Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air intake filter - yes or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Farmogo works very well and doesn’t restrict. I also have the after market full water deflector under the frunk hood that doesn’t allow water to get to the air intake.
Farmogo after 6 months! Glad I have it and glad I just changed it out. All that crud would have been in my lower filters.
I put the white box next to the old filter to compare the color white it should be.
IMG_1983.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: retbesla
my old bmw 3er has a intake filter. dont know why tesla designed the ventilation like this. if load on the fan motor is a concern, whats the draw back of removing the hepa filter (dont need double filtering i suppose)

There is a screen where the intake air passes through the firewall. Debris does accumulate there and needs to be occasionally cleaned out. It is a lot easier and more effective to have the screen at the top of the duct though. Since my post #14 in this thread, I've also added some minimally restrictive filtering material from Home Depot trimmed to lay on top of my homemade screen. (Web 4 in. x 12 in. Vent Filters (12-Pack) WVENT)

The filtering material after 13 months:

prefilter-dirty.jpg

The filtering material after 13 months:

View attachment 971710
that doesnt look minimally restrictive to me though... so you are running a fairly fine cabin type air filter over the intake and then run it again through the cabin air filter... that's a lot of work for the blower... in the HVAC world the easiest way to burn out your system is to use overly restrictive filters with a MERV rating above what your unit can handle...

that doesnt look minimally restrictive to me though... so you are running a fairly fine cabin type air filter over the intake and then run it again through the cabin air filter... that's a lot of work for the blower... in the HVAC world the easiest way to burn out your system is to use overly restrictive filters with a MERV rating above what your unit can handle...

It is this from Home Depot. It was the least restrictive I could find. They didn't even bother to give it a MERV rating.
vent_filters.jpg