Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent, thanks

I think you might like this...

Early this morning I texted Abstract Ocean. That's where I got the yoke and thought they should know the torque measurement. They didn't and thought that was a great question. They did research today and found the answer in a Tesla engineering manual. They sent it to me and here it is...

View attachment 766431
LOL. Good guess on my part!

That's a TTY fastener? Do they supply a new one with the yoke?
Not sure what you mean

This is the only other item that came with the yoke

tool.jpg

Now I know what you are talking about, the bolt, correct? No, they didn't

Good because I have one 4m T Allen. I just got back from Lowe's and they didn't. There, one it is. I'll give it a try today again OR maybe tomorrow when I get my un-nervousness back.

I'll let you know if I can get it accomplished.

You've been a great help.
Give it a go. Seriously, there is nothing you can mess up just pushing the T-Handle Allen in there. You'll feel the resistance when you hit the release metal band, then press in a bit further. You'll feel the pop band pop off. Then do the other side.
All you are doing is releasing the horn, so even if you can only get one side, it won't prevent you from driving the car OR from using the horn.
You can do it!

Not sure what you mean

TTY is Torque To Yield, basically the bolt is designed to permanently stretch and supply X amount of force, and generally those bolts should not be reused because they can lose clamping force or lose integrity and shear off with less than the originally spec'ed lb-ft.

I don't know of anyone that supplies a new bolt with a Yoke steering wheel. There is no need to put a new one on, IMO.
The OEM one does not come with preset locktite or anything like that. I could understand if there was a CRUSH washer, then that would need to be replaced, but the bolt?

There's a lot of TTY bolts on cars that suggest not to reuse, but sure, I've done it a few times :) I was just noting what was indicated as a 'Tesla engineering manual' where it mentioned to discard.

I DID IT

I REALY DID IT

Once I unplugged both battery connections, I felt bolden. When all was back together, the screen came on and ever thing looks good.

I going to back out of the garage and take it for a drive to make sure all's working :)
Great job Jim! I knew you could. You'll need to reposition the Yoke to sit higher than the normal wheel, and turning is going to feel weird.
But, I personally prefer the yoke. I won't be going back to a normal steering wheel.

How is the driving experience with a steering yoke? I am planning to get one for my Model 3 but I am still having second thoughts. Is it easy to navigate? I have read that there's some confusion with the wheel buttons. Can anyone tell me their experience with the steering yoke?

How is the driving experience with a steering yoke? I am planning to get one for my Model 3 but I am still having second thoughts. Is it easy to navigate? I have read that there's some confusion with the wheel buttons. Can anyone tell me their experience with the steering yoke?
Personally, it is more comfortable than the traditional wheel but the in-between / transitions need to be re-learned.
Driving on the highway: hands resting on the bottom.
In town: hands at 9-3