Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cih9xsl.jpg

QXVxMIB.jpg

EtIKpsu

After the springs settled and with 5mm spacers on the rear.
Tsv 19"s ?

What extended studs and spacers are you using? Car looks awesome. And I agree, there's nothing wrong with spacers to achieve a perfect fitment on a square setup, even with aftermarket wheels.
They are Dorman 610-490. Perfect replacement for the stock studs. They are pretty long though, so if you're using closed lug nuts you might have to replace them as well for longer ones or open ones. My spacers were custom made as I couldn't find any with the exact dimensions I wanted. They were made to fit these wheels as I didn't want to use plastic hub rings and with the 8mm front spacers it wouldn't have been possible to go with the same hub size as stock.

And thank you!

• Informative
Reactions: pdx_m3s
Trying to decide on which wheel color.

Would love some input. Grey or Satin Black.

19" Tsportline TSS

My 21' LR3 is Red over white with tinted windows.. including pics of Red 3's wearing Grey and Satin Black.
I'm Sticking with 19"s so I can just swap my tires and don't want to lose range with 20"s.. though I do think 20"s would look better.

Screenshot_20210809-092013_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210809-092005_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210809-092023_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210809-092134_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210809-092013_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210809-092013_Gallery.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 472
  • Screenshot_20210809-091951_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210809-091951_Gallery.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
As I type this I am having Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (TO) mounted on Martian Wheels 18x7.5. The tires are 235/45. I will post my impressions in a few days. I do some city driving, a lot of highway driving, and a fair amount of West Virginia twisty roads. My goal is decent range and protection against DC potholes with a little bit of sportiness thrown in. Wish me luck.
This is my second update. The first one had more detail about the set up. I am basically interested in whether I made the right decision to go with 7.5 inch wide wheels instead of the OE 8.5 so that is what I was trying to discern in my driving.

After about 700 miles I am overall happy with the decision but there are some issues some of you may be interested in. Regarding efficiency, I haven't noticed much difference (I went from 231 wh/mi to 239 wh/mi) but that could be attributed to greater AC use in the hotter weather. Comfort is as good if not better than the OE set up. The car is certainly quieter which I did not expect. In regular driving the road feel is very good and anything like curving West Virginia roads or cloverleafs can be taken at a somewhat higher rate of speed with good road feel and predictive steering.

Getting to higher speeds, say around 80 percent of my/car ability things start to change. There is certainly more capability but what I would call "wiggliness" starts to show up. Definitely by 90 percent I start to feel like I have to pay more attention and make steering corrections. I would never have had to make these kinds of corrections in the Lotus and the BMW 3 was better planted. Its not something that gives me concern its more of a level of attention I have to give. I could imagine that one a track I could make some overcorrection that might get me in trouble. Since I don't plan to track the car I don't worry about it.

In sum, I think the 7.5 decision was right for 65 year old me. If this were 45 year old me I would think I that a wider wheel would be the way to go. If it sounds like a compromise then I guess that's what it is.

This is my second update. The first one had more detail about the set up. I am basically interested in whether I made the right decision to go with 7.5 inch wide wheels instead of the OE 8.5 so that is what I was trying to discern in my driving.

After about 700 miles I am overall happy with the decision but there are some issues some of you may be interested in. Regarding efficiency, I haven't noticed much difference (I went from 231 wh/mi to 239 wh/mi) but that could be attributed to greater AC use in the hotter weather. Comfort is as good if not better than the OE set up. The car is certainly quieter which I did not expect. In regular driving the road feel is very good and anything like curving West Virginia roads or cloverleafs can be taken at a somewhat higher rate of speed with good road feel and predictive steering.

Getting to higher speeds, say around 80 percent of my/car ability things start to change. There is certainly more capability but what I would call "wiggliness" starts to show up. Definitely by 90 percent I start to feel like I have to pay more attention and make steering corrections. I would never have had to make these kinds of corrections in the Lotus and the BMW 3 was better planted. Its not something that gives me concern its more of a level of attention I have to give. I could imagine that one a track I could make some overcorrection that might get me in trouble. Since I don't plan to track the car I don't worry about it.

In sum, I think the 7.5 decision was right for 65 year old me. If this were 45 year old me I would think I that a wider wheel would be the way to go. If it sounds like a compromise then I guess that's what it is.
One other thing. I think they look great and I have gotten compliments. Pushing the wheels out just a tad with the +20 offset makes up for the smaller width.

I am coming from a 2015 Porsche Cayman S, which had stock 20" wheels. Working with the Porsche track guys, I shaved 4 seconds a lap at Laguna Seca going to a 18" wheel with same Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S. Why? I suspect aerodynamic efficiency was in play with a smaller wheel, and because the weight was down. After a suspension upgrade, I got even faster through corners faster.

Now I am enjoying more torque in my 2021 Model 3 Performance.

But after watching this video by Engineering Explained here, one can gain theoretical range by up to 15% with JUST the aerodynamic efficiency of a 18" wheel versus the OEM 20" that comes on the M3 Performance.

The EE video does not calculate or consider the efficiency of a tire (rolling resistance) nor the weight of the smaller wheel setup.

So, I am posting here to see what is the REAL WORLD experience of other Model 3 Performance owners who have gone from the stock 20" wheels to an 18" wheel, not for looks, but for actual gain in range, comfort, and/or performance.

What is your experience with range, comfort, and/or performance? Would you do it again?

Looking for REAL experience rather than theory. If posting, please include your wheel specs and setup. And any suspension changes that may contribute to your experience. Excited to hear your results!

I am coming from a 2015 Porsche Cayman S, which had stock 20" wheels. Working with the Porsche track guys, I shaved 4 seconds a lap at Laguna Seca going to a 18" wheel with same Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S. Why? I suspect aerodynamic efficiency was in play with a smaller wheel, and because the weight was down. After a suspension upgrade, I got even faster through corners faster.

But after watching this video by Engineering Explained here, one can gain theoretical range by up to 15% with JUST the aerodynamic efficiency of a 18" wheel versus the OEM 20" that comes on the M3 Performance.

The EE video does not calculate or consider the efficiency of a tire (rolling resistance) nor the weight of the smaller wheel setup.

So, I am posting here to see what is the REAL WORLD experience of other Model 3 Performance owners who have gone from the stock 20" wheels to an 18" wheel, not for looks, but for actual gain in range, comfort, and/or performance.

What is your experience with range, comfort, and/or performance? Would you do it again?

Looking for REAL experience rather than theory. If posting, please include your wheel specs and setup. And any suspension changes that may contribute to your experience. Excited to hear your results!
There have been some real world, well controlled tests of the aero wheels. I want to say they achieved a 4-5% efficiency gain. Search around on google and YouTube and you should be able to find them.

Edit: actually I believe the 4-5% was just cover on vs off (same 18” wheel). I can’t recall a test compared to the 20” wheel, but it’s likely out there.

This hasn't been updated, but it should give you a good baseline for range based on the factory wheels and tires:

getting a m3p soon and been trying to figure out what needs to be done to install these jdm aftermarket wheels whether it be volks, ssr, enkei, etc. were these folks installed with anything specific like spacers?
A lot of Japanese wheels are equipped with M12 lug holes.

We have a good database of Japanese wheels that will work.

1628815347467.jpeg

We also started to offer M14 lug boring at an additional cost on Japanese wheels sourced through us.
Please message me if you just want to run something by or have any other questions, I'll be happy to help!

Danny

A lot of Japanese wheels are equipped with M12 lug holes.

We have a good database of Japanese wheels that will work.

View attachment 695883

We also started to offer M14 lug boring at an additional cost on Japanese wheels sourced through us.
Please message me if you just want to run something by or have any other questions, I'll be happy to help!

Danny
How much front (negative) camber is that car running? Looks like a lot for the street, unless it’s an optical illusion.