Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did. I had the pilot sport 4s's in 245/285 mounted and balanced a week ago; however it will be a while before I install them on my model 3 since I live in the Northeast.

Were those on Vorsteiner 107s? I'll be really curious what you think of that setup when the arctic wasteland of the NE resolves into Spring (NE is where I have lived for most of my life unfortunately!) Also do you have LR or DMP?

Black Model 3 with 20" TSS Flow Forged Wheels in Matte Black and Matte Carbon Fiber Trunk Wing.

black-tesla-model-3-20-inch-tss-flow-forged-wheels-arachnid-style-matte-black-wm-1.jpg
black-tesla-model-3-20-inch-tss-flow-forged-wheels-arachnid-style-matte-black-wm-2.jpg
black-tesla-model-3-20-inch-tss-flow-forged-wheels-arachnid-style-matte-black-wm-3.jpg

I found this picture online, they are flow forged wheels, but I think the VS V01 would look similar?
VS Forged VS01 | Vertini VS01 | Split 5-Spoke Wheels

Tesla Model 3 on TSW Bathurst gunmetal concave staggered rotary forged wheels - 2 by TSW ALLOY WHEELS, on Flickr

I''m kind of thinking 19x9 with 35 offset. Or maybe 19x9.5 with 35 offset depending on tire choices.
What size tires would fit the 19x9's the best? Anyone recommend a good wheel size calculator?

I found this calculator, but I'm not sure which size would be best on the 3 Tyre Size for Rim Size/Width Calculator - What's the best tyre size for my rim?

Another thing, I like the dark brushed metal finishes, but I worry that if I were to ever damage them that it would be impossible to repair vs a standard matte finish? Am I thinking correctly or worrying for nothing?

Last edited:
I''m kind of thinking 19x9 with 35 offset. Or maybe 19x9.5 with 35 offset depending on tire choices.
What size tires would fit the 19x9's the best? Anyone recommend a good wheel size calculator?

This one seems to work well: Tire Size Calculator

Based on what I've seen, 245/40R19 or 255/40R19 should fit best on a 19x9.

265/35R19 might fit as well but I believe I've only seen it on an 18x8.5+40 so with extra width and more aggressive offset it might cause some issues.

I'm guessing there's no tires with acoustic foam that will fit this wheel then?
To my knowledge and this is simply from scrolling through all of the sizes on Tire racks website in the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, there is only acoustic foam in the Tesla specific 235 / 35 - 20 and in the 275 / 30 - 20 versions of that tire. That's part of why when I decided to go to a staggered setup despite some reservations about it on all wheel drive, I went with those two tire sizes. I haven't regretted that choice either.

Personally I think the Tesla specific 235 / 35 - 20 Pilot Sport 4S is the best all-around tire for the car. First of all, it really is quite a bit wider than any other 235/35 - and not by a little. The tread is almost a quarter inch wider than any other 235/35 tires in that particular Tire. In fact the tread is even wider on that tire (the Tesla specific version in other words) than any other 245 / 35 in that model of tire. You see the same thing on the Tesla specific 275 / 30. It is significantly wider in terms of his tread than the other non Tesla specific 275s. You have to believe that Tesla tweaked those tires to make them better for the Model 3. I don't see how you can draw any other conclusion. Add that to the fact that in general the Pilot Sport 4S dropkicks any other Max performance summer Tire in terms of Tire rack's subjective user ratings, and then it also dropkicks every other competing model of tire on the track testing. In fact on a wet track it's better than the re71, and only very minimally behind that tire in the dry

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
To my knowledge and this is simply from scrolling through all of the sizes on Tire racks website in the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, there is only acoustic foam in the Tesla specific 235 / 35 - 20 and in the 275 / 30 - 20 versions of that tire. That's part of why when I decided to go to a staggered setup despite some reservations about it on all wheel drive, I went with those two tire sizes. I haven't regretted that choice either.

Personally I think the Tesla specific 235 / 35 - 20 Pilot Sport 4S is the best all-around tire for the car. First of all, it really is quite a bit wider than any other 235/35 - and not by a little. The tread is almost a quarter inch wider than any other 235/35 tires in that particular Tire. In fact the tread is even wider on that tire (the Tesla specific version in other words) than any other 245 / 35 in that model of tire. You see the same thing on the Tesla specific 275 / 30. It is significantly wider in terms of his tread than the other non Tesla specific 275s. You have to believe that Tesla tweaked those tires to make them better for the Model 3. I don't see how you can draw any other conclusion. Add that to the fact that in general the Pilot Sport 4S dropkicks any other Max performance summer Tire in terms of Tire rack's subjective user ratings, and then it also dropkicks every other competing model of tire on the track testing. In fact on a wet track it's better than the re71, and only very minimally behind that tire in the dry
I feel like if I have to go staggered I'd be better off sticking with my OE 18's and MXM4s :( Actually I was thinking to stick to lower rolling resistance tires anyways, I mean I'd love to have sport tires, but most of my driving is my daily 80-100 mile commute

I also won't do the 235 if it has the rim sticking out EVEN more I was thinking to even move up to a 265 to have the tire stuck out a bit. I feel like the rim sticks out so far already if I was stopped next to a curb, and turn the wheel it would curb rash without even moving forward.

:( Dang now I'm back to square one!

This one seems to work well: Tire Size Calculator

Based on what I've seen, 245/40R19 or 255/40R19 should fit best on a 19x9.

265/35R19 might fit as well but I believe I've only seen it on an 18x8.5+40 so with extra width and more aggressive offset it might cause some issues.
I'm playing with the calculator but it does not seem to take into consideration the wheel width?
Can I run something like these:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...9&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17
on a 19x9" square setup on the tesla? Seems like an all season like this would improve my traction over stock, but not affect range too bad?

@dfwatt I have been looking for tire info all day.

I really want 19" wheels as they will allow for a future brake upgrade, without requiring lower profile tires like 20s would, but now it seems the best tire choices are for 18s and 20s only? Can someone verify?

Tesla has a Spot 4s version that fits my 18" wheels but it only has a 20,000 mile tread rating. I don't really want 20's either.

For 19's I found the following that I think will fit on an 19x9 with 35 offset
(How do I know if they will fit on a model 3 specifically?)

245x40x19 :
Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires

They boast better traction than the MXM4's and longer tread life. They might be a good tire for my commuter? But are they better than the tesla specific MXM4 with TO?

Thanks. In general, I do prefer wider wheels, but also want to keep them as light as possible.
The added weight for an extra .5" of extra barrel is minor.

With that said, I went with 19x8.5" with 245/40/19's because:
1. slightly lighter
2. more protection against curb rash/damage
3. if michelin comes out with acoustic 235 or 245/40/19's, either will work great on 8.5" wheels. 235's on a 9" wheel will work but it'll look slightly stretched (unless they decide to make them a little wider than normal, like the current 20" tires), IMO.

The added weight for an extra .5" of extra barrel is minor.

With that said, I went with 19x8.5" with 245/40/19's because:
1. slightly lighter
2. more protection against curb rash/damage
3. if michelin comes out with acoustic 235 or 245/40/19's, either will work great on 8.5" wheels. 235's on a 9" wheel will work but it'll look slightly stretched (unless they decide to make them a little wider than normal, like the current 20" tires), IMO.

I had read that 235/45-118 tires on OEM 18" wheels are slightly stretched. Thus, 245/40-19 should be just right on 19x8.5 VS Forged, but I don't it for sure.

I had read that 235/45-118 tires on OEM 18" wheels are slightly stretched. Thus, 245/40-19 should be just right on 19x8.5 VS Forged, but I don't it for sure.
It's astonishing to see the level of fear expressed on this forum about so-called stretching of tires. Tire is not stretched until the wheel width is greater than the section width. That means a 235 tire is not stretched until you put it on a 10 inch rim. Even 9.5 inch rims do not stretch the tire in a technical sense. Most certainly 9 inch rims do not