Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AGL’s “Night Saver Energy Plan”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reasonable Use Policy applies to the AGL plan

Reasonable use policy

If AGL reasonably forms the view that the electricity consumed under this Energy Plan at the Supply Address between the hours of 12 am and 6 am is excessive, unreasonable or for a purpose other than for personal or household consumption, we may end your plan with prior written notice to you and your electricity supply will continue under a Standard Retail Contract.

Reasonable Use Policy applies to the AGL plan

That’s presumably to catch folk who run hydroponic farms for purely medicinal purposes… of course…

But charging multiple EVs and using your PW2 to arbitrage grid rates should be perfectly fine. That’s all “personal or household consumption” and frankly, they should be encouraging people with batteries to store offpeak electricity to use later the following day and reduce pressure on the grid. They should send you a “thank you“ card for doing so, saves them making the investment.

Damn, the only plan I am getting from OVO is only with demand charges... no way to go that route :( so once I got my PW2 installed over the next few weeks it'll be AGL - as much as I prefer smaller guys this seems to be the one for now. My spreadsheet says it is more or less on par with my current Powershop plan, but ability to charge overnight when there is a bad weather spell is something I can't ignore.

After a painfully long phone call I finally have the tariffs for Sydney (Ausgrid).

I need a new smart meter first but apparently TOU is the only option, this is no good as fixed tariff is far better for me with limited time shifting possible.
Interestingly their website suggests 'Night Saver' on fixed tariff is possible, go figure...

Here are the rates:
Daily supply: 98c
Peak (2-8pm weekdays): 57.2c/kWh
Shoulder 7am-2pm + 8-12pm weekdays & 7am-10pm weekends): 29.25c/kWh
Off peak (10pm-7am): 22.18c/kWh
Controlled load: 17.6c/kWh

Super off peak (12-6am - replace off peak for this plan): 8c/kWh

Are there any Ausgrid users out there still on fixed tariff with 'Night Saver' who can share their rates?

Anyone on the similar OVO plan in Ausgrid on a fixed tariff?

Interestingly their website suggests 'Night Saver' on fixed tariff is possible
From their website: "If you’re on a single rate tariff you can sign up to our Night Saver EV plan, provided you have a digital smart meter. You’ll get the Night Saver EV rate from 12am-6am and keep a single General Usage rate at all other times of the day"

I am on a single tariff with this plan. I have a smart meter, as all Victorian households were forced into smart meters some years ago.

I would personally resist being bluffed into accepting a TOU plan unless your energy usage circumstances make such a plan favourable for you. I don't think it would be favourable for me.

EDIT: from their website:
You need a digital meter (also known as smart meter, interval meter or comms meter) to sign up to the Night Saver EV plan so we can accurately measure how much energy you use during the overnight off-peak EV charging period. For more information on digital meters and installations, visit Electricity or gas meter upgrades and removals.

If you don’t have one, you can arrange to have one installed and in most cases it’s free and will take around 15 business days.

Last edited:
I would personally resist being bluffed into accepting a TOU plan unless your energy usage circumstances make such a plan favourable for you. I don't think it would be favourable for me.
Some distributors already have their flat rate tariffs closed, meaning you can't move to it.

Long term, cost reflective tariffs like TOU or demand are going to become universal, for the simple reason that everyone using power at the same time makes it more expensive for everyone. Yes, you can't really change when you use power to cook dinner - but you surely can change when you run your dishwasher, washing machine or pool pump.

Reactions: B3AU
At the moment I am on single rate with a smart meter, and I want to keep it that way as long as possible. I am on Ausgrid in NSW and not sure how it is applied - and no desire to find out on my own skin :)
Ahh. Ausgrid is fairly complex - the demand window is 2pm - 8pm working weekdays from September through May, and 5pm - 9pm working weekdays June through August. April, May, September and October are "low season" which has a lower demand charge on some tariffs. So charging the car outside those times won't ping you for the demand charge.

Anyway the reason I ask is that the quid-pro-quo for demand tariffs is that the consumption charges are lower. In theory a home battery puts you in the best position to take advantage of that, because you can use the battery to shave your peak demand, though I don't know if the PW2 gives you enough control in practice to do that. It'd be ideal if there was a mode where you could say "use the battery to keep my peak demand low in these hours".

The Powerwall 2 has the software to do just what you hope.

You set it for maximum cost saving, enter the times for the various tarrifs during the week and on weekend, and enter the costs. It does allow for seasonal changes. If you have solar panels you can enter your feed-in tarrif too.

I have mine also set to allow charging from the grid.

The system then looks at your energy consumption patterns and a projection of solar production from the past day or too.

Having gathered all that data it will operate itself to make sure it is always full for whenever the really expensive peak period is. If it is winter or cloudy or solar production is otherwise rubbish it will charge itself from the grid to make up for any projected shortfall. For me I can see it charging from the grid in my really cheap periods to avoid importing power during the poisonously expensive periods.

It is surprisingly good. I’ll post some example screenshots from the app

IMG_1190.png

IMG_1191.png

IMG_1192.png

You can see my car charging, Powerwall filling, and the dishwasher & washing machine running in the middle of the night.

You can see none of my energy demand has come from the grid in the peak time.

You can see that the system wasn’t expecting quite so much solar during that day, so power went to the grid during the day that could have gone to the battery instead. The difference in cost (import price vs FiT) was a disastrous 21 cents total.

The battery saved me about $1.20 in the peak time.

My PW2 is just over 5 years old and I haven’t measured any meaningful degradation of capacity. There will have been some, but I have not been as diligent as some at analysing its performance.

I expect it to be still performing satisfactorily well past the ten year warranty period.

Reactions: Vostok
Yeah I'm aware of those settings for the PW2, but it's just basic time-of-use, right? The optimum way to handle demand tariff windows is a bit different.
Ah. I didn’t understand what you were referring to.

You are quite right, it doesn’t collect prices in real time.

It would be the case when they’re running a virtual power plant, but then that data would be collected and managed centrally, rather than on individual devices.

Having access to that function as an individual would be very handy. You‘d be running your own VPP. If not at a profit, then certainly at a much lower cost and so a much better effective return on the cost of the battery.

There would he a lot of value in that software.

Ah. I didn’t understand what you were referring to.

You are quite right, it doesn’t collect prices in real time.
It's not about real-time prices - demand tariffs work on the basis of a charge based on the highest half-hourly demand during the applicable window for the entire month. So the value of a kW from the battery at the highest demand half-hour in the month is going to be a lot higher than any other kW.

If anyone is interested in my rates on this plan, Vic, Ausnet:

Peak c/kWh 38.962
Off peak c/kWh 22.66
Night Saver EV charge c/kWh 8
Feed-in tariff# c/kWh excl GST. 60
Supply charge c/day 104.676

Rates are exactly the same for the plan I was already on excluding the night rate. They are pretty good for my area.

It's not about real-time prices - demand tariffs work on the basis of a charge based on the highest half-hourly demand during the applicable window for the entire month. So the value of a kW from the battery at the highest demand half-hour in the month is going to be a lot higher than any other kW.
Had no idea about that. How would you measure and react to it?

Had no idea about that. How would you measure and react to it?
That's exactly why I think they're not a great idea. I can see why distributors like them - they reflect the costs the customer is imposing on the network pretty well, but they're too difficult for even quite savvy customers to relate back to the way they use energy. They're just not actionable enough for the end-user.

(Though, relevant to this discussion, software on a house battery could do so - it'd be quite easy for the battery to do something like "try to keep half-hourly demand in the peak window below 2kW")