Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rather than simply unplugging the speaker, it might be better to replace it with an 8 ohm resistor of sufficient power rating, assuming the speaker impedance is 8 ohms. Even better, install a switch to choose either having the speaker on, or the dummy load on. Hopefully the wiring for the speaker is easily accessible from under the frunk liner.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I would have thought that in litigious America, defeating a safety device would likely end in a big bill if someone came to harm because they claim they did not hear you. In UK, I think an insurance company would be within their rights to not payout for any damages directly resulting to interfering with a safety device.

I cant see the problem with it. At under 70dB it is hardly intrusive and if just one person is saved from injury, then its a worthwhile device.

Rather than simply unplugging the speaker, it might be better to replace it with an 8 ohm resistor of sufficient power rating, assuming the speaker impedance is 8 ohms. Even better, install a switch to choose either having the speaker on, or the dummy load on. Hopefully the wiring for the speaker is easily accessible from under the frunk liner.

I think that depends on if it is just a speaker, or if it actually has an amplifier/electronics along with it.

• Informative
I would have thought that in litigious America, defeating a safety device would likely end in a big bill if someone came to harm because they claim they did not hear you. In UK, I think an insurance company would be within their rights to not payout for any damages directly resulting to interfering with a safety device.

I cant see the problem with it. At under 70dB it is hardly intrusive and if just one person is saved from injury, then its a worthwhile device.

Yes, that.
I find this discussion surprising as almost all of our EVs in NZ make similar sounds; only Teslas are silent here.

The vast majority of our EVs are 2011-2016 Leafs imported used from Japan - these Jap-spec cars have always had the sounds, plus a button to disable them (self-resets to ‘enabled’).

New Hyundai models make a jet-engine sound.

The sounds for the Leaf are perhaps a little nicer as they comprise a kind of low grinding noise (like rusty brake discs) mixed with the high-pitched whine. Reverse is a chime/dinging sound.

-Alex

• Informative
Wanted to build an application for the Tesla where we can pick our favourite noise making car and have that play over the system for the people who say that the car is 2 quiet.. I guess the means are there but will Tesla open it up to developers to have some fun.

My P3D has this. It's not as annoying as I thought it would be and kinda like it. I hope they give a few different sound options to choose from in the future.

So, you're saying you can hear it in the cabin and it is annoying. Just not as annoying as you thought it would be.

By the way, regulation says that the sound can never change.

I think I'll cancel my reservation.

Not sure if serious. Most people wouldn't notice the sound without calling it out. Unless you are reversing from a garage then it echos and is more noticeable. If I have a chance I'll take a video.

For the driver, the main question is the cabin noise. If you're saying you can hear it in the cabin, then that means I would have to hear it if I drove a Tesla. And those sounds are not soothing like the rumble of a car engine. I'd rather hear the engine in my ICE car than this noise.

For those outside, it sucks that the car sounds lame instead of cool, but I might live with that. I just feel bad that I was 1 month late in ordering my vehicle to avoid this stupidity.

So yes, I am seriously thinking about cancelling over this. I can understand Tesla is being forced by the federal government to do this, but they really needed to spend some more money on a better sound - especially since the regulation prevents the sound from changing.

Maybe in another year, Tesla will figure out how to make a better sound.

• Informative
For those outside, it sucks that the car sounds lame instead of cool, but I might live with that. I just feel bad that I was 1 month late in ordering my vehicle to avoid this stupidity.

So yes, I am seriously thinking about cancelling over this. I can understand Tesla is being forced by the federal government to do this, but they really needed to spend some more money on a better sound - especially since the regulation prevents the sound from changing.

Maybe in another year, Tesla will figure out how to make a better sound.
It's a speaker. As I did with my Prius, unplug the speaker and replace it with a resistor.