Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AI Addict - Tesla Driver Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder how much dan paid this guy, considering it's the exact same child dummy from his tests. Gotta make sure we blend the clothing color into the background. He also constantly says "we."

We met with the DOJ and Attorney General last week and told them about this film.

This ex-tesla employee really seems to want to try and make a name for himself.

Also from the comments since it's not disclosed in the video anywhere even though he frames the shots to hide it and states "nothing in the drivers seat":

To perform this test we added a 2 pound weight to the steering wheel and a 30 pound weight to the seat.

EDIT:

Even easier to link the two lmao.

ai.png
dan.png

Last edited:
That's some crazy stuff. Of course that's the goal. O'Dowd found a person with an axe to grind.

I guess it isn't much different than the endless utube/twitter(X) boobs kissing EM's butt and pretending FSD is the bomb.

Last edited:
Even LA times shared it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Some staggering stats in that article reportedly from NHTSA. On the other hand, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

He notes that since 2021, at least 23 people have died in crashes involving Autopilot or Full Self-Driving systems. That tally comes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which also reports 840 Autopilot/FSD-related crashes over the same period.

Some staggering stats in that article reportedly from NHTSA
If that data is from the NHTSA Standing General Order on Crash Reporting, then LA Times speculating that Autopilot was involved in a fatality will increase those statistics so that they can write article suggesting that FSD is causing deaths even when Autopilot wasn't even available.

For example the Gainesville speculation -> "human error" shows up as one of the 23 "Highest Injury Severity Alleged = Fatality" entries, and of the 8 possible reporting sources, several of these have a single mark for "Source - Media."

Reactions: kabin and flutas
People have different agendas for sure and some are weirder than others. Here they bypassed the torque check, which is questionable.

However, I challenge you to reproduce this in a Mercedes. Or, for that matter, in any car with functional driver monitoring - which would be most modern cars (GM, Ford, Volvo etc) with ADAS excluding Tesla.

Colin Barndem, who follows the driver monitoring market for Semicast Research in London, said he ranks Tesla’s system “as the worst driver monitor system on the market. Last place … with no infrared illumination, it’s as close as possible to useless.”

Then we have the performance of FSDb, which is a separate issue. Clearly not there yet, nor anywhere close.

Clearly Tesla should step up their game if they don't want to be worst in class and hence an easy target for smears. They would also score a lot higher in ADAS-tests, that include DMS testing like CR does.

The question is: Why don't they?

I'm concerned it's because they think it sends the wrong message marketing-wise. Why are Tesla investing in DMS when they will be autonomous in 6-12 months? The cabin camera wasn't there for DMS, remember Autonomy Day 2019 or whenever it was. It's there for robotaxi passenger monitoring (sic!). Here we are with an FSDb that most likely won't be Level 4 autonomous ever on current hardware. And every other level of automation requires a great DMS to be safe.

Last edited:
This was clearly a hatchet job.

My suspicion is that the person who’s channel this is just trying to make a name for themselves and get lots of publicity.

I am somewhat certain that Tesla assumes that people aren’t going to do ludicrous things while driving their vehicles… in other words, Tesla assumes a fixed set of variables that a normal use of the vehicle will allow them to determine outcomes for.

Reactions: flutas
Regardless of who made or funded the video, the content is what matters. Are they lying? I don't believe so.
Considering he's an ex-safety driver for FSD...I assume he knows the limitations of the system from working with it and knows how to game it to cause stuff like this.

There's no way to know what he did to the system either, in the video he says "nothing in the drivers seat" and then in the comments admits they had to put a weight in the seat.

If I were him I'd be careful, this feels like something Tesla could easily sue over if he signed an NDA while working with them since the knowledge to do this most likely comes from his internal knowledge.

Sorry to be a blind dumdum but ...the message on the screen, what is it saying? It's too blurry for me to read.
They don't have a payment method for supercharging, nothing major but it makes it easier to link the cars as the same one.

My understanding is that he was a labeler, not a safety driver.
From CNBC back when he was fired

He was dismissed in the second week of February this year, after having moved into the role of advanced driver assistance systems test operator, according to records he shared with CNBC.

People have different agendas for sure and some are weirder than others. Here they bypassed the torque check, which is questionable.

However, I challenge you to reproduce this in a Mercedes. Or, for that matter, in any car with functional driver monitoring - which would be most modern cars (GM, Ford, Volvo etc) with ADAS excluding Tesla.

Colin Barndem, who follows the driver monitoring market for Semicast Research in London, said he ranks Tesla’s system “as the worst driver monitor system on the market. Last place … with no infrared illumination, it’s as close as possible to useless.”

Then we have the performance of FSDb, which is a separate issue. Clearly not there yet, nor anywhere close.

Clearly Tesla should step up their game if they don't want to be worst in class and hence an easy target for smears. They would also score a lot higher in ADAS-tests, that include DMS testing like CR does.

The question is: Why don't they?

I'm concerned it's because they think it sends the wrong message marketing-wise. Why are Tesla investing in DMS when they will be autonomous in 6-12 months? The cabin camera wasn't there for DMS, remember Autonomy Day 2019 or whenever it was. It's there for robotaxi passenger monitoring (sic!). Here we are with an FSDb that most likely won't be Level 4 autonomous ever on current hardware. And every other level of automation requires a great DMS to be safe.
I recall Tesla added torque weight detect logic so apparently that is, at best, another work-in-progress. The team needs a parent in the room.

Reactions: spacecoin

Sounds like this guy also doesn't know what he's talking about.

They didn't have infrared at the start, but Tesla's 100% have infrared for the DMS on all models since ~aug 2021.

1691168553009.png