Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Teslas inadmissible for import into Canada? (Update: US cars can now be imported to Canada - 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Transport Canada web site at TESLA MOTORS states:
Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S. Model S and Model X vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details.
There is no mention of the Model 3 there though. Plus the list of possible modifications seems pretty trivial:
Possible modifications may include: daytime running lamps configuration, electronic immobilization system [EIS], metric odometer and speedometer configuration
and all of these are obviously already implemented in software since these cars are being sold in Canada. Anyone have a clue why they are on the inadmissible list? Just outdated info, perhaps?

-Rasmus

Sadly not outdated info ... the software (mostly full time DRL's), Tesla *could* do, but the seatbelt receptacles need to have orange buttons and there needs to be a huge sticker affixed to the visors warning you not to do stupid stuff in both official languages. Plus there has to be an immobiliser installed to prevent the vehicle from moving without a key present, which also has the benefit of making summon more trouble than it is worth (and actually dangerous if the connection drops).

That's what I know about, could be more ....obviously, these are all critical safety elements whose abscence likely kills hundreds of Americans every year ...
/s

The real problem is that Tesla does not seem to want to allow this at all.

Last edited:
Sadly not outdated info ... the software (mostly full time DRL's), Tesla *could* do, but the seatbelt receptacles need to have orange buttons and there needs to be a huge sticker affixed to the visors warning you not to do stupid stuff in both official languages. Plus there has to be an immobiliser installed to prevent the vehicle from moving without a key present, which also has the benefit of making summon more trouble than it is worth (and actually dangerous if the connection drops).

That's what I know about, could be more ....obviously, these are all critical safety elements whose abscence likely kills hundreds of Americans every year ...
/s

The real problem is that Tesla does not seem to want to allow this at all.
Good points. But my Canadian MX has all white seatbelt units.
The part about immobilizer makes me think they will declare the phone the key. Otherwise advanced summon will never work. I have no idea how it works on an Model 3 right now.

Currently, 3 is not getting any mentions: not yeas or nays. On the surface, there should not be any feature that would preclude US models for Canadian registration. However, there could always be some reasons for Tesla to segment their markets... as do many other automakers...

Time will tell how things will shake our for those of us who would be contemplating a move North of 49.

Good points. But my Canadian MX has all white seatbelt units.
The part about immobilizer makes me think they will declare the phone the key. Otherwise advanced summon will never work. I have no idea how it works on an Model 3 right now.

Right now, you need the phone (for control) *and* the key in proximity to use summon with the model S in Canada; I don't know what is required for the model 3 in Canada - it would seem the phone is both, but with the "key" via Bluetooth and the control via phone data.

Isn't it usually on the importer to make any mods needed to import the car? Does Ford or Toyota help with importing their cars? I don't think so.
On the surface, all changes seem to be software driven with Tesla vehicles. Yes, if Tesla gave me access to their code, I would happily tweak them... But really is that ever going to happen?

You comment seems to be only relevant to hardware difference of which there seem to be none, with Model 3?

My Model 3 AWD (Aug 2018) came with stickers in 3 languages, plus the printed documentation is in English and French. You can now also change the UI to French Canadian now. Also the seat buckle buttons are red. (Of course you can change to kilometers and Celsius).

If an American Model 3 drives into Canada, does the summon feature start to behave like the Canadian one? I vaguely remember someone driving their American Model 3 into Canada and it started to behave differently for some features.

Even if the above is true technically Tesla however could still refuse to service them. Not sure if Transport Canada would declare it inadmissible if Tesla won't service them.
20190630_164350 (Medium).jpg 20190630_164402 (Medium).jpg 20190630_164424 (Medium).jpg 20190630_164451 (Medium).jpg 20190630_164953 (Medium).jpg 20190630_165532_2 (Medium).jpg

Isn't it usually on the importer to make any mods needed to import the car? Does Ford or Toyota help with importing their cars? I don't think so.

Actually, Ford dealers in Buffalo did use to help import into Canada. I bought a Ford back when the C$ was higher than the USD and the dealerships all knew what to do. Tesla Service Centers are busy enough without worrying about exporting/importing.

I imported 4 Toyotas 10 years ago when our dollar was in parity. Also helped friend to import a Lexus and a Bike. Import process is pretty straight forward and listed on RIV website. There were no modifications required to any vehicles as all had DRL. Only thing manufacture can deny is recall clearance and warranty service. Luckily Toyota supports both.

My Model 3 AWD (Aug 2018) came with stickers in 3 languages, plus the printed documentation is in English and French. You can now also change the UI to French Canadian now. Also the seat buckle buttons are red. (Of course you can change to kilometers and Celsius).

If an American Model 3 drives into Canada, does the summon feature start to behave like the Canadian one? I vaguely remember someone driving their American Model 3 into Canada and it started to behave differently for some features.

Even if the above is true technically Tesla however could still refuse to service them. Not sure if Transport Canada would declare it inadmissible if Tesla won't service them.
View attachment 425062 View attachment 425063 View attachment 425064 View attachment 425065 View attachment 425066 View attachment 425067

I don't know about an American Model 3 in Canada, but a Canadian Model 3 in the US still has the Canadian summon range limit - I.E you have to be standing right next to the car to summon it. I'm guessing the American Model 3 in Canada will still have the American limit, which may be one reason that its unable to be imported.

The Registrar of Imported Vehicles ( RIV ) takes it's marching papers from the manufacturer. If the manufacturer says no, then that is the rule. Another sticking point is warranty. Manufacturers allot a certain amount of warranty money to each selling region. A US car would not be warranted in Canada unless the manufacturer transfer some allocation. ( Toyota and Honda do this )

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
That article is incredibly misleading.
I agree the title is misleading to a certain extent. A better title would have been “Elon tweets that you should be able to move to another country with your Tesla” and then made clear that despite Elon’s recent tweet, right now there are many countries that do not allow you to import your Tesla if you move there.

Because of the dealer system, other car manufacturers don't want grey market cars. There are many other products that have an issue with grey market in Canada. For the consumer it doesn't matter unless you need to get warranty or repairs. Fortunately items like printers seldom require repairs. I think the big problem for Tesla here is that if the VIN is a U.S. VIN, then updates will be the U.S. update. Using this update for a "converted" car might brick your car. (Many will say this is far fetched, but Murphy's Law says otherwise.)