Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah i just figured that out reading up on it. so you don't have the large brakes, nor the stronger hubs.

problem still stands: Aero wheels dont fit on new model 3 performance cars.

sweet unicorn tho. If i could have ordered that I would have, then done my own brake and suspension upgrades.

yeah i'm gonna call bs on that one. first off the M3 performance has different hubs, and secondly there's no option on the ordering page to order them without the 20's. post up some pics of those Aero's covering your Performance calipers.

I'd happily be wrong here. Truly. I'd be stoked if the factory Aero's fit over the Performance brakes. maybe if you used a spacer, then had the wheels milled out to fit the larger hubs.

Not sure if you know. Although not offered anymore...there are sleeper p3d’s out there with non performance brakes. Originally, If you didn't get the performance upgrade package, it came with regular hubs, brakes and aero wheels.
But in all seriousness... If you get someone to make CF wheels for you post em up!! I’d love to see them!!

Reactions: outdoors and dfwatt
Not sure if you know. Although not offered anymore...there are sleeper p3d’s out there with non performance brakes. Originally, If you didn't get the performance upgrade package, it came with regular hubs, brakes and aero wheels.
But in all seriousness... If you get someone to make CF wheels for you post em up!! I’d love to see them!!

yep, figured that one out quickly.

problem still stands, no aero wheel option for new Performance Model 3's. And, factory aero wheels are still pretty heavy at 21.6 lbs (Without Aero Cover), 23 lbs (With Aero Cover)

still wish someone made a forged lightweight 19 or 18 that fit over Performance calipers and had an optional carbon aero cover. That would be the jam'

Big reveal coming from my end...soon! Different wheels for sure (hint, it's J-spec and forged). I just finished drilling them out from M12 to M14 - it's actually a lot easier (and much less concerning) than most people make it. I simply bought a (rather expensive) 5/8" reamer, attached it to a standard drill, and went away at it. Took about 45 mins for the first wheel and a whopping 10 mins each wheel thereafter once I realized there was no harm to be done. Greased it up to no end during each "ream" but it leaves a nice smooth finish inside. Just waiting on proper hub rings and lock nuts to come in by mail and then I'll swap tires on to mount on the car. Oh, and also have T-sportline springs that just came in last week awaiting for me to install them onto the car. Hopefully the springs go on this weekend!

Enough with the supply/demand talk about carbon rims. Let's see some pics!! I'll start...

Can finally post up my reveal. WedsSport SA20R rims (20x9.5 et38) with 3mm [F] / 5mm [R] spacers. Looks like I have a bit of room to go 5/10mm spacers; just need to find 10mm spacers that fit M14 studs. Wrapped in the OEM Michelin PS4S tires in 235/35R20 variant. Bit of a stretched look but I've always like stretch on "rounder" bodied cars. Car is also (freshly) lowered on T-Sportline springs (1.0" F / 1.2" R). Vinyl wrap and tint details in my signature.

As I mentioned before, I had to drill (ream) out the wheels from an M12 stud fitment to fit onto our M14 studs. I chose these because (1) they're sub-23 lbs each (vs 28-ish lbs on the OEM 20s); and (2) no one else has done Weds (that I know of anyway) on any Model 3s yet!

Anyway, onto the photos (impromptu phone camera photoshoot on my way home from picking up the car from the shop):
IMG_20190612_203820.jpg

IMG_20190612_203923.jpg

IMG_20190612_184710.jpg

Last edited:
Enough with the supply/demand talk about carbon rims. Let's see some pics!! I'll start...

Can finally post up my reveal. WedsSport SA20R rims (20x9.5 et38) with 3mm [F] / 5mm [R] spacers. Looks like I have a bit of room to go 5/10mm spacers; just need to find 10mm spacers that fit M14 studs. Wrapped in the OEM Michelin PS4S tires in 235/35R20 variant. Bit of a stretched look but I've always like stretch on "rounder" bodied cars. Car is also (freshly) lowered on T-Sportline springs (1.0" F / 1.2" R). Vinyl wrap and tint details in my signature.

As I mentioned before, I had to drill (ream) out the wheels from an M12 stud fitment to fit onto our M14 studs. I chose these because (1) they're sub-23 lbs each (vs 28-ish lbs on the OEM 20s); and (2) no one else has done Weds (that I know of anyway) on any Model 3s yet!

Anyway, onto the photos (impromptu phone camera photoshoot on my way home from picking up the car from the shop):
View attachment 418716

View attachment 418717

View attachment 418720

Does look fantastic. The OEM tires look a little bit better on a 9 or a 9 and 1/2 inch rim then the stock eight and a half. One really nice thing about your 9.5 inch rims is that it opens up the option for the 265/30 - 20 Pilot Sport 4S Tire

yeah i'm gonna call bs on that one. first off the M3 performance has different hubs, and secondly there's no option on the ordering page to order them without the 20's. post up some pics of those Aero's covering your Performance calipers.

I'd happily be wrong here. Truly. I'd be stoked if the factory Aero's fit over the Model 3 Performance brakes, and then mated with the larger hub. Maybe if you used a spacer / had the wheels milled out to fit the larger hubs.

oh and how do you explain the link in your signature to "DIY painted calipers". which showed your non Performance model calipers pre and post paint job. nice.

The hubs are not larger. And they're not stronger either I'm not sure where you got those ideas. The hubs are identical the only difference is the thinner rotor hat on the performance brakes that exposes about a 3 mm lip that's on all the hubs but it's covered up by the thicker rotor hats on the non-performance brake cars. If you go to aftermarket type rotors (RB or MPP) which have thicker aluminum hats to save weight and allow you to replace the discs and keep the hats, you will obviate that 3 mm lip. But the hubs are the same.

so everyone seems to go with pilot sport 4s, i understand they are the best but what something thats still a great tire for us who arent taking corners at top speed or tracking but want new rubber for a 20" staggerd setup for summertime?

Your best source for this is to take a look at the max performance Tire category user surveys on the tirerack website. Any tire survey that has more than a hundred ratings probably is pretty accurate in terms of describing the functional pluses and minuses of that tire. The Pilot Sport 4S is the highest rated Max performance Street Tire in Tire Rack history. And just nudges out the previous leader the Super Sport. But you can see there's some other highly rated tires.

82B567DD-E976-48FC-B6FC-C68D7D9788AC.jpeg
My not so aftermarket wheels, that I can put the aero cover if needed...but yesterday’s 200 mile trip from Tahoe to east bay I got 182 wH/mile ( with AC @ 74 and 90-104 out side temps) which is only minimally up from 175 that I normally get in winter (on Nokia’s R3) with aero cover

• Love
Reactions: P-Lo801
back to mid 200s. this tire is top of its class but seems to be the only in its class? ultra high performance summer vs pilots which are max summer...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...0FK510XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

falken azenis fk510s... good?

They appear to get pretty good press including being favorably compared as a value alternative to the Michelin pilot sport 4S. So yes I would say if you want to save some money they are really looking like a viable choice.

Reactions: Burrito