Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed this and wanted to share so that others who might be considering could see it. I love how it looks and feels. Super high quality (actually all internals are OEM Tesla) and has the heating element.

Model 3/Y Yoke

Happy to answer any questions if you have any! Install took about an hour.

Attachments

• 0607F6DF-9675-41BB-986F-7E13226FFA26.jpeg
    0607F6DF-9675-41BB-986F-7E13226FFA26.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 3,167
  • 28BFF41C-904A-4F19-875E-0B54F7B2E241.jpeg
    28BFF41C-904A-4F19-875E-0B54F7B2E241.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 903
  • 142C87DB-4F4E-470B-AA53-2A6DF498B3AC.jpeg
    142C87DB-4F4E-470B-AA53-2A6DF498B3AC.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 875
I think it’s cool and wanted to get one, but read somewhere that the airbag relies on the upper part of the OEM steering wheel for support when activated. Using one of these could allow the airbag to collapse over the top of the yolk in an accident.

Not sure how true it is though…

If that is true, I wonder how they got around that problem with the S?

Reactions: akidesir
I think it’s cool and wanted to get one, but read somewhere that the airbag relies on the upper part of the OEM steering wheel for support when activated. Using one of these could allow the airbag to collapse over the top of the yolk in an accident.

Not sure how true it is though…

Consider this… The yoke steering wheel that comes standard in the Model S does not have the upper section. I think Tesla has already determined that an airbag does not need an upper section on the steering wheel to deploy properly and provide the intended protection for the driver. If you’re curious, just search for airbag deployment/crash test Model S with yoke, and you may find some answers…

OP, that’s a nice looking yoke. I almost pulled the trigger on that same one, but ended up ordering this slightly different model/variant from the same company (Aroham).

76929394-7E06-4A50-ABD6-2F34DE7808C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Consider this… The yoke steering wheel that comes standard in the Model S does not have the upper section. I think Tesla has already determined that an airbag does not need an upper section on the steering wheel to deploy properly and provide the intended protection for the driver.
Sure, but they also could have redesigned the airbag or it’s positioning in the Model S.

Reactions: JohnnyEV
A couple of questions as I'm considering the same yoke upgrade.
  1. Did you compare your Aroham yoke steering with Hansshow's yoke steering? If yes, I'm curious why you went with Aroham?
  2. Is the quality of the right/left scroll buttons the same as OEM? Do you notice cheaper plastics being used compared to OEM, or perhaps a different feel on the scroll?
  3. Have you tried the steering wheel heating element with your yoke? Does it work as promised?
  4. Can you try out the airbag functionality for us and report back? (j/k) ;)