Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's fine. But it's actually section widths that determine the outer limit of viable rim size. And a long appreciated tuner trick in terms of optimizing handling is to put the tire on the widest Rim that it can go on. And some instances that's an inch or more than the section width but this tire is still wider than the rim that it's going on in terms of its section. That's a conservative mount, irrespective of whatever information you may have found on the web. And more importantly and critically there are multiple guys running a 275 / 30 on this rim without incident. If you don't believe me call Haywood at EVS.

I get it. For the folks that aren’t tuners or hardcore I think sticking to tire manufacturer recommendations is the safest bet. Especially if something happens and it requires warranty. If something happened and it required warranty claims, it would suck when they realize the tire used is not within specs and deny you all claims.

Reactions: pkalhan
I get it. For the folks that aren’t tuners or hardcore I think sticking to tire manufacturer recommendations is the safest bet. Especially if something happens and it requires warranty. If something happened and it required warranty claims, it would suck when they realize the tire used is not within specs and deny you all claims.

It seems very unlikely that EVS is actually selling a wheel and tire combination in which the tire warranty would be automatically voided by their mounting it. I'm going to check with tirerack about this but I think you're unduly concerned.

Putting on larger tires has all kinds of downsides. First of all you are essentially changing the final drive ratio, deteriorating your acceleration off the line, potentially generating clearance or rubbing problems with such a large Tire, adding unsprung weight, negatively impacting ride and using a tire that is not Tesla specific. That's a lot of downsides to balance against your hypothetical upside and perhaps a modest gain in lateral grip.

Last edited:
It seems very unlikely that EVS is actually selling a wheel and tire combination in which the tire warranty would be automatically voided by their mounting it. I'm going to check with tirerack about this but I think you're unduly concerned.

Putting on larger tires has all kinds of downsides. First of all you are essentially changing the final drive ratio, deteriorating your acceleration off the line, potentially generating clearance or rubbing problems with such a large Tire, adding unsprung weight, negatively impacting ride and using a tire that is not Tesla specific. That's a lot of downsides to balance against your hypothetical upside and perhaps a modest gain in lateral grip.

It’s your car.

I’m just saying... maybe it’s smart to consider manufacturer recommendations. You don’t have to prove anything to me. I’m not going to say I’m smarter than Michelin so I’ll stick to their recommendations. You do you. Stop being so serious. lol

• Funny

Putting on larger tires has all kinds of downsides. First of all you are essentially changing the final drive ratio, deteriorating your acceleration off the line, potentially generating clearance or rubbing problems with such a large Tire, adding unsprung weight, negatively impacting ride and using a tire that is not Tesla specific. That's a lot of downsides to balance against your hypothetical upside and perhaps a modest gain in lateral grip.[/QUOTE

I asked EVS to provide a quote for the Vorsteiners with Pilots Sport 4s' mounted and balanced and they quoted me a price for 245's and 285's.

Does this count? My powder coated satin black OEM 19's??

Attachments

• 20190112_214006.jpg
    20190112_214006.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 480
  • 20190113_003544.jpg
    20190113_003544.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 445
Hey guys, I'm considering going with Brixton RF7 for my Model 3 AWD non-Performance. These Brixton RF7 for the Tesla Model 3 are spec'd at:

Front: 20×9 +35
Rear: 20×10.5 +40

So I'm thinking of going with tires:

Front: 245/35R20
Rear: 285/30R20

Do you guys think there might be any clearance or rub issues with this wheel and tire setup on an AWD non-Performance stock setup?

brixtonrf7gm_5.jpg

I don't want the tires to look stretched, should I go with these tire sizing instead? Will these fit without any clearance or rub issues with this wheel and tire setup on an AWD non-Performance stock setup?

Wheels:
Rear: 20×10.5 +40​

Tires:
Front: 255/35R20
Rear: 295/30R20​

Hey guys, I'm considering going with Brixton RF7 for my Model 3 AWD non-Performance. These Brixton RF7 for the Tesla Model 3 are spec'd at:

Rear: 20×10.5 +40

So I'm thinking of going with tires:

Front: 245/35R20
Rear: 285/30R20

Do you guys think there might be any clearance or rub issues with this wheel and tire setup on an AWD non-Performance stock setup?

View attachment 368722
This is flow formed not fully forged. How much are these?

TE37 (fake rotas)
19x9.5 believe +35 (Stickers were removed)
19x10.5 believe +35 (stickers were removed)
275s all the way around.
I bought them used. For a pretty good price. Not exactly ideal set up but if doesn't work I will buy the right size rims and flip these. Need to wait for my coil overs from MPP to really see if they will fit once I lower car, I hope they tuck in a bit. You can see from the phots that front pokes out, might need to roll front fender but hopefully not. Fingers crossed.
5695CB33-0690-4661-99ED-F276AC5E2702.jpeg
328C2CA2-7679-44EC-8170-757FF288092A.jpeg
4F8501A3-063D-4DAF-83C1-C817F5A336EA.jpeg
86E15E98-E235-4DDA-949D-3A5860B74711.jpeg
24152BCB-927F-4573-82B6-BD4D584E700A.jpeg
DBFF9B70-B7B8-4DED-8192-00B73C9A65DE.jpeg

It’s your car.

I’m just saying... maybe it’s smart to consider manufacturer recommendations. You don’t have to prove anything to me. I’m not going to say I’m smarter than Michelin so I’ll stick to their recommendations. You do you. Stop being so serious. lol
Fair enough. Not trying to be too serious, but I do think people need to be aware that there are trade-offs in all of this. Wider tires intrinsically have costs beyond the money you're spending. In any case I will post pictures as I'm getting mine mounted tomorrow. I'm pretty comfortable with this setup of 235/35 on a 9 inch wheel and 275 / 30 on a 10 and a half inch wheel because I've done this before. I generally try to get the widest wheel that I can afford make it forged so that it's lightweight, and that way you get the best handling possible with the tire. As you say your mileage may vary. Fair enough?

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911
I don't want the tires to look stretched, should I go with these tire sizing instead? Will these fit without any clearance or rub issues with this wheel and tire setup on an AWD non-Performance stock setup?

Wheels:
Rear: 20×10.5 +40​

Tires:
Front: 255/35R20
Rear: 295/30R20​

I don't think anyone has ever confirmed a 295 / 30 Tire fitting on the Rears. There's also the problem of whether it's simply too much tire for the car, and just how much unsprung weight you're adding which deteriorates both ride and handling, and then there's the range issue which you could unintentionally crater with rubber this large. The problem is once they're mounted you own them so that's a lot of cash on an experiment. If you're going to spend that kind of money I'd make sure that the tire fits before you mount it or better yet actually drive a car set up with this set of wheels and tires and make sure you can live with it. I don't think there's a whole lot of clearance on the front but they should fit because other people have confirmed bigger tires than that. But at the rear I don't know that anyone has ever confirmed a 295 / 30 Tire fitment. Also with those offsets you probably want to have this going on a performance version not the regular version. Don't mean to be critical but I've made this kind of mistake myself in the past of not testing out a radical wheel and tire package before committing and plunking down all the cash and I hate to see other people make it.

• Helpful
I don't think anyone has ever confirmed a 295 / 30 Tire fitting on the Rears. There's also the problem of whether it's simply too much tire for the car, and just how much unsprung weight you're adding which deteriorates both ride and handling, and then there's the range issue which you could unintentionally crater with rubber this large. The problem is once they're mounted you own them so that's a lot of cash on an experiment. If you're going to spend that kind of money I'd make sure that the tire fits before you mount it or better yet actually drive a car set up with this set of wheels and tires and make sure you can live with it. I don't think there's a whole lot of clearance on the front but they should fit because other people have confirmed bigger tires than that. But at the rear I don't know that anyone has ever confirmed a 295 / 30 Tire fitment. Also with those offsets you probably want to have this going on a performance version not the regular version. Don't mean to be critical but I've made this kind of mistake myself in the past of not testing out a radical wheel and tire package before committing and plunking down all the cash and I hate to see other people make it.

Someone in FB posted their setup with 20x10.5 +45 295/35 with no issues, don’t know about how much range loss, looks great tho

Reactions: dfwatt

Thanks for the input. I think I'll keep with the 245/35R20 and 285/30R20 tire option. Been looking at images and they don't seem to be stretched on 9 inch and 10.5 inch wheels, plus 255 up front seems a bit tight with the suspension components. Also, seems like this is the recommended tire sizing for these wheel width as well on many sites with wheel and tire package. More tire options as well.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll keep with the 245/35R20 and 285/30R20 tire option. Been looking at images and they don't seem to be stretched on 9 inch and 10.5 inch wheels, plus 255 up front seems a bit tight with the suspension components. Also, seems like this is the recommended tire sizing for these wheel width as well on many sites with wheel and tire package. More tire options as well.
I just got the 275/30 out to measure. The specs on the Tire Rack website are just plain wrong. The section width on this tire is a full foot - 12 inches in other words. More than enough for 10.5 inch wheel. This becomes part of the evidence along with the fact that the 235/35 tire is wider than listed that Tesla requested Michelin to bake in some significant structural differences from the standard Pilot 4S tire.

The changes that we know about include the acoustic foam and the extra 2 lb of weight. It's hard to believe that those two pounds are due to the foam and I suspect that they have something to do with the extra tread and section width. I suspect that they made some kind of structural changes to the tire to accommodate running pressures of 42 - 44 pounds on a regular basis which is way higher than anybody else recommends running on a street Tire. This is just my speculation but it's the only thing that explains all the data points including the significant increases in weight, the fact that the tires are wider than listed and wider than what's on Tire racks stat sheet from Michelin on their website. This becomes fairly conclusive evidence against the supposition that you need to go wider than the Tesla specific 275/30 Tire on a Vorsteiner or other 10.5 inch wheel

I just got the 275/30 out to measure. The specs on the Tire Rack website are just plain wrong. The section width on this tire is a full foot - 12 inches in other words. More than enough for 10.5 inch wheel. This becomes part of the evidence along with the fact that the 235/35 tire is wider than listed that Tesla requested Michelin to bake in some significant structural differences from the standard Pilot 4S tire.

The changes that we know about include the acoustic foam and the extra 2 lb of weight. It's hard to believe that those two pounds are due to the foam and I suspect that they have something to do with the extra tread and section width. I suspect that they made some kind of structural changes to the tire to accommodate running pressures of 42 - 44 pounds on a regular basis which is way higher than anybody else recommends running on a street Tire. This is just my speculation but it's the only thing that explains all the data points including the significant increases in weight, the fact that the tires are wider than listed and wider than what's on Tire racks stat sheet from Michelin on their website. This becomes fairly conclusive evidence against the supposition that you need to go wider than the Tesla specific 275/30 Tire on a Vorsteiner or other 10.5 inch wheel
Great thoughts. I was looking at 19x10 and 19x8.5 fronts with 275 , and 235 respectively!

Some concerning news about the wheels Haywood that EVS should be aware of: 1) their weight is radically different from what you quoted - 26 lbs for the fronts 27 for the rears vs. the 21 and 22 lb numbers quoted for me (which would have negatively effected my decision to buy if I had known this at the time); 2) even more troubling, the center bore appears to have been set to be virtually IDENTICAL to the hub diameter, instead of .1 mm larger (which is what it is supposed to be). This meant that I had to sand and wire brush the center hub area of each wheel to even get them to fit on the hub at all. One of them was almost impossible to fit, and I was concerned at one point that I would not get it flush on the rotor mounting surface, even with the immense pressure possible from the lug nuts, and at one point I was not sure that I could either mount, or dismount, the wheel - fortunately, I was able to work it back and forth to the point where it released, and I was then able to sand down the center bore to the point where it could be mounted. I have not road tested them yet.

These issues are serious and should be reviewed with your management. I'm sure you were not aware of them. But you should be.

On the plus side, the tires easily fill out the wheel, without any stretch, and look just gorgeous even if the wheel itself was a b---- to put on. It was a difficult mount in terms of the tire too - the technician was pretty skilled and finally got the tire on the wheel after a bit of a battle. The rears are just MASSIVE and I couldn't imagine putting an even larger tire than this thing on the car!

GMAIL has crashed (what else is new?), so no way to get pictures off of my phone. Will have to finish posting those manana!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: logan and 3laine