Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a yoke that I will install very soon BUT...

before I install, does anyone know the torque ft lbs on the bolt that holds the yoke in place?

This measurement was in a post above: Torqued the center bolt to 80N/m. I'm afraid I do not know what 80N/m means

before I install, does anyone know the torque ft lbs on the bolt that holds the yoke in place?

This measurement was in a post above: Torqued the center bolt to 80N/m. I'm afraid I do not know what 80N/m means

you use the older imperial units in the USA for some reason. Probably a good idea to get used to newtonmeters as that is SI.

Your torque wrench(es) doesn't have both scales? Is it a decent one, and one that's in good calibration because it hasn't been sitting at 150 lb-ft in a tool chest for 5 years?

I ask because this is one of those fasteners where you want to be pretty precise (and certainly if you wanted to reverse it).

Your torque wrench(es) doesn't have both scales? Is it a decent one, and one that's in good calibration because it hasn't been sitting at 150 lb-ft in a tool chest for 5 years?

I ask because this is one of those fasteners where you want to be pretty precise (and certainly if you wanted to reverse it).

I do not have a torque wrench. I will use my neighbors who uses his every once in awhile

The torque measurement that I mentioned was posted by other yoke installers and what I have discovered is the torque measurement is proprietary and Tesla does not give out that information making the posted measurement by others just a guess.

So, I'll try and match the stress taking it off the wheel to putting the yoke on.

Another question:
I have watched professionals on YouTube swap out for their customers and they DID NOT disconnect either the 12 volt or main battery. All they did was power down from the screen.

What's your thought on not disconnecting?

For those following my post on the torque specs, unfortunately, no one knows what the torque specs are for this bolt, except Tesla, and they aren't sharing.
I used to wrench on race bikes for over a decade and anything over 80N/m (60ft/lb) felt like overkill. Last thing you want to do is strip or break this bolt by over tightening.
Do what you think is right. Use 90 ft/lbs if you think that's better?

I do not have a torque wrench. I will use my neighbors who uses his every once in awhile

The torque measurement that I mentioned was posted by other yoke installers and what I have discovered is the torque measurement is proprietary and Tesla does not give out that information making the posted measurement by others just a guess.

So, I'll try and match the stress taking it off the wheel to putting the yoke on.

Another question:
I have watched professionals on YouTube swap out for their customers and they DID NOT disconnect either the 12 volt or main battaries. All they did was power done from the screen.

What's your thought on not disconnection?
I didn't disconnect the battery either. No issues.

For those following my post on the torque specs, unfortunately, no one knows what the torque specs are for this bolt, except Tesla, and they aren't sharing.
I used to wrench on race bikes for over a decade and anything over 80N/m (60ft/lb) felt like overkill. Last thing you want to do is strip or break this bolt by over tightening.

I agree. I'm going to make it snug but not go overboard

Did you use a torque wrench and if so, what measurement did you use?

I thank you. Then that is where I will go.

Getting ready to do it. A little nervous
Did you get all the internals with your steering Yoke, or do you need to take them out of your original steering wheel?
I highly recommend following what YouTubers did, that changed out the internals. There are some tricky sections to follow, so you don't break anything. And I hope you have a torx 20 and 25 bit.

Did you get all the internals with your steering Yoke, or do you need to take them out of your original steering wheel?
I highly recommend following what YouTubers did, that changed out the internals. There are some tricky sections to follow, so you don't break anything. And I hope you have a torx 20 and 25 bit.

My yoke is install ready. It came that way. No transfer of parts needed.

Yes, the torque is as you stated.

I started the process and started by putting small, long allen wrenches in the two holes. Could not feel the "release spring" and tried moving the wrench in the hole to detect the release spring. Couldn't find it. I got really nervous about it. So, I quit for the day to build up nerve again.

-----------------------------

I now have two small flathead screwdrivers and practicing with the yoke to see what's going on and feeling more comfortable about it.

I'll retry later on

Last edited:
My yoke is install ready. It came that way. No transfer of parts needed.

Yes, the torque is as you stated.

I started the process and started by putting small, long allen wrenches in the two holes. Could not feel the "release spring" and tried moving the wrench in the hole to detect the release spring. Couldn't find it. I got really nervous about it. So, I quit for the day to build up nerve again.
Use 4 and 5mm T-Handle Allen keys. Insert straight, then pull your hands towards you, as you feel the ends of the keys hit the release spring and the base plate. You can't hurt anything here. Just push until it pops out.

Use 4 and 5mm T-Handle Allen keys. Insert straight, then pull your hands towards you, as you feel the ends of the keys hit the release spring and the base plate. You can't hurt anything here. Just push until it pops out.

Excellent, thanks

I think you might like this...

Early this morning I texted Abstract Ocean. That's where I got the yoke and thought they should know the torque measurement. They didn't and thought that was a great question. They did research today and found the answer in a Tesla engineering manual. They sent it to me and here it is...

Yoke Torque.jpg