Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All things tint: tinting windshield, factory tint levels, and tinting comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a recently purchased Model X that I’d like to have tinted. So there’s a few topics I’d like to discuss and figure out.

1.) Comparison of Tints. The consensus here seems to go with the Spectra Photosync by Prestige Films. It’s been somewhat difficult to find shops that deal with that film here in the Portland, OR area. Though one shop brought my attention to a just released Plus version of Xpel’s Prime XR. There’s virtually no information of it anywhere, not even on Xpel’s own website. I did write them an email and waiting back to hear more about it’s specs (I’ll share once I do). I did find this one recent YouTube video and if true, seems to be rather compelling and as good as Photosync.

2.) Cost of Tinting the Windshield. Originally I wanted to tint the entire windshield in Spectra Photosync 75 to simply help reduce heat and uv rays. But if this XR Plus is as good as Photosync, I may go with their 70% film (don’t believe they have 75). I was quoted $400 to do the entire windshield with XR Plus. What sort of prices did people pay to have their entire windshield done in Photosync 75?

3.) Factory Tint Level. So if I end up tinting the windshield and front windows with Spectra Photosync or Xpel Prime XR Plus, I’m tempted to perhaps go over the factory tinted areas (FWD windows, top windows, and hatch back rear window) with a light film just to improve heat rejection. Does anyone know the quality of the factory tint? The level of permissible light, and how much solar energy or heat rejection it does? It’s not gonna be cheap to do all of that glass, and seems somewhat excess if they’re already tinted. Has anyone done something similar, tinting the already factory tinted glass with a light film, like Photosync 75, to improve heat rejection?

Thanks for the input!

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
I have a recently purchased Model X that I’d like to have tinted. So there’s a few topics I’d like to discuss and figure out.

1.) Comparison of Tints. The consensus here seems to go with the Spectra Photosync by Prestige Films. It’s been somewhat difficult to find shops that deal with that film here in the Portland, OR area. Though one shop brought my attention to a just released Plus version of Xpel’s Prime XR. There’s virtually no information of it anywhere, not even on Xpel’s own website. I did write them an email and waiting back to hear more about it’s specs (I’ll share once I do). I did find this one recent YouTube video and if true, seems to be rather compelling and as good as Photosync.

2.) Cost of Tinting the Windshield. Originally I wanted to tint the entire windshield in Spectra Photosync 75 to simply help reduce heat and uv rays. But if this XR Plus is as good as Photosync, I may go with their 70% film (don’t believe they have 75). I was quoted $400 to do the entire windshield with XR Plus. What sort of prices did people pay to have their entire windshield done in Photosync 75?

3.) Factory Tint Level. So if I end up tinting the windshield and front windows with Spectra Photosync or Xpel Prime XR Plus, I’m tempted to perhaps go over the factory tinted areas (FWD windows, top windows, and hatch back rear window) with a light film just to improve heat rejection. Does anyone know the quality of the factory tint? The level of permissible light, and how much solar energy or heat rejection it does? It’s not gonna be cheap to do all of that glass, and seems somewhat excess if they’re already tinted. Has anyone done something similar, tinting the already factory tinted glass with a light film, like Photosync 75, to improve heat rejection?

Thanks for the input!

I am going to try the new XPEL tint.

Me too. The new Xpel Prime XR Plus seems as good as Photosync. I have an appointment to cover the windshield in 70% and all other factory tinted windows in 70% as well, simply to improve heat and uv rejection. The front windows I’ll tint to about 35% or to match. He quoted me $1000 for the whole thing

Pretty much what I’m doing but going dark 10% or lower minus the front windshield.

I had 35% on front windows when I had my 2016. Since then I’ve always felt it wasn’t dark enough for privacy. Many people liked to peak into our car back in the days, sometimes my wife was breastfeeding so fast forward to 2018 I got a new X and got 25% on the front windows. Now I think it might be too dark but at the same time it’s the level that allows some privacy as my wife is once again breastfeeding. Paid 160$ both times, mobile tint. It would have cheaper if not the tiny quarter glass. I think it’s suntek carbon film. Personally don’t really care about the premium films that cost few times more.

Don't forget to coat the exterior of the windshield - especially after paying for the piece of tint for the inside thereof. The new front end style seems to attract rocks to the windshield moreso than the S nosecone design. For tint, I've twice used Photosync 75, which is essentially invisible but pricey as one does tend to get what one pays for in the world of tint.

For that exterior coating, I used C-Bond Nanoshield, which was inexpensive to have applied and has a decent warranty. Now, I have no idea who is authorized to apply that in Portland, but should you venture into Los Angeles, mine was done at Extreme Autowerks (Brea, CA).

The biggest advantage I've noticed from windshield tint is the significant reduction in glare. I use an opaque collapsible sunscreen and the combination of that and the tint heat rejection has been useful for heat reduction as well.

I would also *strongly* recommend another C-Bond product (C-Bond I, iirc) as an additive during the tint application process - it makes the glass more resistant to break-ins (note rear small windows at least for the S). Again, contact Extreme Autowerks and ask for Bing if you can't find a source in Portland. You're only going to get the windows tinted once - a road trip to LA is not the most unreasonable idea - you can parlay it into a trip to Disneyland or the southernmost redwoods/sequoias in the Brea hills (county park) or, better yet, proper ale at The Bruery or Noble Ale Works or similar (heresy to a Portlander what with Cascade and DeGarde, but hey - the lone guest tap at DeGarde *was* Gypsy Tart from The Bruery, after all).

Good luck narrowing all of this down. As noted, I've done the Photosync and C-Bond thing for each car and have zero regrets. I will say that a large part of that has been the quality of the installation and follow-up service - which has been stellar every time at Extreme Autowerks/Reveal Detailing. Surely there must be similar in Portland but if not, you may find the trip to LA worthwhile. Also quality work in the Bay Area, certainly, but the weather is better in LA *ducks*.

Reactions: onlinespending
Don't forget to coat the exterior of the windshield - especially after paying for the piece of tint for the inside thereof. The new front end style seems to attract rocks to the windshield moreso than the S nosecone design. For tint, I've twice used Photosync 75, which is essentially invisible but pricey as one does tend to get what one pays for in the world of tint.

For that exterior coating, I used C-Bond Nanoshield, which was inexpensive to have applied and has a decent warranty. Now, I have no idea who is authorized to apply that in Portland, but should you venture into Los Angeles, mine was done at Extreme Autowerks (Brea, CA).

The biggest advantage I've noticed from windshield tint is the significant reduction in glare. I use an opaque collapsible sunscreen and the combination of that and the tint heat rejection has been useful for heat reduction as well.

I would also *strongly* recommend another C-Bond product (C-Bond I, iirc) as an additive during the tint application process - it makes the glass more resistant to break-ins (note rear small windows at least for the S). Again, contact Extreme Autowerks and ask for Bing if you can't find a source in Portland. You're only going to get the windows tinted once - a road trip to LA is not the most unreasonable idea - you can parlay it into a trip to Disneyland or the southernmost redwoods/sequoias in the Brea hills (county park) or, better yet, proper ale at The Bruery or Noble Ale Works or similar (heresy to a Portlander what with Cascade and DeGarde, but hey - the lone guest tap at DeGarde *was* Gypsy Tart from The Bruery, after all).

Good luck narrowing all of this down. As noted, I've done the Photosync and C-Bond thing for each car and have zero regrets. I will say that a large part of that has been the quality of the installation and follow-up service - which has been stellar every time at Extreme Autowerks/Reveal Detailing. Surely there must be similar in Portland but if not, you may find the trip to LA worthwhile. Also quality work in the Bay Area, certainly, but the weather is better in LA *ducks*.

So just by chance I found an installer by me who does Photosync and clearguard. I have heard both products are a cut above anything else. I am getting a quote and hear good things about him.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
What qualities makes Spectra Photosync the consensus favorite among TMC members?

Just on our end alone, we have installed Photosync and Ceraluxe to over 3300 Tesla Model Ss (since late 2012) and Xs (since Jan 2016). Below are the benefits by comparison to other films:

1. Heat rejection - the two films boast the highest heat rejection in the industry
2. With improved heat rejection, you are no longer using your AC system as much, which means less power used.
3. With its tech, you don't have to go dark to achieve high heat rejection. For example, Photosync 55% would block out more heat than a 5% limo tint. Here is our test:

Another test we did side by side. 2 black Teslas. There was a 36 degree differential on the rear facing seats area in just 30 minutes.
Spectra photosync nano tint - 991 silver - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (go to post #20)

Just on our end alone, we have installed Photosync and Ceraluxe to over 3300 Tesla Model Ss (since late 2012) and Xs (since Jan 2016). Below are the benefits by comparison to other films:

1. Heat rejection - the two films boast the highest heat rejection in the industry
2. With improved heat rejection, you are no longer using your AC system as much, which means less power used.
3. With its tech, you don't have to go dark to achieve high heat rejection. For example, Photosync 55% would block out more heat than a 5% limo tint. Here is our test:

Another test we did side by side. 2 black Teslas. There was a 36 degree differential on the rear facing seats area in just 30 minutes.
Spectra photosync nano tint - 991 silver - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (go to post #20)

Let me ask you a question I really like the heat reduction but I’m huge on privacy. It looks like the film is very light. What should I do?

Photosync shades available: 75, 65, 55, 45, and 35 (numbers stand for visible light transmission, so the lower the number the darker it gets)

Ceraluxe IRD: 70, 45, 33, and 20

Yeah I'm tracking that but, those are pretty light IMO. I like to have complete privacy in my vehicle as part of my job is on the other worse side of things. 20% is still pretty see through I have it on my vehicle now. Is there a technique you could offer to maybe stack or something of that nature? I'm usually a 10-5% type person.

Yeah I'm tracking that but, those are pretty light IMO. I like to have complete privacy in my vehicle as part of my job is on the other worse side of things. 20% is still pretty see through I have it on my vehicle now. Is there a technique you could offer to maybe stack or something of that nature? I'm usually a 10-5% type person.

Prestige Film Technologies' films are really not designed for darkness. These are part of a new class of Nano IR window films that don't need to go dark to block out heat. There are, however, many other types of window tint on the market that drops all the way down to 5%.

• Informative
Reactions: GOPJEW