Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's astonishing to see the level of fear expressed on this forum about so-called stretching of tires. Tire is not stretched until the wheel width is greater than the section width. That means a 235 tire is not stretched until you put it on a 10 inch rim. Even 9.5 inch rims do not stretch the tire in a technical sense. Most certainly 9 inch rims do not

Add that to the level of fear of curbing a wheel.

• Funny
Reactions: pkalhan
It's astonishing to see the level of fear expressed on this forum about so-called stretching of tires. Tire is not stretched until the wheel width is greater than the section width. That means a 235 tire is not stretched until you put it on a 10 inch rim. Even 9.5 inch rims do not stretch the tire in a technical sense. Most certainly 9 inch rims do not
I go by the tread width. The 235/20's on the stock 20x8.5" wheels look just about right. The sidewall looks parallel with the wheel/perpendicular to the ground. Put it on a 10" wheel and it will look stretched, at least to my eyes.

I go by the tread width. The 235/20's on the stock 20x8.5" wheels look just about right. The sidewall looks parallel with the wheel/perpendicular to the ground. Put it on a 10" wheel and it will look stretched, at least to my eyes.

Well you have some information that is correct but some of it is not. First of all the 235 / 20s are in fact 8.8 inches wide in terms of their tread. But that isn't really the crucial variable it's the section width. I'm not recommending a 10in wheel for that tire and in fact if you read my prior post I would say a 10 inch wheel is a stretch fit on that tire at 9.5 in of inches of section width. When you say the 235 / 35 looks about right on an 8.5 inch wheel, are you aware that most folks who track the car or who do autocrossing or racing would argue that an 8.5 inch wheel is not wide enough to get Optimum performance from the tire? A wider wheel that is at least equal to the section width is generally deemed as the optimal solution to keep the tread patch square and resist rolling up under cornering forces. Now that has other downsides, chief of which is that the wheel is more exposed to curb rash. But like everything else it's all trade-offs. If you want the best performance at least get your wheel width to be equal to the section width of the tire. That's section width not tread width

Well you have some information that is correct but some of it is not. First of all the 235 / 20s are in fact 8.8 inches wide in terms of their tread. But that isn't really the crucial variable it's the section width. I'm not recommending a 10in wheel for that tire and in fact if you read my prior post I would say a 10 inch wheel is a stretch fit on that tire at 9.5 in of inches of section width. When you say the 235 / 35 looks about right on an 8.5 inch wheel, are you aware that most folks who track the car or who do autocrossing or racing would argue that an 8.5 inch wheel is not wide enough to get Optimum performance from the tire? A wider wheel that is at least equal to the section width is generally deemed as the optimal solution to keep the tread patch square and resist rolling up under cornering forces. Now that has other downsides, chief of which is that the wheel is more exposed to curb rash. But like everything else it's all trade-offs. If you want the best performance at least get your wheel width to be equal to the section width of the tire. That's section width not tread width
I was speaking strictly to the looks. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. Lots of different considerations when looking at street v. the track. I won't argue about the track stuff but taking a look at a track oriented car like the new ZR-1:
Wheels are 19x10.5" and 20x12."
The stock tire sizes are 285/30/19's and 335/25/20's.
Section widths are 11.4" and 13.5" and tread widths are 11.3" and 13"
The people buying ZR-1's are mostly likely going to have a dedicated set for the track, though. Maybe they'd get wider wheels (all other things being equal.)

The GT3RS also runs larger sectional widths (about an inch wider) than the wheel width, front and back.

My tire installer does a lot of work for the car club members in the area and tracks his cars as well. He recommended staying in the middle of the recommended wheel width range provided by the manufacturer of that particular tire (whether it's an all season for the street or a sport cup2 for the track), and if anything, err slightly to a wider wheel for the track (as you stated.)

Last edited:
@dfwatt thanks for all your input. It sounds like a 245/40/19 would be perfect for my commuter 3, and I have ditched the idea of going with what Michelin specifies. Sounds like I want a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the in 245/40/19.

Other option could be to get the PS4S in 265/35/19 and go with 19/9.5 wheel? However this seems like it will kill range in a car I mostly commute in.

Or just keep it stock with the 18's and change my tires when they wear out :)

@dfwatt thanks for all your input. It sounds like a 245/40/19 would be perfect for my commuter 3, and I have ditched the idea of going with what Michelin specifies. Sounds like I want a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the in 245/40/19.

Other option could be to get the PS4S in 265/35/19 and go with 19/9.5 wheel? However this seems like it will kill range in a car I mostly commute in.

Yes it's a perennial dilemma. Do you want a Cruz mobile or do you want a Batmobile? The 265 / 35 on a 9.5 inch wheel would be an awesome Batmobile option. The 235 or 245 would be the cruise mobile option. It's all trade-offs.

If it's at all pertinent I have not taken a range hit by putting 275 / 30 tires on the rear of my car. That may be because they're on the rear and in that sense there's less of an aerodynamic penalty. On the front is still the stock 235 / 35

These are 20s correct?

I found this picture online, they are flow forged wheels, but I think the VS V01 would look similar?
VS Forged VS01 | Vertini VS01 | Split 5-Spoke Wheels

Tesla Model 3 on TSW Bathurst gunmetal concave staggered rotary forged wheels - 2 by TSW ALLOY WHEELS, on Flickr

I''m kind of thinking 19x9 with 35 offset. Or maybe 19x9.5 with 35 offset depending on tire choices.
What size tires would fit the 19x9's the best? Anyone recommend a good wheel size calculator?

I found this calculator, but I'm not sure which size would be best on the 3 Tyre Size for Rim Size/Width Calculator - What's the best tyre size for my rim?

Another thing, I like the dark brushed metal finishes, but I worry that if I were to ever damage them that it would be impossible to repair vs a standard matte finish? Am I thinking correctly or worrying for nothing?

The 265's weigh about 3 lbs more than the 245's. Static tire weight > static wheel weight due to physics and all that.

These are 20s correct?
I'm not sure I just found that picture online. Most likely it's a 20" setup and apparently staggered too according to the flickr description. Probably why it looks so good plus being lowered. I think discount tire sells these. I just used it for an example, I think straight spokes look great on the 3, but maybe I have strange taste and those new fanged Y spokes are where it's at.

Reactions: 4agemr2
I was speaking strictly to the looks. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. Lots of different considerations when looking at street v. the track. I won't argue about the track stuff but taking a look at a track oriented car like the new ZR-1:
Wheels are 19x10.5" and 20x12."
The stock tire sizes are 285/30/19's and 335/25/20's.
Section widths are 11.4" and 13.5" and tread widths are 11.3" and 13"
The people buying ZR-1's are mostly likely going to have a dedicated set for the track, though. Maybe they'd get wider wheels (all other things being equal.)

The GT3RS also runs larger sectional widths (about an inch wider) than the wheel width, front and back.

My tire installer does a lot of work for the car club members in the area and tracks his cars as well. He recommended staying in the middle of the recommended wheel width range provided by the manufacturer of that particular tire (whether it's an all season for the street or a sport cup2 for the track), and if anything, err slightly to a wider wheel for the track (as you stated.)

Your installer is correct. All this boils down to a simple conclusion - keep your wheel width really close to your section width. If you want more performance, make them the same or even slightly larger on the wheel width. If you want cheaper wheels, less weight, less vulnerability to curb rash, you can make the wheel somewhat narrower than the section width.

As for speaking to looks, this is clearly an area where beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally love the look of wheels and tires where the the wheel width nails the section width on the nose - and the wider wheel makes the tire look wider, which I also like.

Reactions: al503
Yep I have the same 107's as you. I'll let you know when it warms up and will post some pics. I have the LR RWD.

Probably a better choice for a staggered setup than my all-wheel-drive frankly, although I've been pleasantly surprised about the absence of understeer at any reasonable speed. Still haven't been able to get the car on a skid pad on track mode to see if track mode allows that extra rear wheel width to really manifest itself in terms of better traction out of the corners. One thing is for sure and that is the setup looks phenomenal. That vorsteiner 107 is a gorgeous wheel.

I'm playing with the calculator but it does not seem to take into consideration the wheel width?
Can I run something like these:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...9&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17
on a 19x9" square setup on the tesla? Seems like an all season like this would improve my traction over stock, but not affect range too bad?
You probably want 9.5 inch wheel width on that size. You can probably get a 9 inch wheel to work but it wouldn't be my first choice. Even with a 9.5 you're going to squeeze the tire a little bit. That tire fits best probably on a 10 inch wheel but a 9.5 is probably a sweet spot. As for range hit I would bet that that's depending on the rolling resistance of the tire you choose.

Last edited:
Got my wheels and tires mounted up the other day...quick iPhone photo after. 19x9.5 +35 Avant Garde M580. 265/30/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Tires.

Currently on the Tsport lowering springs. I have the MPP comfort coil overs on order, hopefully they come off back order soon. It’s just not quite low enough for what i want.

Attachments

• 3030AAE7-E5E5-49A9-9A43-CB0C8D720A1C.jpeg
    3030AAE7-E5E5-49A9-9A43-CB0C8D720A1C.jpeg
    741 KB · Views: 1,210
Got my wheels and tires mounted up the other day...quick iPhone photo after. 19x9.5 +35 Avant Garde M580. 265/30/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Tires.

Currently on the Tsport lowering springs. I have the MPP comfort coil overs on order, hopefully they come off back order soon. It’s just not quite low enough for what i want.

Looks good!

Reactions: 503M3