Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of QuantumScape QS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The company said it is working on so-called solid-state batteries, which are seen as the next-generation evolution of the current lithium ion batteries used in cars. They could unlock further ranges and more efficiency. Foxconn said it expects to launch a solid-state battery in 2024.

After 2025, whoever masters solid state battery technologies will dominate the industry,” Jerry Hsiao, chief product officer at Foxconn said.
”​

Interesting quote about solid state from this article.

thanks to TMC member @Aimc? ( can’t find the right spelling for this user) but his / her post about QS, inspired my decision to buy a few months back. I posted here then, and in the interests of transparency for my fellow TMC’ers I am reposting in this thread that I have since recently sold out my position.

I missed the $11-12ish bottom and the current $104+ current AH top, but truth be told; I’ve never been able to buy the bottom or sell the top with any stock.

I don’t rule out buying it again in the future, on some correction - maybe; but for now I have decided to put more into Tesla, My most recent purchase was more at 620.

My primary reason for buying was JB. I was hoping for a tightened delivery timeline or some EVTOL solid state angle. Some times I bet more on the proven jockey than the horse.

It's got to be the Apple Car rumor that sparked this. Congrats to those folks still riding this wave! I got out at $70 and put it all into TSLA.

I'm hopeful for QS and hope they're able to use this hype to get operations going quickly. I want to see EVs dominate the globe and we need all the battery innovation we can get!

In a similar situation here. I bought Dec 2021 $75 back a whole 2 weeks ago. Wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't a lot of money and seemed a good loss vs profit potential. Certainly didn't expect this.

Now looking at selling Dec 2021 $130 against those options I bought. I could double my money on that alone. And if it actually went past $130, well, that seems like a good problem to have.

However, doing something similar with TSLA back in March is how I lost out on about a half million so I'm pretty gun shy.

Selling mine for 10X and putting the proceeds into TSLA - feels super bubbly and FOMO hyped.

upload_2020-12-22_12-33-53.png
https://twitter.com/LimitingThe/status/1341288440717955073?s=20

E*TRADE now paying 313.8296% to borrow my shares... (Over 626% seems like an expensive short.)
It's a tangent, but can you give a quick example of what that means? It's 313% of...what exactly? If you loan out 100 shares, what's the money you make on that per week? As the stock price rises or falls, is that 313% on that 100 shares relative to the stock price, so loaning out $12,000 if the stock is at $120? How do you actually let them borrow the shares? I'm on Ameritrade and I don't think I've ever been notified someone is borrowing my shares.

It's a tangent, but can you give a quick example of what that means? It's 313% of...what exactly? If you loan out 100 shares, what's the money you make on that per week? As the stock price rises or falls, is that 313% on that 100 shares relative to the stock price, so loaning out $12,000 if the stock is at $120? How do you actually let them borrow the shares? I'm on Ameritrade and I don't think I've ever been notified someone is borrowing my shares.

I signed up for their FPL, Fully Paid Lending, program so that they could loan out any of the shares in my account and they pay me ~50% of what they collect for lending them. (If you are using margin they are already loaning your shares out.)

The 313% is the annual interest rate they are currently paying me. So today with the stock being priced at $120 lending 100 shares would earn me ~$103/day. (Or ~$721/week. Yes they pay for the weekend/holiday days as well.) The stock borrow fee percentage changes every day, based on demand, and the earnings are calculated daily based on the days ending stock price, and accumulated to be paid to me once a month.

Note: most stocks have plenty of supply and as such they pay less than 1%.

Given the drop this morning and thinking QS market cap and where QS is vs where TSLA was at the same market cap, I got out at around $115. The market cap is hard for me to wrap my head around. I guess they were a 2B cap four months ago. Not sure what sorts of companies to compare them to for valuation.

Heh, tried to write an at the money vertical call spread afterwards and it was rejected as "Underlying stock is hard to borrow".

Last edited:
what would be a good entry point for QS? I am thinking about selling some puts with some of my Tesla options profits, the premiums look juicy compared to Tesla puts. I am thinking December 31st or January 15s.

Fifteen dollars.

If your more bullish than I am, based on technicals, there's a bull case for buying now; wedge forming on top of a strong upward trendline.

QuantumScape Is Now the Second-Most-Valuable Car Stock In America

Whatever the reason, gains leave Quantum stock worth almost $59 billion based on the 448 million pro forma shares outstanding after the company’s merger with a SPAC. QuantumScape wasn’t immediately available to get an updated share count.

That’s more than existing battery makers LG Chem (051910.Korea), Samsung SDI(006400.Korea), and Panasonic (6752.Japan). Contemporary Amperex Technology, or CATL, (300750.China) is valued at roughly $110 billion.

Quantum market capitalization now exceeds Ford Motor (F) and General Motors (GM). Quantum’s market cap is, in fact, larger than every auto component of the Russell 3000 Index, except Tesla (TSLA).

Quantum is also worth more than Japanese auto parts giant Denso (6902.Japan) and German auto parts giant Continental (CON.Germany).

The numbers and comparisons are breathtaking. Now if we only knew why.