Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@GreenHokie Ahhhhhh, you got an “A” wheel core type, and not B type. Our US cars are “B” type. Will post what Homie sent me shortly, via Edit to this thread.
Hey @jebinc. I’m not sure what the differences are between “A” and “B” type cores. However, I can confirm the core I received is an exact match and perfect fit in every way to my OEM steering wheel core.

This was actually one of the easiest mods I’ve done to the vehicle. It was truly plug-n-play for me.
Since I transferred everything from my OEM wheel to this yoke, everything works properly. Super happy!!

I’ve not had a chance to take it (Beefcake) out for a spin, but will certainly do so tomorrow. Can’t wait!!!

Reactions: jebinc
Hey @jebinc. I’m not sure what the differences are between “A” and “B” type cores. However, I can confirm the core I received is an exact match and perfect fit in every way to my OEM steering wheel core.

This was actually one of the easiest mods I’ve done to the vehicle. It was truly plug-n-play for me.
Since I transferred everything from my OEM wheel to this yoke, everything works properly. Super happy!!

I’ve not had a chance to take it (Beefcake) out for a spin, but will certainly do so tomorrow. Can’t wait!!!
@GreenHokie Congrats! Mine went on the same, although I had a B core and received a B yoke, fortunately. I sent pictures that show the differences. I took my time with the whole project, including the custom wood dash insert to match the Plaid!

@GreenHokie Congrats! Mine went on the same, although I had a B core and received a B yoke, fortunately. I sent pictures that show the differences. I took my time with the whole project, including the custom wood dash insert to match the Plaid!
Thanks @jebinc. Out of curiosity, what are the differences between the A and B cores?
Also, do you think it is possible that these differences exist only if you have a 2021 Y or 3?

My M3 is a 2019. So perhaps A and B are physically the same for that particular model year???….

@GreenHokie Wow, that was the quickest install ever! 😅 I took about two hours total (start to finish) making sure the heater harness Connector swap was perfect. Homie is sending me a harness to put on my OEM wheel, so both will be “plug and play”.
I kid you not, it took me less than 30 minutes to do everything. I give all the credit the various YouTubers who posted instructions on how to remove/install an aftermarket steering wheel. Those instructions made it super easy/quick for me. It also helps that I’m pretty good/handy with this kind of stuff…

I kid you not, it took me less than 30 minutes to do everything. I give all the credit the various YouTubers who posted instructions on how to remove/install an aftermarket steering wheel. Those instructions made it super easy/quick for me. It also helps that I’m pretty good/handy with this kind of stuff…
@GreenHokie A good hour of my time was getting to the 12v battery. My new Y has Biodefense mode and a large HEPA system to remove and replace. Many bolts and screws on that.

@GreenHokie The harness will restore your OEM wheel for when you eventually sell your 3 for a Plaid! You did cut off the connector from your original wheel, right?
Understood. No wires were cut/harmed during the procedure/installation. 🤣

When I transferred the top frame from the OEM core to new yoke core, everything (including the wiring harness) is conveniently contained within (& stays with) that top frame piece… and, that top frame simply pops right into place on the new yoke. Super easy.

I can’t speak for any of the newer 3’s or Y’s with the heated OEM steering wheel (and extra wiring harness). But for my model year, it is literally plug-n-play.

So, if I ever do end up selling my vehicle, I can simply transfer everything back to and re-install the OEM steering wheel. Now that I’ve done this once, the next time will take less than 20 minutes!! 😎

Understood. No wires were cut/harmed during the procedure/installation. 🤣

When I transferred the top frame from the OEM core to new yoke core, everything (including the wiring harness) is conveniently contained within (& stays with) that top frame piece… and, that top frame simply pops right into place on the new yoke. Super easy.

I can’t speak for any of the newer 3’s or Y’s with the heated OEM steering wheel (and extra wiring harness). But for my model year, it is literally plug-n-play.

So, if I ever do end up selling my vehicle, I can simply transfer everything back to and re-install the OEM steering wheel. Now that I’ve done this once, the next time will take less than 20 minutes!! 😎
@GreenHokie Ah, right, your 3 doesn’t have a heated wheel. I did the same, transferred the guts. The only difference is that I have a heated OEM wheel and yoke. So, the only way to transfer the heat was to reuse the OEMs heating element connector on the yoke. Glad Komie will now be installing this heating element connector on the yoke from their factory.

Reactions: GreenHokie
Ive been known to be that as well! HAHA!

Question, for all...

Any pic of this new harness and how it attaches etc? Perhaps im confused, and I didnt run through all posts so pardon if its answered. Just want to fully understand the heated wheel install prior to ordering.
@Jaenonymous Just ask Homie or whomever your order from to attach the heating element connector before shipping, so it's plug and play. I know Homie will send you pictures (actually, message them to you on the AliExpress site) of your actual yoke before shipping it, to make sure it meets with your satisfaction.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
@Jaenonymous Just ask Homie or whomever your order from to attach the heating element connector before shipping, so it's plug and play. I know Homie will send you pictures (actually, message them to you on the AliExpress site) of your actual yoke before shipping it, to make sure it meets with your satisfaction.
@Jaenonymous This is the connector in question, that you want installed prior to shipping. Send them the picture, after ordering, via message seller on AliExpress

c1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: JaeTheDev
I am surprised no one has mentioned the most compelling reason (perhaps the only reason, at all) to install the yoke to replace a stock steering wheel. The weight! Obviously, the yoke is lighter, but by how much? Anyone weigh them to compare?
I am hoping to get some decent additional range out of this mod.
One thing I would like to add though, would be buttons on the tops of the tips/horns of the yoke. You know, for firing weapons or other additional functionality.
great thread, thanks for posting the screen caps and pics of your experiences!