Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran the pigtail wires outside to connect to the USB adapter which is held on by Velcro in the footwell where I can reach it. I switch between Ownice and T2C by plugging them in.
Plugged in the harness. Can’t seem to figure out how to get the plastic moulding back in properly? Doesn’t seem to clip in anywhere?

IMG_2045.jpeg

Okay, well managed to get things back in shape though I needed my heat gun to remold the plastic. Note to anyone doing this...only remove the carpeted layer not the moulding, it's a b*tch to get to the plug but better than messing with the moulding.

@Mandingo This was an awesome find. Using the break harness wiring and having the unit turn on/off when I enter/leave the car makes the solution way better in daily use. Outside of needing to wait about 30ish seconds for the Wifi to catch on, it has worked flawlessly the last couple of days.

I wonder if all cars even without the hitch package have that plug sitting there vs just those of us who purchased a hitch since the harness needs to be bought separately (for a whopping CAD$5).

Okay, well managed to get things back in shape though I needed my heat gun to remold the plastic. Note to anyone doing this...only remove the carpeted layer not the moulding, it's a b*tch to get to the plug but better than messing with the moulding.

@Mandingo This was an awesome find. Using the break harness wiring and having the unit turn on/off when I enter/leave the car makes the solution way better in daily use. Outside of needing to wait about 30ish seconds for the Wifi to catch on, it has worked flawlessly the last couple of days.

I wonder if all cars even without the hitch package have that plug sitting there vs just those of us who purchased a hitch since the harness needs to be bought separately (for a whopping CAD$5).
I believe most (all?) cars have the connector but I read somewhere that the power is disabled to the connector if you didn’t specify the hitch package at the start. So having the connector isn’t enough - you need the software switch too and I don’t think it’s (easily) hackable.

Reactions: pbcsd
I’ve been trying to rely on the Tesla built-in systems (with the latest update 2023.26.7 and Premium Connectivity) recently and I thought I’d share a comparison with the CarPlay streaming systems such as T2C and Ownice. Most people are familiar with the Tesla systems but I hope this comparison might be helpful:-

1) Built-in Spotify is now pretty reliable in the Tesla on v.2023.26.7 and Podcasts will finally resume properly (versus always restarting from beginning). There are issues with a few podcasts that refuse to play at all (This American Life for example) but otherwise it’s ok. I don’t subscribe to Apple Music or Tidal so I can’t comment on those (perhaps someone else can?).

2) Tesla maps fall a long way short - I know it’s Google maps underneath but I believe the routing and UI is Tesla’s own - turn-by-turn directions are frequently wrong, for example it imagines intersections where there are just bends in the road and then misses areas where there is a real stop sign.

3) I find the lack of sufficient map zooming as you approach an intersection pretty irritating when there are directions that are ambiguous (two exit roads from a junction that are almost parallel for example) and the lane indicator oftentimes isn’t sufficient. Apple Maps will give you a close up detailed representation to ensure you know exactly where to go.

4) The voice guidance for Tesla maps often has a timing issue where it’s either too early (starts speaking at the exit *before* the one you want if they are close) or very late. The Tesla speech synthesis has a lot of pronunciation errors too compared to Siri’s voice.

5) There are no real-time indicators for accidents, cops etc and traffic is often less reliable/out-of-date versus Apple Maps or Waze/Google Maps.

6) Speech recognition is ok - the Tesla finds the destination I want about as accurately as Siri does.

7) Benefits of using the built-in system are that the maps screen is silky smooth (AMD is 60fps) versus the CarPlay-in-a-browser (3-10fps). Jerky/slow screen refresh bothers me a lot and was the prompt for me to try the Tesla systems for a while.

8) Tesla navigation is immediately available when getting in the car versus waiting 30secs for CarPlay to boot up.

9) Tesla also uses no extra battery or data from my iPhone (unlike CarPlay) and the phone doesn’t overheat as much on the wireless charger.

10) The Tesla maps will estimate battery usage for your journey and can show Superchargers along the route too - Apple Maps is apparently adding this but it won’t be automatic in the Tesla.

11) The Tesla doesn’t pause/mute/lower the Spotify audio when giving voice directions so they shout over each other. This is so simple to implement and so sloppy that they haven’t done this. Apple lowers the sound or (optionally) pauses spoken content such as podcasts or ebooks when giving spoken directions.

12) Sound quality is about the same (Spotify at least) versus CarPlay-over-Bluetooth.

13) Messaging isn’t as slick in the Tesla versus iMessage in CarPlay - group messages don’t work and the UI is clunky. Upcoming iOS 17 has some nice CarPlay iMessage improvements too that widens the gap even further.

14) Calendar and phone functionality is about the same.

So when people ask me why am I bothering with CarPlay in a Tesla the main benefits are more robust navigation options that help me make fewer mistakes, a more integrated user experience where all the apps have a common visual and input style, better messaging and perhaps the most important of all, more choice - I talked about Spotify and Apple Maps here but with CarPlay your preference might be Waze and Amazon Music - it’s up to you.

Just wanted to update on my power situation. I went with the DROK buck converter which worked perfectly on my 2023 MY with a 16v battery. This combined with switched power from the tow hook has made the Ownice an even smoother experience now. Thanks again for the recommendation @Mandingo

Here's a pic of where I used some velcro tape to mount the Ownice under the footwell.
1000013279.jpg

Reactions: pbcsd
@Mandingo Thanks for the write-up.
I don't have Premium Connectivity since I made decision to switch to Ownice, previously T2C, and Personal Hotspot for Tessie and Tesla Connectivity.
On long distance trips I enter the destination and Tesla Nav. selects SuperChargers.
I, then, enter the location of a SuperCharger in Waze.
While the routes are typically the same, the added visual and audio route conditions coming from Waze, can not be matched by Tesla Nav. with Premium Connectivity, IMHO.
I would say that Ownice has met my expectations even though there is about a 30 sec delay for it to boot up.

@Mandingo great write up.

I use Tidal. The Tidal app in the Tesla has one big advantage, which is you can search songs or artists. On CarPlay it won’t let you search, you can only play your favorites, playlists, etc. That’s probably the most irritating thing annoying the CarPlay integration for Tidal.

But…with CarPlay you can randomize your playlists whereas Tesla Tidal app will only play it sequentially.

I feel like the audio quality is about the same?

I haven’t been using the Tesla apps since plugging my Ownice into the tow harness.

The 30 second wait does bug me. Would be nice if Ownice could somehow program the software so that you can start driving va having to wait for the Wifi to kick in. I know technically I can drive away and then I can put the car in park and after 5-10seconds the wifi kicks in, but not overly convenient.

Finally, you can get premade Tesla Android Project (open source project) setups in a nice case with a fan with or without whatever peripherals you want. They also feature the optional usage of external wifi antennas which boosts performance for model 3 older then 2021 as well as MCU2 legacy cars.

Later kits for existing Raspberry Pi 4 Raspberry setups will be available.

See this TMC thread for details.

T2C Dropouts - i think i have tracked down the cause of the screen dropout (CarPlay screen disappears, display shows black Settings screen for ~10 seconds) - it appears to be related to the iPhone overheating on the wireless charger. When the phone gets warm/hot which it often does on the Tesla built-in charger this tends to happen. When I run the phone off the charger I haven’t seen a single dropout yet. I’ll keep testing, please post if you have your own data/experience.
I haven’t used the T2C in a little bit. I used it today and experienced a few dropouts, more than ever. Has there been any firmware releases lately? I’m running T2C firmware version 23061017.4.9.

Update Ownice 2018 Model 3.

Seems Waze is finally working without lag…even in area wheee I have a poor signal with phone calls. Waze zoom feature turned back on now too.

Looking at Waze on phone, info is in sync with Ownice CarPlay. The Waze app on Ownice is now remaining responsive as well. Prior, the delay in response of the buttons was equivalent to however long it was lagging behind.

Seems Waze is finally working without lag…even in area wheee I have a poor signal with phone calls. Waze zoom feature turned back on now too.

Looking at Waze on phone, info is in sync with Ownice CarPlay. The Waze app on Ownice is now remaining responsive as well. Prior, the delay in response of the buttons was equivalent to however long it was lagging behind.
I’m on 2.8.14 and can’t zoom?

If only Ownice would be able to bypass the hdcp or whatever protection to allow Netflix etc to display it would be awesome. Apparently it’s not that hard to do either.

Back to Ownice if that's ok. Firstly I have to update via Phoenix suite as 3.3.3.3 just fails ALL the time. But that's the least of my issues....

Unless I am doing something wring, changing the settings (China to US) is pointless as when I reboot the device (as prompted) it reverts back to China anyway.

Finally, and this is the crux of it all. I have up to a 20 second lag on any nav (Waze, Google etc). Some (most) users dont get this lag, so I can only think that it's because my car is Intel Atom and therefore cannot handle the processing. Unfortunately I cannot test my device on a Ryzen car as dont know anyone with it.

Hey - great to see yours is working and with a Intel Atom processor? Did you manage to save any settings on the 3.3.3.3 page? When I do and then reboot, it just reverts back to China...

I've got a new problem: my cars internet connection won't work when I'm connected to my T2C. No voice commands, browsing websites, etc. However, CarPlay is still working fine. This used to happen occasionally, but now it's every time I use it. Any ideas?

I've got a new problem: my cars internet connection won't work when I'm connected to my T2C. No voice commands, browsing websites, etc. However, CarPlay is still working fine. This used to happen occasionally, but now it's every time I use it. Any ideas?
A couple of posts back someone mentioned hotspot no longer being required. Well lately I’ve noticed that I need to have hotspot on in order to use the T2C. Also without hotspot while using the T2C MyQ garage door opener would not work. Now that hotspot is enabled or needs to be enable, MyQ garage door opener works. Try turning on your hotspot.