Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All things equal, Used car from tesla or 3rd party dealersip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking at getting a raven model S, and the specs are almost identical for the 2 cars shipped to me. Wondering given everything is the same, would you guys get it from Tesla or the dealership. Few things to note

- Dealership has had EVs before and have properly kept it charged
- The used tesla has a 4 yr warranty, but wouldn't a 2019 keep the 8 year warranty from the initial purchase? So with that makes sense to get it from the 3rd party

Also another note, can anyone clarify the EPA range and 0-60 time for a VIN KF343***. The used tesla has from the dealership has a VIN of KF313*** with an EPA of 335 and 0-60 of 4.1, and wondering if the newer one was increased.

8 years is only for battery and motor and buying used from a dealer or Tesla would not make a difference.

However, the 4 year warranty expires within 4/50 of original delivery date if buying from a dealer. But if buying from Tesla, they give you an additional 4/50 if the car is under 4 years old and less than 50k miles. Otherwise they give you 2 years up to 100k on the odometer.

So buying form Tesla is more advantageous if all else is equal.

My experience is not exactly comparable since I went for an older model but absolutely from a 3rd party. You see exactly the car you're getting in person, test it, drive it home that car.

Buying used from Tesla's used car inventory is a friggin nightmare. I think they just don't care about selling those.

Reactions: Joesage
This illustrates the frustrating absurdity of Tesla's used car sales approach. What other car dealership would expect a customer to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for a car that they are not allowed to look at, let alone drive, in advance? Crazy. It amazes me that they sell any cars this way!

So I ended up getting from a dealer. Had multiple photos/inspection (bought from out of state) and it was a new model anyway according to the VIN. Getting directly from Tesla with all these stories made me a little weary. But so excited for my dream car to be here in a week!!

Well to be fair the point of a forum is to share horror stories. Things going well aren't particularly interesting.

Good luck to you. Hope it works out well.

Well to be fair the point of a forum is to share horror stories. Things going well aren't particularly interesting.

Good luck to you. Hope it works out well.
Well if we’re being fair then not all negative stories are posted on the forum so it’s safe to say there are more of them than what you read here.
This illustrates the frustrating absurdity of Tesla's used car sales approach. What other car dealership would expect a customer to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for a car that they are not allowed to look at, let alone drive, in advance? Crazy. It amazes me that they sell any cars this way!

Unfortunately Tesla is more concerned with reaching their delivery goals each quarter that they don’t want employees wasting time selling a car that’s not going to be counted. And their cost cutting is preventing hiring the necessary staff needed to handle used car sales. Even if they were to hire the staff I’m sure those people would be reassigned to new car deliveries in order to keep setting new car sales records.

• Informative
Reactions: Sfallert
Tesla even stopped providing photos on the website of their used cars.
This annoys me so much. Tesla is a compony who prides themselves on embracing the digital age and revolutionizing the dealership model, but if I want to see a picture of a used car that's listed on their website; I hafto send them an email? That's not to mention that last time I looked the deposit for pre-owned cars wasn't refundable.

This annoys me so much. Tesla is a compony who prides themselves on embracing the digital age and revolutionizing the dealership model, but if I want to see a picture of a used car that's listed on their website; I hafto send them an email? That's not to mention that last time I looked the deposit for pre-owned cars wasn't refundable.

definitely a step backwards. Not sure what the benefit is of not having the actual photos listed on the website/having to request pics via mail