, the Tidal music pauses. So I can’t listen to music while viewing Waze.

I don’t recall changing a setting anywhere.

Any ideas?

In settings, voice and sound change setting for "play sound via" to "play as Bluetooth phone call", does that make it work?

I just received my Carlinkit. So far it took a few tries to get everything connected in the right order (lots of 'failed to connect' errors along the way). Got it connected and displaying Android auto in the garage. Came inside for 10 min or so and then got back in the car. It had the web page up still and simply asked which phone I wanted to connect. Selected my primary and it reconnected with no other user input. Hopefully it works that well all the time. Now for the bad news...I brought my phone in with me and put it on my nightstand and it's started playing audio on it's own on 2 separate occasions now. It's been 30 min since the last time. Hopefully it doesn't start up again in the middle of the night. Anyone had this type of iasue with theirs?

Wonder if you could provide more information on the USB switch. Was it USBA with USBC adaptors, where did you get it? I have tried one USBC switch (Amazon) which works using a 120volt charger, but doesn't work in 2023 Tesla Model Y's USBC ports. It seems to be designed to work with the Raspberry PI, but no go with the Tesla. Thanks
I used a Rasberry PI usbc switch.

I purchased one of these boxes from Hansshow. It looks like the manufacturer is Kalos and seems to be a clone of the ownice as I'm also at version 2.8.12. I am yet to get it to work properly. It is challenging to get Bluetooth and wifi all connected at the same time. When I do, I get a black screen in my browser on my 2019 Tesla Model 3. Is everyone having the same problem with these units or is the unit I got defective?

I purchased one of these boxes from Hansshow. It looks like the manufacturer is Kalos and seems to be a clone of the ownice as I'm also at version 2.8.12. I am yet to get it to work properly. It is challenging to get Bluetooth and wifi all connected at the same time. When I do, I get a black screen in my browser on my 2019 Tesla Model 3. Is everyone having the same problem with these units or is the unit I got defective?
Are you in a car with FSDb software? That seems to still cause a black screen with the Ownice.

Posted this yes, probably wrong forum...
I noticed in most set up guides from different CarPlay boxes you need to enter in Tesla browser a Chinese website address, whatever.cn.

Do you think is your iPhone and Tesla data sent to some Chinese server?

Posted this yes, probably wrong forum...
I noticed in most set up guides from different CarPlay boxes you need to enter in Tesla browser a Chinese website address, whatever.cn.

Do you think is your iPhone and Tesla data sent to some Chinese server?
Unlikely. More likely is that the box installed in your car (which is creating the WiFi network your phone uses to facilitate CarPlay) has a small DNS routing table that is set to route whatever.cn to the local box's IP address.

Normally DNS requests (the thing that translates "google.com" into an actual server IP address) goes out onto the internet into a global DNS network to perform lookups. Without getting too technical, the little local network is essentially "intercepting" the request for whatever.cn and pointing it at the box's web host so that it can serve up the CarPlay interface.

This is a fairly common approach with home automation/home networking gear.

Reactions: charlesoris
Unlikely. More likely is that the box installed in your car (which is creating the WiFi network your phone uses to facilitate CarPlay) has a small DNS routing table that is set to route whatever.cn to the local box's IP address.

Normally DNS requests (the thing that translates "google.com" into an actual server IP address) goes out onto the internet into a global DNS network to perform lookups. Without getting too technical, the little local network is essentially "intercepting" the request for whatever.cn and pointing it at the box's web host so that it can serve up the CarPlay interface.

This is a fairly common approach with home automation/home networking gear.
Furthermore, you may want to consider turning off Personal Hotspot.

T2C Dropouts - i think i have tracked down the cause of the screen dropout (CarPlay screen disappears, display shows black Settings screen for ~10 seconds) - it appears to be related to the iPhone overheating on the wireless charger. When the phone gets warm/hot which it often does on the Tesla built-in charger this tends to happen. When I run the phone off the charger I haven’t seen a single dropout yet. I’ll keep testing, please post if you have your own data/experience.

Reactions: fsb1
I experience dropouts and see the black setup screen from time to time but don’t use the Tesla charger for my iPhone. I have a MagBak charger. Heat may still be an issue since the MagBak mounts to the upper left corner of the Tesla screen where heat exists due to sunlight from the windshield. The back of the Tesla screen gets really hot so my phone could get hot too. I will pay closer attention now.

Can anyone recommend a reliable 16v to 5v buck converter? I tried a cheap Chinese 12v to 5v converter so that I could hardwire it to the tow harness but it wouldn't power up. I tested a dashcam to confirm the power was working which it was.

Thanks I've ordered one directly from their website since Amazon is showing it as unavailable. Hopefully this does the trick!
It should work, I have it wired to the tow harness myself and it has enough juice to power both 5v USB sockets at the same time. I also have a radar detector on the 12v side of the harness so that’s three devices getting power at once. The led is very bright so you get free footwell blue lighting too 😉

It should work, I have it wired to the tow harness myself and it has enough juice to power both 5v USB sockets at the same time. I also have a radar detector on the 12v side of the harness so that’s three devices getting power at once. The led is very bright so you get free footwell blue lighting too 😉
Heh we clearly have the same thought process in mind. I currently have laser jammers running off of it. Next will be the R7 detector and finally the Ownice. I added an inline fuse just to be safe as well.

T2C Dropouts - i think i have tracked down the cause of the screen dropout (CarPlay screen disappears, display shows black Settings screen for ~10 seconds) - it appears to be related to the iPhone overheating on the wireless charger. When the phone gets warm/hot which it often does on the Tesla built-in charger this tends to happen. When I run the phone off the charger I haven’t seen a single dropout yet. I’ll keep testing, please post if you have your own data/experience.
That theory didn’t hold up - I got a drop out today with the phone not charging - in fact it was within first 3 minutes of my drive. The ODM/Carlinkit folks need to find and fix this bug, it’s clearly happening to multiple people.