Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheels Too Expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, don't knock my BBS wheels... Even if they do require centering rings. šŸ™ƒ
Not knocking. Cost aside forged BBS wheels are my absolute favorites on the market. There's a reason I know how much the FI-R cost. I'm just too poor. šŸ˜…

I would not, however, settle for eBay coilovers on my M3P!

Oh for the days of picking up a $440 set of used good condition forged BBS wheels to use as winter wheels (for my last ICE car)...yeah not happening for the Model 3, especially not in 2022.

Last edited:
@Zcd1 I think you're being overly harsh on centering rings. I'm with you on preferring a direct fitment, but I think it's worth being practical about it.

Personally, if I can find wheels I like at a price I like that are a direct fit - then I am going with those wheels. And that's what I did!

But if I really liked a certain style or providence or got a great deal or whatever, on a wheel that's just what I want except with too large a center bore...I don't see why that should be a showstopper. Do I *want* to use centering rights or mess with "lug-centric" mounting? Nope. But I'll be practical about it. E.g. if I get a winter setup for this car anytime soon, there's a good chance it'll involve centering rings (based on my current top choice of winter wheel for this car).

The Model 3 is not a perfect car, no car is, it's okay to have wheels that aren't 100% dotted-i's, crossed-t's perfect. (Says me with some curbing on my wheels...)

Spacers are another story (aside from minimal stuff like 3mm "step delete" spacers). I'm not going into ups-and-downs there, that's well trodden, I'll just say that even if all you care about are aesthetics, you should still avoid spacers and have all your offset come from the wheel itself. ;) (But I'm running stock offset 18x8.5" wheels on my M3P so maybe you shouldn't take aesthetic advice from me! šŸ˜„)

Iā€™m sorry - did you have a point to make?
You don't get to say this:
Iā€™ve had zero trouble finding wheels that I like to fit my cars, and have never needed centering or any other type of rings.
While running spacers. Which are just much, much more important and critical and hacky versions of "rings." You are being hypocritical, telling people not to buy cars with wheels "made to fit their car" and then you are going out and buying spacers, which only exist to adapt wheels to a car that they don't fit.

You are being hypocritical, telling people not to buy cars with wheels "made to fit their car".

You have no idea what you're talking about. My wheels fit my car just fine without spacers - see my sig pic.

If I choose to install spacers to change the looks, that's my call, and I understand the possible pitfalls.

But there are SO many wheels out there with the proper bore that I'd never consider anything WITHOUT the proper bore.

Like I've said multiple times, YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCM3
But there are SO many wheels out there with the proper bore that I'd never consider anything WITHOUT the proper bore.

That's a perfectly suitable statement to make, but I think everyone got riled up because you started with, "Personally, I'd stay FAR away from any wheel that required a centering ring...."

Without qualifying that it's just your personal preference, you made it sound like there was a safety/installation issue if someone were to install aftermarket wheels with centering rings (which is not the case).

Last edited:
My wheels fit my car just fine without spacers
Wheels with larger center bores fit just fine without hubcentric rings too. They're just slightly harder to install.
You're one of the people that thinks the center bore carries some of the load while driving, aren't you?

There are SO many wheels with a +20mm offset out there that I'd never consider ANYTHING without the correct offset, given the possible pitfalls.

Like I've said multiple times, YMMV.
This doesn't mean what you think it does. You can't say "The way I see it, it's silly to buy wheels that aren't made in a version that fits your car." - and then YMMV. YMMV works when you indicate something that can be measured, but varies. You know, like fuel economy. It would work in this case if you said "I ran hub rings, but they always melted and were a pain to get off." That would be an experience where someone else may have a different one. In your case here, you are just stating your opinion that is not based on experience, so it's impossible for someone to have a different experience.

Your use of YMMV also creates a dismissive attitude of "well, it's unsafe, but you do you" when you have no actual evidence it's unsafe nor have you indicated in any way why hubcentric rings are an issue. Large center bores are actually a good thing for aftermarket wheels as they increase the possible future fitments when you go to sell them.

Subaru or VW?
Subaru WRX STI

BBS has done forged OEM wheels for a lot of cars I think. My friend has OEM forged BBS on his Saab. Which didn't come on his particular car, but they were an original option.

My STI came with 18x8.5" Enkei's cause I got a cheap stripper model. The Enkei's looked great too though and I trusted their quality so I stuck with them for summer+track, and picked up previous-gen STI BBS 17x8" wheels for my snow setup. Older STI BBS wheels were practically oozing out of Craigslist back then (not sure if they're still so easy and cheap).

Reactions: CreoUCLA
Subaru WRX STI

BBS has done forged OEM wheels for a lot of cars I think. My friend has OEM forged BBS on his Saab. Which didn't come on his particular car, but they were an original option.

My STI came with 18x8.5" Enkei's cause I got a cheap stripper model. The Enkei's looked great too though and I trusted their quality so I stuck with them for summer+track, and picked up previous-gen STI BBS 17x8" wheels for my snow setup. Older STI BBS wheels were practically oozing out of Craigslist back then (not sure if they're still so easy and cheap).

Yep, BBS does. I owned several Subarus, which is why I guessed that might be the case... šŸ˜Š

popcorn.gif

Yep, BBS does. I owned several Subarus, which is why I guessed that might be the case... šŸ˜Š

@CreoUCLA Before the STI hatchback my gateway Subaru was a Legacy 2.5GT 5MT wagon. Basically WRX drivetrain with a slightly bigger turbo. Great car, too soft to call sporty pe se but it was perfect for snow trips, road trips, and daily driving. What I really wanted all along was an Evo or STI though, but I couldn't deal with sedans without folding rear seats. So when Subaru came out with the STI hatch, followed by me doing my first track day in that LGT, I realized it was STI time!

If Subaru comes out with a quad motor STI like they've been hinting at, I'm there...

Reactions: CreoUCLA
@CreoUCLA Before the STI hatchback my gateway Subaru was a Legacy 2.5GT 5MT wagon. Basically WRX drivetrain with a slightly bigger turbo. Great car, too soft to call sporty pe se but it was perfect for snow trips, road trips, and daily driving. What I really wanted all along was an Evo or STI though, but I couldn't deal with sedans without folding rear seats. So when Subaru came out with the STI hatch, followed by me doing my first track day in that LGT, I realized it was STI time!

If Subaru comes out with a quad motor STI like they've been hinting at, I'm there...

The 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT spec.B 5MT was actually my favorite Subaru I owned. I felt it was the best blend of looks, daily driving, and performance (I also installed an 18G turbo + TMIC + tune, Cusco Zero-2 coilovers, 18" BBS RE wheels, etc.)... But I should have probably waited another year (2007) and picked it up with the 6MT instead. šŸ˜‹

• Love
Reactions: tm1v2