Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All new high speed charge points to accept contactless payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
The DFT has announced that they plan to force new high speed public charge points to accept contactless payment from next year.
Electric car chargepoints to accept contactless payment next year
On the face of it this is good since its a bit of a jungle out there for non Tesla chargers.
BUT
could this have implications for Tesla? I mean Tesla installs public high speed chargers that effectively require a subscription so why would they be exempt?
and would not being exempt just mean that Tesla owners could pay with a contactless card (pretty pointless) or would it force the network to be opened up to non Tesla vehicles?

The DFT has announced that they plan to force new high speed public charge points to accept contactless payment from next year.

... and BP have announced that they are retro fitting Contactless to all their pumps ... and are going to charge twice as much (as people using registered account on their APP)

could this have implications for Tesla?

I don't think so.

Can’t see how they justify higher price

"Given the overall increases in the cost of electricity we have taken the decision to amend prices for charging" ... they make mention of their capital investment too

Subscriptions are kept at lower price - so they want you to subscribe, same old same old.

For a once-in-a-bluemoon Tesla driver I don't suppose it matters to pay Petrol-equivalent price for EV Charge if that happens to be the most convenient supply

Electric car chargepoints to accept contactless payment next year
On the face of it this is good since its a bit of a jungle out there for non Tesla chargers.
BUT
could this have implications for Tesla? I mean Tesla installs public high speed chargers that effectively require a subscription so why would they be exempt?
and would not being exempt just mean that Tesla owners could pay with a contactless card (pretty pointless) or would it force the network to be opened up to non Tesla vehicles?
Superchargers are NOT public charging facilities, they are private charging facilities. That is the basis they got approval in Germany for new superchargers (they had been banned for about two years). Basically they put a sign up. Private not public.

... and BP have announced that they are retro fitting Contactless to all their pumps ... and are going to charge twice as much (as people using registered account on their APP)

I don't think so.
BP will try to push the price of electricity as high as they possibly can without pricing themselves out the market. They do want to dominate EV charging, but remember they will also be delighted if EV sales slow down because of price gouging for charging.

Yeah, this is just to simplify the current rfid/app mess. Tesla don’t have that issue
Agreed but legislation often catches things it was not supposed to. ( don't think the luxury car tax was supposed to overly penalise EV users due to the high initial purchase price either but here we are)

At the end of the day the supercharger network is nothing more than a CCS high speed charging network in public locations that you are required to have an account to use. Exactly what is being targeted so never say never. Yes you also currently need to physically have a Tesla to use it but that could change.....

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, its probably not going to happen, at least not due to this. but it is a possibility and I am sure all of the other manufacturers would just love to see one of Teslas advantages go away.

All this crap was the final factor that made me switch from waiting for my Kona and paying a bit more for the base M3...

For the odd time I want to do a long trip, I want the charger to be quick, just work, and not have to faff about with a moozillion accounts and cards.

I agree. I keep going round in circles about what long range BEV to go for and the Tesla SC network is a pretty big draw even though we will not use it very often, but when we do we will want it to be with minimal delay or fuss. Only Tesla tick that box right now.

Reactions: TestPilot
CCS high speed charging network

Although not quite (AFAIK) because the CCS plug isn't actually CCS compatible but rather just a means of adapting Tesla Model-3 to existing Tesla proprietary plug. So even if a CCS-plug car could get around the ID-handshake I don't think it could actually get a CCS-charge. So i don't think, for example, that Tesla could be told to "make their stalls available to other Brands"

@arg will know and correct me if I am wrong :)

BP Chargemaster in their press statement said:

When it comes to the cost of charging electric vehicles in the UK, government statistics show that over the past four years, the average cost of domestic electricity has risen by 16%, from 15.37p per kWh in 2015 to 17.78p per kWh in 2018.

Well I have checked the source of their figures and at first sight I can't agree with what they are saying. I'm going to have to sit down and do some calcs but just for 2018 I get a figure of 14.38p per kWh. A huge difference.

I smell a rat here....

BP Chargemaster in their press statement said:

When it comes to the cost of charging electric vehicles in the UK, government statistics show that over the past four years, the average cost of domestic electricity has risen by 16%, from 15.37p per kWh in 2015 to 17.78p per kWh in 2018.

Well I have checked the source of their figures and at first sight I can't agree with what they are saying. I'm going to have to sit down and do some calcs but just for 2018 I get a figure of 14.38p per kWh. A huge difference.

Note that their new Contactless Rate is DOUBLE the registered-user rate. Quite a hike for a 16% rise in costs !!

You will recall that BP Chargemaster said when justifying their monsterous price increase that:

OK So I have trawled through the government statistics.

The 2018 figure they quote (17.78) was a purely provisional figure. The final figure was subsequently reduced, back in March, to 17.58. Not a huge difference and instead of the overall 16% increase they quoted it works out in truth to be 15%. Nevertheless, their quoted figures are wrong.

The story doesn't end there however as statistics being statistics, that final March figure was revised yet again in June (who knew statistics was so much fun!) to 17.68

It is worth pointing out however that savvy consumers have avoided this apparent increase by switching suppliers during the period.

I shall be savvy and will now avoid BP Chargemaster and its latest unjustifiably high rip-off charges.

Reactions: Roy W.