Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All things tint: tinting windshield, factory tint levels, and tinting comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
35% photosync all around P100D ..no windshield tint

Attachments

• FE57DA42-9001-42C1-B766-5F19C131F473.jpeg
    FE57DA42-9001-42C1-B766-5F19C131F473.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 294
Reactions: xyeahtony
Thanks for bringing this into a single thread.
I definitely want to do the driver's side windows darker; and if it's going in I might just have tint done all around.

1) Do any of you do any tinting on the roof of the falcon doors? I'm going to have a kiddo (hopefully 2 someday) in carseats looking upwards.

2) What cutouts have you requested for the AP cameras? What about those who have done their windshield. I really don't want to impact the long-term viability of FSD by coating the car in PPF and Tint.

Nick

1) I did all my windows except windshield in photosync 35 ..I did do upper falcon wing windows and definitely noticeable

2) didn’t do windshield as I don’t like the hazing I have seen in other installs ..IMO windshield is not needed

Thinking about tinting the windshield and front windows but have some questions.

First, this car is leased, is tinting a problem on lease turn it?
Second, I am in Northern California and I know California has rules about window tinting. Can you even tint the front side windows in California?
Third, I have noticed the sun really penetrates the windshield on top of my head. What I would like to do is just tint that part and also have it match the gradation of the factory windshield.
Fourth, any recommendations for a tint shop in the East bay? I am in the Dublin area.

Thanks in advance!

Thinking about tinting the windshield and front windows but have some questions.

Second, I am in Northern California and I know California has rules about window tinting. Can you even tint the front side windows in California?
Third, I have noticed the sun really penetrates the windshield on top of my head. What I would like to do is just tint that part and also have it match the gradation of the factory windshield.
Fourth, any recommendations for a tint shop in the East bay? I am in the Dublin area.

Thanks in advance!

1) no issues
2) it is illegal in CA for any tint on front ...however cops won’t usually pull you over for tint ..they write that up when they pull you over for other traffic violation
3) I have seen this done IMO doesn’t look good ...I drive in desert a lot and have no issues with factory tint on windshield ..
4) sorry I’m in SoCal :(

Reactions: r0xx0r
3) I have seen this done IMO doesn’t look good ...I drive in desert a lot and have no issues with factory tint on windshield ..

I'm debating this same thing. I would possibly want the factory tint to be a little darker, but on all of my test drives, I've never really had an issue with it. I think I may just do a full single piece of air 90 on the front to reduce total incoming heat since I live in texas and anything to help with heat would be appreciated.

It's expensive to tint that windshield though because it's so large, so I have to think long and hard about it. I think it's about $500-600 for the windshield alone. The rest of the car is like $450

Reactions: P85_DA

Thanks in advance!

I tinted just the top windshield . Pic of my results in middle of thread here: Adding partial tint to top of windshield? Reasonable idea or no?

Personally I love it. Significantly decreases brightness and heat, and I can still enjoy the view. I did not see if they could match gradient, but the line doesn't bother me.

Did the tint shop do the entire front windshield with Llumar Air 80? My local tint shop said that they were not able to do the windshield.

The Model X windshield is likely one of the most difficult glass of any modern day car because of its size and curvature. The size is about double that of the Model Ss. With that large of a glass this also means there is immense curvature to which the film needs to be heat shrunk to conform to the curvature of the window. This is where most tint installers have a problem with. We know of just a handful of installers in the world that can do the Model X windshield in a single piece.

The Model X windshield is likely one of the most difficult glass of any modern day car because of its size and curvature. The size is about double that of the Model Ss. With that large of a glass this also means there is immense curvature to which the film needs to be heat shrunk to conform to the curvature of the window. This is where most tint installers have a problem with. We know of just a handful of installers in the world that can do the Model X windshield in a single piece.

What is your price for tinting the Model X windshield?

Lol