Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course, I can stop. That's my point. Always? No, not always. But that has nothing to do with the question. The question is will noisemakers prevent that. We have nothing but........oh seems like that might make some sense to support that idea. Things which seem like they might make sense have a way of often not panning out.......
Actually, any noise might be enough to stop someone from getting run over. It stands to reason that the more noise the better. Why do they put sirens on emergency vehicles? Why do people make as little noise as possible when they are trying to sneak up on someone? If you can't understand this I don't know what to tell you. It's common sense. Maybe that kid in my example would have stopped for second and looked if he/she heard a weird noise. I can't tell you how many times I've followed someone through the parking lot at work like 20' behind and they didn't notice I was there. I've had comments from people like this, "That car sneaks up on you."

The backup sound seems like overkill. But the forward one isn't really noticeable.

I agree that there's terrible bias to these laws. EVs seem to being singled out when other cars at low speed can be even quieter.

I'm fine if there's universal laws, but I don't want ICE vehicles to make this an advantage.

Reactions: APotatoGod
You are mistaken — advocates for the blind have been pushing for this rule for many years.

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Implementation of Quiet Car Regulations

If these regulations were purely about safety, then "Quiet car" would be a category determined by decibel meter and would include some sound-insulated ICE vehicles. But it doesn't. It's only regulating quiet hybrid and electric vehicles. This legislation was passed due to legitimate safety advocates backed by those supporting the oil and gas industry. Just because it will lead to more safety doesn't make it an unbiased piece of legislation.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Riiiiiiiiiiight..........because the blind are such a powerful lobbyist group. Don't screw with the blind now, if you know what's good for you. Approval by the blind is a very different thing from legislation passed because of the blind.
It isn't legislation but, rather, a regulation passed under rule-making authority established by legislation.
This regulation is the result of many years of work by dedicated members of the National Federation of the Blind who helped study this issue and advocate for an appropriate solution.

I gather that your bias is so profound that no amount of evidence that this isn't some sort of conspiracy to trash electric cars will convince you otherwise. Fine. Believe what you wish if it makes you happy. I put this information out there for others who may have an open mind on the subject. To me the noisemaker is "much ado about nothing," having driven a car with one for more than four years.

You are mistaken — advocates for the blind have been pushing for this rule for many years.

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Implementation of Quiet Car Regulations
Shame that it doesn't apply to all "quiet cars" then.

I gather that your bias is so profound that no amount of evidence that this isn't some sort of conspiracy to trash electric cars will convince you otherwise. Fine. Believe what you wish if it makes you happy. I put this information out there for others who may have an open mind on the subject. To me the noisemaker is "much ado about nothing," having driven a car with one for more than four years.
Why isn't the rule based on decibel level of the car rather than powertrain then? If this is about safety for blind people then EVERY car should have them. I'm sure blind people would appreciate a consistent sound tone/volume that says "car is coming" rather than some engine noise, some nearly silent ICE cars, some mostly silent hybrids, and EVs with various noises.

Listen, if we can show that EVs are more likely than ICE vehicles to injure pedestrians then I'm all for solutions which would level that playing field. As is we have a statistically questionable retrospective review study which suggests drivers of a Prius might be more likely to collide with pedestrians or bicycles. This is just as likely to happen over 35 mph and below 35 mph from my reading. So sure, arbitrary noise levels below 19 mph. The studies relating to the blind are fascinating, and some well done, applying that to the streets, however, is a different matter. That said I have not dedicated myself to reviewing this literature so please, feel free to change my mind..............

Some drivers might be better off with a loudspeaker and disco lights to warn the rest of us of their presence but that's a different problem and solution...........
Ok now you've got my attention. We should lobby for a law that allows us to have the seizure inducing lights that cops use so that pedestrians can be sure to see us.

How many cars that were built less than 9 days ago do you think have been delivered already?

Need to? No. (It isn't required yet.) Will they? Probably not.

My X was build 9/6 and does not have it.

My Volt was built Jan / 19 does have it. I was concerned how it would be, but it's not bad at all. It has a separate speaker for front and rear with the same sound. Sound's like something a movie would use traveling casually through space or something.

I believe that the noisemaker is intended to help the blind, who have to rely on hearing to locate cars. If someone unaware suddenly steps out in front of one's car, even an alert driver might not be able to avoid a collision.

As for EVs making enough noise at slow speeds without the noisemaker, some of us have had the experience of following a pedestrian in a parking lot who was completely unaware of our presence. Much as I prefer my quiet car, at least when the AC isn't roaring(!), I can see the point of the low-speed noisemaker.

thats not the point. the point is that ICE cars dont and many of them and in particular small engined cars and hybrids are much quieter than a tesla which makes by its behemoth nature lots of tire noise even at slow speeds.