Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Again, FSD...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please tell me how do I know if my FSD is activated? I opted in and my score is 99. It has been for a while.
IMG_04711.jpg

I presume you're talking about FSD Beta, and that you've already paid for the regular FSD.

First off: You'll get a notice that there's a download available.

Second: After the download and install, you'll see, on the Autopilot screen in the car, a new option: To turn on the city streets Beta software. Followed by unmistakable, deathly serious warnings that you have to "OK" your way through in order to use the thing. This will include turning on various forms of information collection.

Third: The whole Driving Score stuff Goes Away. No more scores. You're in.

You're in the queue. If they invite you you'll get a software update on your car. Then that screen will change and you'll see a toggle for FSD Beta to be enabled.
And just to add for the OP. It is not technically a "queue" (by definition). OP, in other words it is not first come first served. People getting into the wait list after you might actually get FSD before you. :cool:

Reactions: Dewg
I presume you're talking about FSD Beta, and that you've already paid for the regular FSD.

Second: After the download and install, you'll see, on the Autopilot screen in the car, a new option: To turn on the city streets Beta software. Followed by unmistakable, deathly serious warnings that you have to "OK" your way through in order to use the thing. This will include turning on various forms of information collection.

Thanks a lot, now I know, cross the fingers and wait!

I am so glad that the score thing goes away, I think it is more dangerous than safe.

I am so glad that the score thing goes away, I think it is more dangerous than safe.
If you ever get Tesla insurance then it will be back. Also that is a common human bias to interpret something that tends to "inconvenience" them as being less safe. Of course the objective facts are that adhering to a higher Safety Score reduces the overall chances of accidents. Actuary tables and insurance pricing are 100% proof of this.

Reactions: nvx1977
So, the deal with this.. I got into the Beta program with a Safety Score of 93. Which, according to most of the posts around this place, would have disqualified me.

When I first signed up for the Beta in fall of 2021, I really tried to get that 100 score. But I live in New Jersey, home of a zillion cars and Congestion. And there's a tongue-in-cheek about a high percentage of the Other Drivers around here being nuts. I would get Forward Collision Warnings (FCW's) for cars zipping past me, pulling into my lane, and, even with No Possibility Of Hitting Them, the FCW would go off anyway. Mergers with two lanes moving left into five lanes with everybody crawling along would make those FCWs appear two times out of ten. Leaving the car in FSD mode and trying to get it to make the lane changes would keep FCW's from appearing, but, as a self-driving car in those situations, it felt very dangerous. What with the car stopping in traffic while it tried to wait for an opening on the left as a random example. The car would also object if, when at a side street intersecting with a busy six-lane (three each direction) road, one would want to accelerate and turn; and that was enough to trigger the Aggressive Driving fault. Finally, the FCW can be overly sensitive: I've had a number of times when a car, 50 yards ahead on a 2-lane local road, brake to turn right; even though I was nowhere near the blame other car, the FCW would go off. And excessive braking faults: All one needs is a light going yellow: Brake slowly enough to keep the Braking fault from going off, and one ends up in the intersection.

It's possible to drive like a granny and, in non-congested areas, probably get that 100 score without too much trouble. But it's serious work and, well, can be scary.

At one point, I was at 97, trying for 98, and had three or four of these various warnings on the way home from work one day, killing the safety score for the month. I got mad, turned off everything, got out of the queue, and, for the next few days drove the car like it deserved to be driven, and my stress level dropped lots. Eventually I relented and turned normal FSD back on.

And then Musk more-or-less pleaded for people to sign up for the FSD-b at an earnings call early this year. OK, I do want the full FSD to appear. But I was damned if I was going to let the car get ahead of itself in stupid situations. Turned on the request for the Beta, but swore I would drive like a normal person, not pay particular attention to the safety score (checked it, maybe, once a week), and drove normally, Used FSD where it made sense, didn't use it where it didn't, and didn't sweat those turn-and-accelerate corners and $RANDOM FCWs.

Naturally, minimum scores dipped down into the mid-80's, high scores up in the high 90's, average around 93. And you could've knocked me over with a feather when, after five or so weeks of this, the FSD-b showed up,

Now, having said all that: Be very, very careful what you wish for. No question: FSD-b will do wrong thing at the wrong time, at random. Telsa says that, literally, in the release notes. Run a red light? Sure. Jerk its way around corners? Uh-huh. End up in the left-turn lane when one wants to go straight? All the time. Do random things that will scare the bejeezus out of passengers, with good reason? You betcha. It will also, occasionally, handle ten or fifteen miles at a stretch, doing turns and all as it chugs along. But, given the proclivity of doing flat-out dangerous things at random, there is not any time when one should relax and take one's grip off the wheel.

What you're doing in the Beta program is testing the software for the engineers back at Tesla. With the eventual goal of them creating a full FSD variant down the road. Don't go into the FSD-b program unless that's precisely what you want to do, warts and all: And, no question, you will see warts. There's this little picture of a video camera that appears on the screen when the Beta is installed and running. The idea is to hit it every time the car does something stupid/dangerous. On average, I hit that button anywhere between 5 and 20 times on a 20 mile commute, no joke. By the by: Don't trust those YouTube videos. Yup, you can do some driving around for some distance. But those YouTube guys cheat and don't show when things go pear-shaped.

If you just want to get between points A and B with a car that does lanekeeping and TACC, then stick with the FSD, non-beta. As I started off this rant: Be very careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Denglehenjiule