Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That article says NHTSA wants public comment, but didn’t include a link. Anyone know? We should all comment, as the public, that we side with the automakers on wanting to be able to have more than one sound per vehicle model (if we ever want to have user selectable sounds, which at least would make this lame feature a little more fun)

@KarenRei had a nice instructional write-up in the Investor's thread on this:

For Americans, FYI:

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Have an issue with regulations about noise makers being added to EVs? This looks like your chance to have your voice heard. Some sample points that could be made:
  • Drivers should be able to pick their sounds, and number of sound choices shouldn't be limited (this is the main thing they're seeking feedback on)
  • The same rules should be applied to quiet ICEs, not just EVs; there's no logic to EVs having noisemakers but not quiet ICEs.
  • The presence of sound should be able to be contingent on pedestrian detection, and disabled if no pedestrians are nearby.
  • Directional sound should be allowed, to limit noise pollution.
You need to write a physical letter. Don't be lazy if you care; do it this evening. Set yourself a reminder. ;) Address:

Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, West Building
Washington, DC 20590

In your letter you must reference: Docket No. NHTSA-2019-0085

The deadline is November 1, 2019.

Can someone measure the speaker grill size? I'm custom cutting some vinyl covers to decrease the sound slightly for when I receive my car. I already did a couple 4" and 5" pieces. Don't want the hassle of disconnecting since it's a lease. I can just take the vinyl off when it's time for turn in.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    853.5 KB · Views: 81
BREAKING: All Model3s built since 9/1 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed
that emits noise below 19 mph while in forward and while in reverse.
- So when you are bumper to bumper in a stop and go traffic, then you will have this alarm on?

- What the point to have a spaeker at the front when you are in reverse?
Should there also a speaker at the back instead when in reverse?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I saw on youtube and twitter where some new M3 owners have the feature and video of it going in reverse. it sounds kinda like my prev EV, a Smart car... not bad, but i kinda like mine quiet despite people walking in the parking lot unaware i'm 10 feet away. LOL I haven't seen a video of anyone going forward with the sound though.. someone said it was a little different than the reverse sound.

Reactions: APotatoGod
- So when you are bumper to bumper in a stop and go traffic, then you will have this alarm on?

- What the point to have a spaeker at the front when you are in reverse?
Should there also a speaker at the back instead when in reverse?

When you are in bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go traffic, the noise will be present, yes. Calling it an "alarm" is, well, alarmist. The nature of the sound (in terms of what it sounds like) could be compared to a jet engine or a constantly-crashing surf, but it is not loud. I literally cannot hear the 'forward' sound unless I've got my windows open, there's no other traffic, and there's a flat building fascia reflecting the sound back at me. The 'reverse' sound is definitely louder, but that's not in play in stop-and-go traffic. Or if it is, you should be making noise, because who drives backwards in stop-and-go traffic?

The speaker is aimed downward, so the sound bounces and diffuses off of the ground more or less omnidirectionally. It's perfectly audible from behind, but is not terribly obtrusive other than the "wait, where's the alien spacecraft"ness of it.

The speaker is aimed downward, so the sound bounces and diffuses off of the ground more or less omnidirectionally. It's perfectly audible from behind, but is not terribly obtrusive other than the "wait, where's the alien spacecraft"ness of it.
Shouldn't the sound be directional, though, so that pedestrians (especially sight-impaired ones) can discern from which direction the car is approaching?

Shouldn't the sound be directional, though, so that pedestrians (especially sight-impaired ones) can discern from which direction the car is approaching?
I noticed some Prius emitting this type of noise. It is especially noticeable inside a garage.
This is audible from quite a distance, but in general I cannot really find the exact provenance location.

Last edited:
On the contrary, you do not want directional sound in this case. If the sound is only audible directly behind the car, someone walking toward where the car will be would not hear it; this is highly suboptimal.

You (or, at least, I) can tell pretty readily where the sound is coming from (when it's loud enough to be heard) from the exterior of the car- which is good as that is its intended purpose.

It might be more prudent to, rather than just unplugging it, substitute an appropriate resistor so that the car's computer still thinks it's there.

You're assuming it is just a speaker. For all we know it is an integrated sound generator/amplifier/speaker that is controlled via the CAN bus. If that is the case you would have to open it up and disconnect the speaker, and add your resistor, internally.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Some may call me crazy.. but now i'm wondering whether or not mine SHOULD have it.. I mean,,, I've gotten so close to hitting people or having people walk in the middle of the lane because they don't hear any traffic behind them.. then i honk.. then they're mad at me. Wonder if they would install this for the people would like the retrofit ?