Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 S Air Filter (Under Hood)15"x15" Element Part Number ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 21 Plaid has of course the same issue. The smell goes away after about a minute. I removed the HEPA and it didn't smell to bad but soaked it with a vinegar/water mix and its now sitting in the sun. When it's dry, I'll spray some Lysol to get rid of the vinegar smell ha! Looks like I will be doing the shower dam as well. I just ordered the sock from Filter Wears. By the way, I found a 10% off code for them, its "bimmerpost10". Hey, 10% is better than nothing heh.

My car will be at Tesla on the 22nd for a parking sensor replacement. I just sent them a message about a possible replacement under warranty. I'm not expecting a "sure thing" but it's worth a shot. I will report back.

So my 21 Plaid has of course the same issue. The smell goes away after about a minute. I removed the HEPA and it didn't smell to bad but soaked it with a vinegar/water mix and its now sitting in the sun. When it's dry, I'll spray some Lysol to get rid of the vinegar smell ha! Looks like I will be doing the shower dam as well. I just ordered the sock from Filter Wears. By the way, I found a 10% off code for them, its "bimmerpost10". Hey, 10% is better than nothing heh.

My car will be at Tesla on the 22nd for a parking sensor replacement. I just sent them a message about a possible replacement under warranty. I'm not expecting a "sure thing" but it's worth a shot. I will report back.
funny. i just went in for a parking sensor replacement too. not covered under warranty due to damage from debris. i also tried to make a claim for the smelly ac and that was also denied. quotes 288 for hepa replacement. no thanks

funny. i just went in for a parking sensor replacement too. not covered under warranty due to damage from debris. i also tried to make a claim for the smelly ac and that was also denied. quotes 288 for hepa replacement. no thanks
Ya, they did tell me that if the sensor had even a rock chip on it then it wouldn't be covered. They had my car a week and just got it back yesterday. I explained the error was intermittent. They drive it 2 miles and said they couldn't duplicate it. Soon as I pulled out onto the street, the error popped up. Turned around and walked back in. They were able to pull the files and said it was sensor S8 so back in it goes on the 22. Not expecting a warranty replacement for the HEPA filter and housing but it's worth a shot. I'm not going to pay for it either so hopefully the sitting in the sun in vinegar will help with the sock. If not, I'll get a new filter and be done.

Ya, they did tell me that if the sensor had even a rock chip on it then it wouldn't be covered. They had my car a week and just got it back yesterday. I explained the error was intermittent. They drive it 2 miles and said they couldn't duplicate it. Soon as I pulled out onto the street, the error popped up. Turned around and walked back in. They were able to pull the files and said it was sensor S8 so back in it goes on the 22. Not expecting a warranty replacement for the HEPA filter and housing but it's worth a shot. I'm not going to pay for it either so hopefully the sitting in the sun in vinegar will help with the sock. If not, I'll get a new filter and be done.
try driving the car around for a few days with just the filter wears installed. that’s what i’m doing and i have zero smells. i’m really considering just not putting a hepa back at all.

So my 21 Plaid has of course the same issue. The smell goes away after about a minute. I removed the HEPA and it didn't smell to bad but soaked it with a vinegar/water mix and its now sitting in the sun.
RussZTT : so just to confirm (and sorry for the obvious question) your 2021 Plaid actually HAS a HEPA filter under the hood ? I ask because I toddled over to Tesla yesterday and they tried....they really tried to find the part number for the 2021+ Palladium HEPA filter and I was told after the searching that the car did NOT have one. Just double checking before I open everything up this week to pull out the (not there) HEPA filter up front.

RussZTT : so just to confirm (and sorry for the obvious question) your 2021 Plaid actually HAS a HEPA filter under the hood ? I ask because I toddled over to Tesla yesterday and they tried....they really tried to find the part number for the 2021+ Palladium HEPA filter and I was told after the searching that the car did NOT have one. Just double checking before I open everything up this week to pull out the (not there) HEPA filter up front.
Yes. I took it out and cleaned it but ended up talking to Tesla and they agreed to replaced the housing to the new one along with the filter under warranty.

Reactions: Proppilot
there’s a revised housing?

Yes. But only the front “door” part changed. There’s no need to replace the back half which is a lot of work - changing the door is about 10 seconds.

The Tesla parts catalog only lists the entire housing+filter - it does not show “just” the filter, hence the confusion about whether the car has one or not … all Palladiums do.

Yes. But only the front “door” part changed. There’s no need to replace the back half which is a lot of work - changing the door is about 10 seconds.

The Tesla parts catalog only lists the entire housing+filter - it does not show “just” the filter, hence the confusion about whether the car has one or not … all Palladiums do.
I appreciate the confirmation. Is there a p/n for JUST the filter ? I thought it was the one I attached but seems not to be

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 9.37.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 9.37.36 AM.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 8
There was your post about soaking the HEPA in Vinegar and water so I was looking to see if anyone had done anything different to 'restore' or refresh the existing HEPA considering new ones are marginally unobtainium.
My apologies, wasn't meant to be mean. The thread shows alot of information. I did try the vinegar but it didn't work. I had to then deal with the vinegar smell so I didn't know which was worse ha! Tesla ended up replacing the HEPA filter and the new housing all under warranty. I also purchased the sock to go over it for future possible soaking issues.I also installed a new cabin filter. Doing this the small is completely gone.

My apologies, wasn't meant to be mean. The thread shows alot of information. I did try the vinegar but it didn't work. I had to then deal with the vinegar smell so I didn't know which was worse ha! Tesla ended up replacing the HEPA filter and the new housing all under warranty. I also purchased the sock to go over it for future possible soaking issues.I also installed a new cabin filter. Doing this the small is completely gone.
No worries. I was looking for other solutions as I was concerned the one you posted would do exactly that. I did end up getting the sock and also a new cabinet filter and am going to take a run at Tesla to replace my HEPA as well. I have read about people spraying a bleach/water mix on them etc etc but I think in the end, if it is mildewy (not a word) it is toast.

has anyone tried removing the HEPA filter completely and just relying on the inside cabin filter? i'd imagine that it would just run like any other ac system out there without the biodefense mode? maybe running the filterwears prefilter plus the inside cabin filter would suffice?
If you take out the 15x15 HEPA you will get straight unfiltered air right into your cabin. On Non Recirc (fresh air), it goes right into the cabin, and on Recirc, the little cabin filter is then used.

Got it fixed. Tesla is aware of the issue, but the service department needs to be specifically informed. I let them know that there is an issue with the OEM HEPA filter housing and that the new upgraded one is part number 170575-00-C. They replaced it with the new housing and a new HEPA filter. I also replaced the cabin filter (not under warranty) and did notice that it had a slight smell to it. To be extra cautious, I purchased a sock from Filter Wears. It doesn't restrict airflow but keeps water out. Many people use these to cover their K&N filters. I also put weatherstripping above the vent to prevent water from going directly into the vents. It might be overkill, but I don't want to go through that again. So far, the bad smell is 100% gone.

Attachments

• 20240403_142154.jpg
    20240403_142154.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240404_154230.jpg
    20240404_154230.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240404_154338.jpg
    20240404_154338.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240404_182235.jpg
    20240404_182235.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 5
No worries. I was looking for other solutions as I was concerned the one you posted would do exactly that. I did end up getting the sock and also a new cabinet filter and am going to take a run at Tesla to replace my HEPA as well. I have read about people spraying a bleach/water mix on them etc etc but I think in the end, if it is mildewy (not a word) it is toast.
Posted an update :)