Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Satin Dark Grey Wrap on a Performance car with Performance Upgrade Package.
3M Satin Black Chrome Delete.
3M Crystalline Tint all windows.
Carbon Fiber Sport Wing also wrapped in Satin Dark Grey.

20x8.5" TST in Matte Black on Factory Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35-20 tires.

satin-dark-gray-tesla-model-3-performance-20-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-wm-1.jpg

satin-dark-gray-tesla-model-3-performance-20-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-wm-3.jpg

satin-dark-gray-tesla-model-3-performance-20-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-wm-5.jpg

satin-dark-gray-tesla-model-3-performance-20-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-wm-4.jpg

Reactions: yearofthedragon
Just came back from the tire shop after installing new MRR GF 07 19x8.5 +30mm wheels square set up with Michelin Pilot S4S 245/40/19. Ran into an issue with the TPMS sensor/valve stem. Not sure if anyone else came across this when installing new wheels. I re-used the OEM TPMS sensors and valves since the sensors are already programmed to the car. When it was done, we noticed that the valve stem was scraping against the calipers in the rear wheels only. Apparently, the solution is to either use a short stem adapter or switch to a band TPMS sensor. Anyone else run into this? Will there be any issues using a band sensor? Spoke to Josh @ Getyourwheels and he suggested installing a short valve stem adapter that looks like a lollipop (see last pic). Tire shop said they don't recommend it because by using an adapter the sensor is pushed further into the middle of the wheel, and if you get a flat, you'd crush the sensor. So sounds like band sensor is the best option?

Temporary solution was to leave the TPMS sensor out and install a 90 degree rubber valve stem. I don't currently have a TPMS sensor but I haven't seen a flat tire/low pressure warning from the car.

Attachments

• IMG_6731.JPG
    IMG_6731.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_6731.JPG
    IMG_6731.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_6732.JPG
    IMG_6732.JPG
    351.2 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_6734.JPG
    IMG_6734.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_6736.PNG
    IMG_6736.PNG
    308.6 KB · Views: 472
Just came back from the tire shop after installing new MRR GF 07 19x8.5 +30mm wheels square set up with Michelin Pilot S4S 245/40/19. Ran into an issue with the TPMS sensor/valve stem. Not sure if anyone else came across this when installing new wheels. I re-used the OEM TPMS sensors and valves since the sensors are already programmed to the car. When it was done, we noticed that the valve stem was scraping against the calipers in the rear wheels only. Apparently, the solution is to either use a short stem adapter or switch to a band TPMS sensor. Anyone else run into this? Will there be any issues using a band sensor? Spoke to Josh @ Getyourwheels and he suggested installing a short valve stem adapter that looks like a lollipop (see last pic). Tire shop said they don't recommend it because by using an adapter the sensor is pushed further into the middle of the wheel, and if you get a flat, you'd crush the sensor. So sounds like band sensor is the best option?

Temporary solution was to leave the TPMS sensor out and install a 90 degree rubber valve stem. I don't currently have a TPMS sensor but I haven't seen a flat tire/low pressure warning from the car.

All Model 3's are going to have the problem you're having depending on the how the wheel is casted/molded. Same situation with newer Model S's. Big rear caliper since e-brake has been integrated into the rear caliper for some time now.

All aftermarket wheels in the market with those recessed valve stems that give the wheel a faux lip behind the spokes are going to have clearance issues with factory TPMS. Happy banding or adapting.