Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m kinda torn. On one hand, I like the stealthiness of my model 3. On the other hand, on my Leaf, it’s kind of nice to have the sound when reversing, because it makes people pay attention and get out of the way. The Tesla is so quiet, when the a/c isn’t on, that people don’t always hear it, and they can be off in their own world, when you’re trying to back up where they’re standing.

I’m also betting they will use the speaker as a sentry mode alert, which will be nice.

I wonder if they will offer this as an optional add on for those of us with older M3s?

Does this mean that all hybrids and modern ICE cars, that are also silent except for tire crunch at low speeds, have to use a PWS also?
>Hybrids, yes

>ICE, no

"Hmmm, let me gain some speed in my Ford Ranger, gain some speed, and cut the engine in a crowded parking lot.
Ugh. These sounds should apply to ALL CARS moving(even in Neutral!) at parking lot speeds - regardless of ICE or EV. What were they thinking by singling out EV's?

Reactions: APotatoGod

Does this mean that all hybrids and modern ICE cars, that are also silent except for tire crunch at low speeds, have to use a PWS also?
>Hybrids, yes

>ICE, no

"Hmmm, let me gain some speed in my Ford Ranger, gain some speed, and cut the engine in a crowded parking lot.
Ugh. These sounds should apply to ALL CARS moving(even in Neutral!) at parking lot speeds - regardless of ICE or EV. What were they thinking by singling out EV's?

I think the assumption is that even at idle an ICE makes noise.

Someone specifically said up thread that the law prohibits changing the sound once they release the car with a specific sound. If that is true then we're stuck with whatever we're getting here unless someone figures out how to do a mod.
Electric car owners to 'choose' engine sounds

Quote from the article: “
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) says car makers may give several sound choices to owners of the "quiet cars".

Vehicles must generate the noise when travelling at less than 30 kph (19mph).

The NHTSA is also asking the public how many types of sounds cars can make, and how loud they can be.”

Here’s a somewhat more thorough article on the same topic U.S. to allow drivers to choose 'quiet car' alert sounds - Reuters
That article says NHTSA wants public comment, but didn’t include a link. Anyone know? We should all comment, as the public, that we side with the automakers on wanting to be able to have more than one sound per vehicle model (if we ever want to have user selectable sounds, which at least would make this lame feature a little more fun)

Reactions: APotatoGod