Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You turned the hotspot back on? I’m confused how you fixed this. I’m experiencing same problem.

i haven't tried, but not sure how this impact the car's wifi connection to the ownice box. Before, i would just have to connect the box, and if the car doesn't connect, select the box wifi and off we go. I haven't used mine for a while so figured i had to set it up again and never got around to playing with it. But the tesla firmware is quite possibly the reason as it was recently updated once or twice since i last used it.

I use mine with a SIM card and so far so good. It automatically connects about 95% of the time. With the SIM in it, it also acts as a Wi-Fi hotspot so I can use most of the premium connectivity features without subscribing to it.
Tesla offers most services free (standard connectivity) if you provide your own hotspot Which car connects to. Tesla has a diagram of which premium connectivity features are not included. That the reason all these devices offer an ability to have an internet connection which is passed along to the car when the device is used as a hotspot. Some devices offer multiple methods such as Tesla Android (SIM, tether your phone via usb, Bluetooth tether - too slow, or via any device that can plug in to Ethernet work), T2C (SIM, Bluetooth tether [specific models]- too slow), ownice (WiFi tether).

i haven't tried, but not sure how this impact the car's wifi connection to the ownice box. Before, i would just have to connect the box, and if the car doesn't connect, select the box wifi and off we go. I haven't used mine for a while so figured i had to set it up again and never got around to playing with it. But the tesla firmware is quite possibly the reason as it was recently updated once or twice since i last used it.
My guess is that there's now a check in place for internet access once your car connects to a wifi network. If you don't have a hotspot or SIM then the car looses internet access and it won't let you connect to that wifi network.
All I did was turn the hotspot back on in my mobile, then it worked fine.

Hey @Mandingo I just got mine yesterday and have it all hooked up! The only things that would be nice (for me) is if the graphic of the car matched the graphic on the tesla screen - I don't have a silver M3.. :)

Also - do you know if there is a way to get to carplay w/o touching the screen? I have it set to "auto" but I have to touch the fromt right wheel to get to carplay (for some reason, I don't have a carplay icon I can scroll to).

Matt

Tesla offers most services free (standard connectivity) if you provide your own hotspot Which car connects to. Tesla has a diagram of which premium connectivity features are not included. That the reason all these devices offer an ability to have an internet connection which is passed along to the car when the device is used as a hotspot. Some devices offer multiple methods such as Tesla Android (SIM, tether your phone via usb, Bluetooth tether - too slow, or via any device that can plug in to Ethernet work), T2C (SIM, Bluetooth tether [specific models]- too slow), ownice (WiFi tether).

I don’t think that statement is correct

IMG_2153.png

Also - do you know if there is a way to get to carplay w/o touching the screen? I have it set to "auto" but I have to touch the fromt right wheel to get to carplay (for some reason, I don't have a carplay icon I can scroll to).

Matt
Thats kind of weird that you don’t have a CarPlay icon on the main screen once you start driving - it should be a 3 way carousel with CarPlay, Android Auto and Settings that appears once you’re driving above ~10mph. Does the right steering scroll wheel do anything?

If not first try a reboot (hold LEFT scroll wheel down for 6 seconds until it restarts) and second make sure you are on the latest firmware by visiting their page.

Thats kind of weird that you don’t have a CarPlay icon on the main screen once you start driving - it should be a 3 way carousel with CarPlay, Android Auto and Settings that appears once you’re driving above ~10mph. Does the right steering scroll wheel do anything?

If not first try a reboot (hold LEFT scroll wheel down for 6 seconds until it restarts) and second make sure you are on the latest firmware by visiting their page.

Yeah - I thought so as well - after seeing the videos. I have rebooted it, but will give it a shot again - I also validated I am on the latest firmware.

The right scroll wheel does things - like I can go into settings, but I don't see that icon.

Here is a video I took (after the reboot) - def no icons..

Last edited:
Yeah - I thought so as well - after seeing the videos. I have rebooted it, but will give it a shot again - I also validated I am on the latest firmware.

The right scroll wheel does things - like I can go into settings, but I don't see that icon.

Here is a video I took (after the reboot) - def no icons..

I watched your video - you need to start driving (~10mph) before it appears, icon is not visible when you are stationary.