Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CNBC is doing a bit of crypto coverage. They literally have some 35 year old tool wearing a black hoodie with airbuds on as "the expert". It's friggin hilarious.

This guy clear wears khakis to bed by choice!
the mistake here is looking at CNBC. most people who turn put it on use it for the data stream and mute the sound. there are few competent people at CNBC. it is almost like the academia analogy. if they were any good at playing the markets, they'd focus on playing the markets not talking about them.

They need to make sure its faster then the Tesla version or has some other huge advantage. And then market the heck out of it.
i.e. they need PR as an underdog.

I disagree. It merely needs to be close enough in specs, attractive, and different than what everyone else has. Once you are a viable alternative, not screwing up for a few product generations will put you in the lead.

So if its roughly equivalent to a Tesla, why would you buy it from a "unknown brand"?
Just to be different?
Spending $100K+ on a new brand is brave, even for people with the money.
Personally I prefer the look of the Lucid but I would wait 6 months or so see how the rollout goes.

So if its roughly equivalent to a Tesla, why would you buy it from a "unknown brand"?
Just to be different?
Personally I prefer the look of the Lucid but I would wait 6 months or so see how the rollout goes.
why would you buy a lucid over a tesla? because it is a better made vehicle, it has superior interiors, it has superior range, it is less costly. there are many reasons that the lucid is attractive to some people.

why would you buy a lucid over a tesla? because it is a better made vehicle, it has superior interiors, it has superior range, it is less costly. there are many reasons that the lucid is attractive to some people.
The Lucid Air seems appealing because there are no customers who have bought one to point out the faults. It's a shining theoretical car.

Just to be different?
Here in California there's a whole community of people who are early adopters as almost a public service. People who buy from startups as a way to support local startups. Rich people who made their own money from a startup, plus celebrities, politicians, and prominent business leaders. Tesla had lots of famous early adopters too (Arnold Schwarzenegger, George Clooney, Gavin Newsom).

(This is actually the California pitch: Move your startup to California and famous people will buy your product. Taxes? Who cares, your startup doesn't make money yet anyway.)

I mean, is version 1.0 of the Lucid Air really going to be better than a Tesla with almost a decade of refinements? People here in Silicon Valley are going to buy Lucids because they don't want Tesla to be a monopoly and they don't have faith in the traditional automakers. Most of the professional early adopters have early adopted other stuff and know full well that version 1.0 is gonna have flaws.

imagine if the original tesla owners shared this view. SMH.

The original Tesla owners wanted a product that was otherwise unavailable in the market at any price. At this point in time, more than a decade later, Lucid is going to face a _lot_ of competition from both Tesla and the legacy automakers.

I was over at Valley Fair mall in San Jose last week for something else, and spent a few moments at the Lucid storefront looking at the Air prototype that was on display. Wasn't allowed to touch or sit in it though due to COVID. Did look nice, and the purported 500+ mile range seems enticing for road trips. Frunk is huge. After removing the false floor, Bjorn should easily be able to get two banana boxes in it. Front seats looked well bolstered. Very roomy rear seat area. The car has four zone climate control, and there is a display for rear seat passengers to control their two zones. Did not like the look of the vegan interior at all. I'd definitely go for dead animal skins. Also not interested in being an early adopter with a manufacturer that has never built a car before. At least Tesla had Lotus help them build the original Roadsters.

There is a Polestar storefront at the mall too. They had two cars on display, but I didn't have time to stop in. I'm much less interested in it though.

The original Tesla owners wanted a product that was otherwise unavailable in the market at any price. At this point in time, more than a decade later, Lucid is going to face a _lot_ of competition from both Tesla and the legacy automakers.

There are a lot more people willing to buy an $80k+ BEV today than in 2008.

The CCS fast charging network didn't exist in 2008.

I prefer to support a pure BEV startup than a legacy OEM.

I prefer leather to vinyl. Not alone.

It's not that the market is irrational. It's just inherently hard to value a pre-revenue startup. They have to be valued based on a wild guess of what they could be rather than what they are. That number is going to jump around based on whatever news or rumor is going around.

FWIW, I don't think being "Apple's manufacturing partner" is an especially high margin business. I personally wouldn't run out and buy a stock based on such a rumor.

Leather beats old school vinyl, sure. But given equal properties and durability, I'd pick a synthetic material over animal skin. I sure as heck wouldn't pay extra just for the bragging rights of having a dead animal under my butt.

I have never bragged about having leather seats. Not once. Ever.

I purchase cars with leather seats because I like how it feels against my skin. And secondly because of the way they look.

Better than vinyl. Old formulation or new formulation.

I have never bragged about having leather seats. Not once. Ever.

I purchase cars with leather seats because I like how it feels against my skin. And secondly because of the way they look.

Better than vinyl. Old formulation or new formulation.

Leather against your skin? Ew. I put up with animal skin seats in cars because they are durable and easier to clean than cloth, especially with kids. But I much prefer soft fuzzy fabric touching my skin than hot sticky leather. There's a reason people don't wear leather underwear!

Sorry I just don't get luxury car buyers' leather fetish. Tesla's synthetics are more or less the same as leather, except better for the environment. A high quality fabric would be even better (well, after my kids are old enough to stop putting shoe prints all over!)

Leather against your skin? Ew. I put up with animal skin seats in cars because they are durable and easier to clean than cloth, especially with kids. But I much prefer soft fuzzy fabric touching my skin than hot sticky leather. There's a reason people don't wear leather underwear!

Sorry I just don't get luxury car buyers' leather fetish. Tesla's synthetics are more or less the same as leather, except better for the environment. A high quality fabric would be even better (well, after my kids are old enough to stop putting shoe prints all over!)
I don't get people's aversion to leather. you don't like leather? great but nobody else really cars about your preference for vinyl or other synthetics that cause far more pollutants than leather does.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark and uujjj2