Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airbag Issue and Mystery Passenger - Thoughts????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to post a Youtube video to show the issue I am having and would appreciate any thoughts on how to fix the airbag issue that is presenting in the modelX. Totally weird situation, sensor says airbag off, but indicator lights suggest there is a person in the seat..... had this vehicle for 5 weeks, and maybe I am just missing something....

I had this in my S - in the S there is a wiring harness under the seat that had been bent accidentally (my daughter's softball had rolled underneath when my wife raised the seat and when the next passenger lowered it bent the harness.

that's my bet - if the X is the same it is a simple fix.

For what it’s worth, most (maybe all) modern cars have weight sensors on the passenger seat to determine if there is an occupant that, depending on the amount of weight detected, have three options.

If there is no weight detected at all, then it knows there is no one in the seat and the airbag is off, but the airbag and seatbelt indicator lights are also off.

If a small amount of weight is detected, then the airbag is still turned off, but the seatbelt indicator light is on. In this case you also get the airbag off indicator light. It does this because the airbag can be dangerous for very small children. This seems to be the way your car is acting.

If a larger amount of weight is detected, then the airbag is on and the seatbelt indicator light is on as well.

It certainly seems like your weight sensor is erroneously detecting a small amount of weight on the seat. This can also happen if you put a bag or something on the seat that’s heavy enough to trip the weight sensor, but not heavy enough to get it to the third level.

I had to post a Youtube video to show the issue I am having and would appreciate any thoughts on how to fix the airbag issue that is presenting in the modelX. Totally weird situation, sensor says airbag off, but indicator lights suggest there is a person in the seat..... had this vehicle for 5 weeks, and maybe I am just missing something....
I am experiencing the same situation. Any updates on a solution?

I don't currently have speakers on my computer, so I couldn't listen to your video, but AFAICT from thumbnails across the bottom, you never pointed the camera at the MCU, and you never switched to the car display that indicates whether or not someone is in a seat. If I am wrong about either of those points, then what I'm about to say may not apply, but AFAIK, the airbag indicator in the dash means there is a problem with the supplemental restraint system and you should contact service to get it repaired. OTOH, when a passenger airbag is disabled due to the weight sensor, that is reflected in the MCU using something like "Passenger Airbag Off" text. You can see this if you buckle your passenger seatbelt with no weight in it. That having been said, I am colorblind, and the indicator in your dash doesn't appear to be the same color as the trouble indicator, so it may be a different indicator than the one I am talking about (if one exists that I've never noticed). If it is (presumably) red in spite of how it looks to me in the video, you have a safety problem that should be addressed by service (unless @GOPJEW post above resolved your issue).

I don't currently have speakers on my computer, so I couldn't listen to your video, but AFAICT from thumbnails across the bottom, you never pointed the camera at the MCU, and you never switched to the car display that indicates whether or not someone is in a seat. If I am wrong about either of those points, then what I'm about to say may not apply, but AFAIK, the airbag indicator in the dash means there is a problem with the supplemental restraint system and you should contact service to get it repaired. OTOH, when a passenger airbag is disabled due to the weight sensor, that is reflected in the MCU using something like "Passenger Airbag Off" text. You can see this if you buckle your passenger seatbelt with no weight in it. That having been said, I am colorblind, and the indicator in your dash doesn't appear to be the same color as the trouble indicator, so it may be a different indicator than the one I am talking about (if one exists that I've never noticed). If it is (presumably) red in spite of how it looks to me in the video, you have a safety problem that should be addressed by service (unless @GOPJEW post above resolved your issue).
My issue was resolved when they took the softball out from under the seat...it no longer would force the wiring harness to stress...but that harness under the seat can be a source of a problem...I took it right in and I hope the OP did too..